Hey guys, I've been painting vh guitars forever and am wondering what design should I do yet. I currently only own a vh1 guitar I built, but I have a one hum, one volume, input on the side and a maple neck and strat head stock. I've already attempted trying a vh2 bumblebee design but the yellow paint I got sucked and wrinkled under the clear....So what do you guys think unchained (id have to drill a front strat jack), 5150? Rasta?
Frankenstein...obviously. Going to do a modern (not relic'd) one myself in the near future.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by PatDillon5515
i was thinkin that myself but it doesnt have the single coil area...just one route

If you do it right you're gonna have to hack it up anyway, just draw it up and route it out. And aren't the 5150s all Kramer headstocks?

Edit: Depending on how faithful to the original you want to be, I planned on just doing a single EVH HB version (similar to the new EVH models coming out), not relic'd, but a nice tribute guitar with the same red/white/black paint scheme. So if a semi-close tribute is what you want you can just use the single route body as is.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Apr 21, 2013,
Similar to this http://www.evhgear.com/new2013/

Going with Warmoth chambered ash body and birdseye maple neck, EVH frankenbucker, OFR w/D-Tuna, one vol "tone" knob, and the famous paint scheme. Should be fun. On that note, any paint tips? Lol, Have not tried to replicate it before.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
i like the bbee but i cant find any yellow lacquer. but as for tips id say make sure you sand the primer well, use lacquer if possible, give each color plenty of dried time and dont go too heavy on the coats.
a few years ago some guys on a forum in new zealand did a franken thread where we all made one...I went for a bumblebee but just when I finished painting it I changed my mind and dad a hulkenstrat instead.......

Why not take it in the spirit of eddie and do something unique??
awwww ****ing sexy dude....but yea that routew is off.....got an ibanez roadstar body on ebay for 40 bucks.....some sanding and its gunna be a vh
Quote by PatDillon5515
how do you post pics?

Need to use Photobucket or similar site to upload first, then link to it. There's a sticky on the subject on the Forum homepage.

Instructions on how to here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748602

I guess you can use a photo on your computer as well...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Apr 24, 2013,
Interesting choice, good luck!

That thick mahogany body must have weighed a ton! You should wear that outfit while building it...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Apr 24, 2013,
Quote by dkunick

That thick mahogany body must have weighed a ton!

not really, all the mahogany I have played has been pretty light. My mahogany V barely weighs anything at all
Quote by sytharnia1560
not really, all the mahogany I have played has been pretty light. My mahogany V barely weighs anything at all

Not sure of your point here since I doubt you have compared the two guitars to a standard strat body. I believe your V barely weighs anything from your perspective...could be a light variety of mahogany (just like many woods there are lighter and heavier depending on where they are grown/harvested), so could the Rude for that matter. Who knows what it really weighed. Ed's motivation was to counter the thin tone from the FR with a big solid chunk of wood about 2" thick. He also complained his star guitar was too heavy (I read all this on the internet so it must be true) and later gave it to Dweezil. I was just commenting really on how damn thick that original body was, and if made of mahogany it must have weighed far more than your average strat. Congrats on calling me out though, you got me.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
Not sure of your point here since I doubt you have compared the two guitars to a standard strat body. I believe your V barely weighs anything from your perspective...could be a light variety of mahogany (just like many woods there are lighter and heavier depending on where they are grown/harvested), so could the Rude for that matter. Who knows what it really weighed. Ed's motivation was to counter the thin tone from the FR with a big solid chunk of wood about 2" thick. He also complained his star guitar was too heavy (I read all this on the internet so it must be true) and later gave it to Dweezil. I was just commenting really on how damn thick that original body was, and if made of mahogany it must have weighed far more than your average strat. Congrats on calling me out though, you got me.

your welcome