Page 1 of 2
I've a friend who is finishing school the next month, she is planning to study in an undisclosed university in the UK with her funding being the student debt.

I haven't yet decided whether or not I should support or oppose it. The education in my country is provided absolutely free whilst also providing scholarships and bonuses. The biggest problem I see with her getting education in UK is the fact that she'd have to take a loan.

I would see little problem with this if she wanted to go into a highly technological field, or something very specific that might not be present in the nearby universities, but it isn't the case.

So I wanted to hear more about education for foreigners in the UK and about the whole student loan, basically, to weigh the arguments.
Yes. Not doing it if you can is stupid, and at the end of the day you only end up paying an insignificant amount per month extra tax to pay for it.

Also, stop being a judgmental bore and let her do what she wants. If she's planning to go to uni soon then she's obviously old enough to make her own mistakes.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
So, sorry wait, what's your problem? You don't know whether to "oppose" your friend's decision to study abroad? Why would you?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by Todd Hart
Yes. Not doing it if you can is stupid, and at the end of the day you only end up paying an insignificant amount per month extra tax to pay for it.

Also, stop being a judgmental bore and let her do what she wants. If she's planning to go to uni soon then she's obviously old enough to make her own mistakes.

You could apply similar advice.

Quote by McTodd
So, sorry wait, what's your problem? You don't know whether to "oppose" your friend's decision to study abroad? Why would you?

It's an interesting question. Why wouldn't I support or oppose something a relative would want to do?
Last edited by Aralingh at Apr 21, 2013,
Quote by Aralingh
You could apply similar advice.

#stillbeingajudgmentalbore
Quote by Todd Hart
#stillbeingajudgmentalbore

I never implied I wasn't.
ts is jealous ze isnt studying abroad
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
> Judgemental bores telling other judgemental bores no to be judgemental bores.

I'll just call you all hypocritical judgemental bores and leave this thread.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
ts is jealous ze isnt studying abroad

Not really.
You should ask gangis.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
If she wants to go then she wants to go.

Not sure why she'd want to go the the UK though
Quote by Todd Hart

This.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

why pay for something you can get for free?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Aralingh
I've a friend who is finishing school the next month, she is planning to study in an undisclosed university in the UK with her funding being the student debt.

I haven't yet decided whether or not I should support or oppose it. The education in my country is provided absolutely free whilst also providing scholarships and bonuses. The biggest problem I see with her getting education in UK is the fact that she'd have to take a loan.

I would see little problem with this if she wanted to go into a highly technological field, or something very specific that might not be present in the nearby universities, but it isn't the case.

So I wanted to hear more about education for foreigners in the UK and about the whole student loan, basically, to weigh the arguments.

Hard to say. Where does she come from?

I find there are some countries that definitely regard British education as superior.

Go to Spain, Portugal, Italy, even Germany, with a degree from the UK and people will be impressed. I went to Spain on holiday, got talking to this one Spanish dude, and as soon as I said I was studying in Scotland he said "Oh, are you at St. Andrews?" (which I am not lol wut do ah look like a wanker m8?), so that does show that it has some meaning.

Also, when my I told my German grandma that I was going to study in Scotland she talked to my mom all worried saying that "Your son isn't posh enough to study in Scotland!"

Like, what, do they think I'll be drinking tea with the Queen or some shit? God. Damn.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Apr 21, 2013,
Quote by TunerAddict

From my understanding, she lacks diversity in her life and wants to move to a more cultural location, meet more people and such. Such an argument doesn't really make much sense to me since she'll be meeting a lot of new people either way, and I don't think that people in UK are really much nicer anyway.

Quote by TunerAddict

I doubt to find any rational reason to justify this, honestly.

Quote by huwford
What is she doing?

This is actually what bothers me, she wants to go into standard financial career education for which can be easily obtained here. I can certainly understand going to the most scientifically progressive universities to get an education in science, but she wants to do basic finance work.

Quote by Philip_pepper
Hard to say. Where does she come from?

I find there are some countries that definitely regard British education as superior.

Go to Spain, Portugal, Italy, even Germany, with a degree from the UK and people will be impressed. I went to Spain on holiday, got talking to this one Spanish dude, and as soon as I said I was studying in Scotland he said "Oh, are you at St. Andrews?" (which I am not lol wut do ah look like a wanker m8?), so that does show that it has some meaning.

Also, when my I told my German grandma that I was going to study in Scotland she talked to my mom all worried saying that "Your son isn't posh enough to study in Scotland!"

Like, what, do they think I'll be drinking tea with the Queen or some shit? God. Damn.

Her family is Russian, but she lives in Estonia is a citizen, with her school results free education is pretty much guaranteed in every university in any field, which isn't something she is even aiming for, since as I said, she wants to go into finance.
Depends.
Which university - some are much better than others - UK has quite a few in world top 100.
What subject? - is the uni she has chosen well known for this subject?
Does she have ambition to work in UK or other English speaking countries?
Technology + native foreign language speaker is very employable in UK.
Quote by PSimonR
Depends.
Which university - some are much better than others - UK has quite a few in world top 100.
What subject? - is the uni she has chosen well known for this subject?
Does she have ambition to work in UK or other English speaking countries?
Technology + native foreign language speaker is very employable in UK.

