I just bought a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (new in box). I got it home and the cabinet is cracked on both sides, pretty badly. No worries, I'll exchange it, but it has me worrying about paying $500 for an amp that has $10 of cheap plyboard holding it together.

Are all amp containers/cabinets this flimsy?
Quote by Skyyr
I just bought a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (new in box). I got it home and the cabinet is cracked on both sides, pretty badly. No worries, I'll exchange it, but it has me worrying about paying $500 for an amp that has $10 of cheap plyboard holding it together.

Are all amp containers/cabinets this flimsy?

Most amps are plywood. The cheaper the amp the cheaper the materials.
Something happened to that amp, cabs don't just crack.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My Cornford is made out of solid pine with a ply baffle, very sturdy and sounds great. With that said pretty much all the quality cabs are made from plywood, often Birch ply and they are nigh on indestructable.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
There are some solid wood cabs, and some particle board cabs as well, the vast majority of cabs are probably going to be ply.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Marshall & Mesa cabs are generally birch ply. The cheap budget cabs are either chip(particle)board or MDF. Marshalls MG cabs are MDF, coupled with cheap speakers they sound like liquid shit!!! Their 1960 & 1936 cabs, with better speakers, sound totally different. Birch ply is much more expensive than most people realise & is used in construction for structural purposes. As stated above, the amp has been damaged somehow, best to return it & ask them not to drop the next one off the roof before they send it out!! :-D
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
As much as "tone purists" will cry about ply, usually a ply board is stronger than a solid wood one. Of course there's cheap ply and really cheap ply, but generally a ply cab should be strong enough for regular abuse. If something has cracked then it's likely the piece has been poorly treated and damaged and the material is irrelevant at that point.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
plywood is voidless and doesn't resonate as much, it is usually considered a preferable material over solid woods because of it's resistance to flexing and vibrating.

nicer cabs tend to use marine grade birch ply, this material is fairly light, voidless and is treated to resist moisture. it isn't super tough material though.

older cabinets used pine (like old fenders) and they have their own tonal qualities, but since most the old growth pine is cut down and/or expensive they have moved away from that material. you can find some custom cab makers that will make solid wood cabs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae