Hi i need some suggestions on a high out put bridge pickup that floyd squealies(dime squeals type of stuff) can be heard clearly. Other requirements are that it cant be a mid scooped pickup, cant be active, and has to be 4 wire conductor too.I was thinking S.D. jb but i have never tried it before. btw it is going into a bc rich mockingbird st
Last edited by Ibanez016 at Apr 21, 2013,
It is more technique than the pickup, but check the Duncan SH-6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
alright thanks,my first floyd in a while but i am tired of the duncan designed pickups i have right now i'll check that out the sh-6
Just remember you will need an F spaced pickup for your Floyd rose guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Honestly, it's all about technique. You can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic if your technique is clean enough. As far as pickups go, a lower-output pickup will make harmonics clearer, if anything, though if you're not hitting them cleanly enough in the first place then it's irrelevant.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i can hit them but i just wanted them to ring out longer. my options for that are get a compressor(more background noise) or get new pups(new sound plus notes will last slightly longer). or spend lots of $$$ on a sustainiac
If you want them to last longer try lowering your pickups it will stop the magnets pulling on the string so much it may also lower the output a little bit but it might give you cleaner longer harmonics. If you want check out the Dimebucker from Seymour Duncan, Dimebags sig pickup, also a lot of Dimarzio pickups have very little string pull but still quite high output.
thanks for the advice I'll lower my pickups but i am biased against dimarzio's for some reason and i dont like the dimebucker because i think the mids are scooped too much for me
Well bear in mind that pickups can only ffect the response you get. They can't offer actual compression or more sustain. The part about pickups with strong magnets negatively effecting sustain certainly is true, though.

Again, if you really want to get harmonics to stand out as much as possible, low-output pickups are the key. See Billy Gibbons' use of low output PAF copies for an example. Active pickups also do it well because at their heart an active pickup is a low-output pickup. Higher-output pickups won't let harmonics stand out as well because they cancel so many frequencies and emphasise the fundamental tone rather than overtones and harmonics.
If you insist on a higher-output pickup which vaguely represents harmonics better than most, the top options are the Seymour Duncan Full Shred and DiMarzio Evo. SD Custom and DM Evo 2 are the next-best (in fact they're virtually identical, they're just a little less harsh).

Do bear in mind that pickups are only really for tweaking the response you get from your guitar. The vast, vast majority of your sound is dictated by your amp and the guitar's construction. If it is just harmonics that you wish to make clearer, a pickup swap might help you provided your technique is already spot-on (and when I say "spot-on", I don't mean "good for a bedroom player", I mean Steve Vai levels of accuracy). Of course if your technique is at all hazy, getting more sensitive, clearer pickups will just emphasise your mistakes and how you're not hitting harmonics cleanly. It's a double-edged sword.

It also sounds like you've fallen for marketing a bit: the Dimebucker is mids-heavy, not mid-scooped; a sustainiac won't have any effect on pinch harmonics beyond it's usual effect of making a string vibrate for longer; new pickups will only tweak response, not give you a "new sound" and notes will not "last longer"; and a compressor does increase noise a little, but when you're using properly shielded humbuckers this should not be an issue, though it also won't make harmonics stand out any further.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
thanks for giving a better understanding on what i should do and what i had incorrect . my technique is i guess good(stand up while playing a small show dont have any ''big gigs yet'') so do you have any other low output passive pickups to recommend?thanks
You really don't get any better for harmonics than Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and the DiMarzio PAF Pro. PG is alnico 2 and has a slightly softer sound to it, PAF Pro is alnico 5 and has a slightly tighter sound. SD Seth Lover and Gibson Burstbuckers are also really good for harmonics, but they're not wax potted and have a bit of noise to them, which makes them no good if you're playing with much gain. If you have a bit more money to throw around, 'scatterwound' pickups (Bill Lawrence, Bare Knuckle, etc) give you the most harmonic content.

Depends on your amp, though. Your amp is the most important part of your sound. Depending on what it is, you may be better off with very different pickups. If you have an amp which is inherently high-gain then pickup output should be kept as low as possible to maximise clarity; high output is wasted when your amp can already deliver all the distortion you want. If your amp is more of a mid-gain one, though, then you might find you need to make a compromise between the clarity and response of lower-output pickups and the drive of higher-output ones. In that case, something like a Seymour Duncan '59/Custom Hybrid or DiMarzio Air Norton will be a better fit.
Quote by MrFlibble
Honestly, it's all about technique. You can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic if your technique is clean enough. As far as pickups go, a lower-output pickup will make harmonics clearer, if anything, though if you're not hitting them cleanly enough in the first place then it's irrelevant.

This. I was surprised at how nice the harmonics were on my classical.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I have an Ibanez RGR1570 with stock crappy Ibanez pickups, no problem with squeals at all. It's technique more than pickups.
^ Yup, this really an not be stressed enough. People often look at pickup swaps as being some cheap get-out-of-jail-free card when they can't get something to come out right. Nine times out of ten—and ninety-nine times out of a hundred when it comes to pinch harmonics—it's really just down to technique and no pickup swap will help.