No specific university, but generally into the direction of finance. I do think she wants to work there later.
Quote by Aralingh
From my understanding, she lacks diversity in her life and wants to move to a more cultural location,

Idiotic. She should save nine grand and study for free.

meet more people and such. Such an argument doesn't really make much sense to me since she'll be meeting a lot of new people either way, and I don't think that people in UK are really much nicer anyway.

Yeah i agree on this

I doubt to find any rational reason to justify this, honestly.

That's because there isn't based on the information supplied. However as the guy above me says depending on the exact practice and intent it could be ultimately beneficial, though the fact she would be an immigrant may cause financial difficulties concerning the student loan side of things, as that's a rat maze for someone native to the UK

What I'd say is that you are right to question her considering this because from a purely logical perspective she's being ****ing stupid. From an emotional perspective, you shouldn't cheapen her chosen subject which she is passionate about (unless she's doing it for the money, in which case I've got a whole load of shit to throw at her).
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 21, 2013,
So you are potentially "opposing" your friends decision to study elsewhere? Would her decision to study in the uk offend you? Anyway yes she would be getting into a lot of debt, especially if she went to england. Ive attended university in scotland and got a student loan. Racked up around £8000 of debt. This is paid back back only when you start earning over a certain amount each year, and is paid back in very small amount coming directly and automatically off your paycheck. Tuition fees were covered by the scottish government agency saas, which are all offered to non UK students also. Would certainly be a good experience.
Quote by Banjocal

Yeah i agree on this

That's because there isn't based on the information supplied. However as the guy above me says depending on the exact practice and intent it could be ultimately beneficial, though the fact she would be an immigrant may cause financial difficulties concerning the student loan side of things, as that's a rat maze for someone native to the UK

What I'd say is that you are right to question her considering this because from a purely logical perspective she's being ****ing stupid. From an emotional perspective, you shouldn't cheapen her chosen subject which she is passionate about (unless she's doing it for the money, in which case I've got a whole load of shit to throw at her).

lol @ judging higher education from a financial perspective
Quote by Todd Hart
lol @ judging higher education from a financial perspective

I know it's a difficult subject and I can see why someone might do it, but going into a subject you're indifferent to or maybe even loathing simply to get more cash doesn't make sense to me. You spend a huge amount of your life working. At least make it something you find at least slightly enjoyable.

Quote by dweb23
So you are potentially "opposing" your friends decision to study elsewhere? Would her decision to study in the uk offend you?

There's a difference between:

A: Considering someone's decision illogical
B: Opposing someone's decision
C: Being offended by someone's decision
ha-haaa
Bear in mind international students pay a lot for tuition fees. Averaging around £11k/year.

edit - sorry forgot Estonia is in the EU - normal fees

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Last edited by Blayney at Apr 21, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal

Yeah i agree on this

Well, that is exactly the issue. It would seem to me that she doesn't really particularly know what she wants, I don't consider that an arrogant idea, since I myself very often don't know what I want, but I don't take thousands of pounds in loan to achieve something I know that I might not even want in the end.

No, I don't try to insult her based on the chosen area of interest, I'm just pointing out that if your specific field was somewhat specific and unique, one that requires very advanced technology, THEN it would make real sense to move to a very scientifically-progressive country where such technology is available to universities.

Quote by dweb23
So you are potentially "opposing" your friends decision to study elsewhere? Would her decision to study in the uk offend you? Anyway yes she would be getting into a lot of debt, especially if she went to england. Ive attended university in scotland and got a student loan. Racked up around £8000 of debt. This is paid back back only when you start earning over a certain amount each year, and is paid back in very small amount coming directly and automatically off your paycheck. Tuition fees were covered by the scottish government agency saas, which are all offered to non UK students also. Would certainly be a good experience.

Yes, I potentially oppose my friends' decision, and I will intentionally oppose were I to come to a conclusion that it's a bad decision. Her decision would only offend me in the same way that I am offended by being of the same species as the unintelligent people I would often encounter.

Quote by Blayney
Bear in mind international students pay a lot for tuition fees. Averaging around £11k/year.

edit - sorry forgot Estonia is in the EU - normal fees

It's still quite a large sum of money. And an unnecessary one at that, as I have pointed out previously.
Quote by Banjocal
I know it's a difficult subject and I can see why someone might do it, but going into a subject you're indifferent to or maybe even loathing simply to get more cash doesn't make sense to me. You spend a huge amount of your life working. At least make it something you find at least slightly enjoyable.

There's a difference between:

A: Considering someone's decision illogical
B: Opposing someone's decision
C: Being offended by someone's decision

Yes i know. TS said he/she may be opposed to the decision. I was just wondering why although its not really relevant anyway.
Quote by Aralingh
Well, that is exactly the issue. It would seem to me that she doesn't really particularly know what she wants,

Well that's a common thing and if anything, she will find mental sustenance and likely time to find herself at uni.

I don't consider that an arrogant idea, since I myself very often don't know what I want, but I don't take thousands of pounds in loan to achieve something I know that I might not even want in the end.

Well, continuing the above, a ten grand debt will not help, and it's wholly unnecessary. If she were studying art and chose to go to Nottingham Trent or something, I would get that (or indeed, your scientific example).

No, I don't try to insult her based on the chosen area of interest, I'm just pointing out that if your specific field was somewhat specific and unique, one that requires very advances technology, THEN it would make real sense to move to a very scientifically-progressive country where such technology is available to universities.
I was mostly getting at how you used "just". Sorry. Probably reading too much into it.

ha-haaa
Quote by Nero Galon
She should try America, I heard they love Russians.

This is quite an interesting question you raise actually since she's considering UK only whilst not having chosen a specific university as of yet.
Quote by Aralingh
This is quite an interesting question you raise actually since she's considering UK only whilst not having chosen a specific university as of yet.

I was kinda joking, y'know with the Boston Bombers being Russian n' all :P

From what i'm told by my advisers, they tell me and everyone else that Uni's like it when you attend the open days... Obviously that wont be exactly possible as a foreign student so that may not be important.

But yeah, if shes serious then she really needs to do her research because there are plenty of Uni's to choose from, some way better than others.

The average Uni costs around £5-£9k a year at the moment, due to go up soon.

But yeah, she wants to first shortlist her best options and then seek more advise from people in similar positions or communicate with the Uni's somehow.
Quote by Nero Galon
I was kinda joking, y'know with the Boston Bombers being Russian n' all :P

From what i'm told by my advisers, they tell me and everyone else that Uni's like it when you attend the open days... Obviously that wont be exactly possible as a foreign student so that may not be important.

But yeah, if shes serious then she really needs to do her research because there are plenty of Uni's to choose from, some way better than others.

The average Uni costs around £5-£9k a year at the moment, due to go up soon.

But yeah, she wants to first shortlist her best options and then seek more advise from people in similar positions or communicate with the Uni's somehow.

Russian isn't really a race, it's a nationality, and they aren't that.
Whoa, guys, one second!

I understand the English have to pay 9K a year, but do EU students not have to pay anything?

I know in Scotland it's free for Scottish and EU students, but not for English students. Could it be that TS' friend doesn't have to pay diddly squat?
I'll take this from the point of view that disregards the financial/ practical sides of the issue. I'm currently studying at university in the UK and absolutely love it, the course, the people and social life are all amazing.
For me personally I would jump at the chance to go and study abroad, travelling is a great thing to do and living and learning/working abroad even better. She will gain more confidence and broaden her horizons just by doing that, so in that regard I would fully support it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Whoa, guys, one second!

I understand the English have to pay 9K a year, but do EU students not have to pay anything?

I know in Scotland it's free for Scottish and EU students, but not for English students. Could it be that TS' friend doesn't have to pay diddly squat?

She definitely has to pay, the English are EU students themselves actually as well. I don't know about this "free for ol' scotts" thing.

Quote by charlie__flynn
I'll take this from the point of view that disregards the financial/ practical sides of the issue. I'm currently studying at university in the UK and absolutely love it, the course, the people and social life are all amazing.
For me personally I would jump at the chance to go and study abroad, travelling is a great thing to do and living and learning/working abroad even better. She will gain more confidence and broaden her horizons just by doing that, so in that regard I would fully support it.

But your point is based on a premise that this experience would be unique to UK or foreign universities.
Quote by Aralingh
She definitely has to pay, the English are EU students themselves actually as well. I don't know about this "free for ol' scotts" thing.

lol the English are very ANTI-EU.

I'm German/Portuguese, and I don't pay anything in Scotland. I thought it'd be the same if I chose to study in England. However, if Scots want to study in England, they also have to pay higher fees.

Confusing, eh?

Anyway, tell her to study in Scotland. Problem solved. Everybody happy.
Quote by Philip_pepper
lol the English are very ANTI-EU.

I'm German/Portuguese, and I don't pay anything in Scotland. I thought it'd be the same if I chose to study in England. However, if Scots want to study in England, they also have to pay higher fees.

Confusing, eh?

Anyway, tell her to study in Scotland. Problem solved. Everybody happy.

Scotland has free education?

Is Scotland still part of the UK by the way?
Quote by Aralingh
Scotland has free education?

Is Scotland still part of the UK by the way?

Hell yeah, for better or worse.

But I'd have a good read around, I know there was talk about charging people, but I'm not sure what happened. After I got in I stopped giving a damn.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Hell yeah, for better or worse.

But I'd have a good read around, I know there was talk about charging people, but I'm not sure what happened. After I got in I stopped giving a damn.

Hmm, interesting, I might consider that if it's free.

How far does it go for free, though, does it go up to PhD, since I'm finishing bachelor in a year or two.
Page 1 of 2