Ahoy-hoy! I've embarked on a guitar building voyage, but I didn't begin this thread until now, when I'm (edit1: far less than) 75% done with it.
The concept was to coat a Telecaster in comic book pages and frames, something I've been toying with for a while. This is the original Kisekae mock-up.
Note the Stratocaster style pickguard, which has since been abandoned. Going for the Bullet vibe, there.

(edit2: check below for revised plan of attack and details)
Attachments:
comicaster2.png
Last edited by slimjimmypage at Jul 27, 2013,
The second mock-up I made wasn't saved to my hard drive, but it was essentially the same, only with a Tele Custom style pickguard. I haven't decided if I want to re-finish that with something, or leave it black. Maybe you'll all have some input on that.
I decided that decoupage would be the way to go for a finish made of paper. I didn't want to go through the hassle of wrapping the comics onto the sides because of corners and stuff. I decided to do the sides in green, pink, yellow, orange, and red construction paper. Here are pictures of in process refinishing and after finishing. I sprayed the front of it white with a rattle can to form a better background for the comics, but it ended up not mattering.
Attachments:
IMG_0309 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG
Here's the back after being finished with comics and comic book ads. I covered the decoupage with a healthy dosage Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer (some of my favorite lacquer), and it made it look aged. Fun fact about this lacquer: it starts out smelling like a carcinogen, then starts smelling like bleu cheese, and then black pepper.
Attachments:
err.jpg
I have the pickguard loaded up, but I want to add some awesome onboard effects. My friend (electronic wizard) is going to add an onboard o.d./gain knob on a push/pull, and a phase switch, but we both agree that there should be more wacky stuff. Any thoughts on that? Also, what type of Tele replacement neck should we affix to it? We're making this out of cheap parts, so I was thinking maybe a Squier neck or something. Any input on that would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Lookin good! With only two single coil pickups there isnt much fancy wiring you can do. Phase you have already planned, perhaps series/parallel? Any thoughts on more pickups?
Comic book effects... Grapple gun?

Looks really nice though dude, depending on your budget perhaps some MIDI effects? (Thinking Matt Bellamy for on-board effects, maybe check out his gear for some ideas?)
Wow, wow, wow, it's been awhile. I started this during spring break for that I'm not a debauchery type fellow, but I had other things to do up until now. I resumed the progress, but hadn't remembered this thread. So here goes, this is an update on my progress.

I've decided on the Starcaster headstock from back in the awesome times. I didn't want to do another decoupage on a beveled surface, so I decided on doing an emulation of the old Capitol Records 45 swirl because the Starcaster headstock reminds me of that design majorly. I just need to decide which combination I should use.

My pedal making buddy wanted to do the wiring, and I let him. He won't tell me what he's doing, but I know it involves a rocker switch, 5 toggles, and at least 2 9 volt batteries. Any guesses anyone?

I will attempt to post the pics he sent me later.

Thoughts on whether yellow on orange or orange on yellow for the headstock anyone?
Attachments:
comicaster headstock poifect ooy.jpg
Here are dem pictures. There are a few more, but I can't be bothered to dig them up. The first (maybe) is of the switches and knobs and stuff that I don't really know what they do (so guess!). The second is the rout that the batteries and circuitry will go in. Once again, guess your arses off. The final one is my neck in clamps. I got a new used pipe clamp the other day for $3 off a guy who's moving to Minnesota in August that I put to use here. It's awesome. I want to marry it. I also attached a picture of the headstock before gluing and crap. You can see that it needed some amendments. Any ideas or anything for the rest of the guitar would be much appreciated.
Attachments:
switches.jpg
rout.png
IMG_4893.2.jpg
IMG_4884.JPG
Quote by RebuildIt
Lookin good! With only two single coil pickups there isnt much fancy wiring you can do. Phase you have already planned, perhaps series/parallel? Any thoughts on more pickups?

So my friend is keeping the lid on the circuitry, but the pickups are both double coils. The neck is a "P180" (double coil P90-ish thing). I know they can be coil split, so phase and coil split are bound to make an appearance. What does a series/parallel switch do?
So here's an update that I'm pleased to be making:
I just shaped the main parts of the headstock: it came out pretty much as well as I could expect. I let my uncle's grizzled and wizened hands handle the band saw cuts (my practice runs on scrap pine boards didn't go too smoothly ), but I did all the finish sanding and stuff. I finished the main part of the neck with an Aged Oak gel stain, and it looks weathered and cool. Tomorrow we'll try to figure out how to bevel the edge (something that will be scary, frustrating, and moreover nerve-wracking) and then if that works, prime and first coat the headstock. I decided on an orange headstock with yellow swoopy highlight bevel part.

Any advice on how to bevel this thing like the Starcaster headstock is beveled would be much appreciated. My uncle's workshop is fairly well appointed, but there is nothing that immediately jumps to mind as a beveling tool.

It's 11:05 in Utah, though, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for me to re-size and upload them things.

If things keep going this well with the neck and everything, I'm going to remain very happy. My guess is that beveling is going to kick our asses.
This is the gel stain I decided on for the neck and the fretboard. The headstock needs to be beveled and then will be painted with enamel the colors of the Capitol 45 swirl.
Attachments:
IMG_4921ug.jpg
And here's the above mentioned close-up. Tonight we're attempting a bevel. Maybe. If we have big enough balls and have done enough research and tests on scrap boards.
Attachments:
IMG_4924ug.jpg
That could be the most Rock n' Roll looking guitar on the planet, and I might steel that idea
I'M FAT!!!!
Quote by afatguitarist
That could be the most Rock n' Roll looking guitar on the planet, and I might steel that idea

Theft is the sincerest form of flattery... right?
Thanks a bunch, definitely try this out sometime, it's relatively easy and very quirky!
So... beveling has gone ahead as scheduled.

And I kicked its ass.

After much deliberation, we decided on the grinder for the rough cuts and the engine rotor shaped Dremel sander for touch-ups, all followed by some 400b handpaper. By the way, I dibs the woodworking rapper name of Four Hunny B. Anyhow, it went really well. The only part I'm a little dissatisfied with is the hard grained Doug Fir tip extension which is a little wavy. I should have used the cherry scrap I found. Oh well, it's not the end of the world.

I then primed and sanded the whole shebang. Then it was orange paint time! I've done five coats on the top, and plan to leave it at that unless it's really bad looking. Then it's onto the back. And then the yellow bevel highlight. Which is the next butt clench moment.

Pictures momentarily.
I write this update with heavy heart and disappointed mind, for after leaving the headstock overnight and throughout the majority of the last two days (I had to return from llama packing early because two of the buggers got off stake and when two get off, they wander, and then the bad one injured himself on a boulder - it was a mess) I put another coat on, just to sharpen everything up and to make it really pretty looking. Sad to say, I didn't read accounts of issues with enamel and this waiting period, but it wrinkled. BAD. I'm too embarrassed and lazy to take a picture. It's that bad.

Anyhow, my solution is just to mail it back to my real home in Seattle and when I get there too, I'll sand it down until it's a little bit rough and then decoupage that sunuvagun with more comics to match the body. I think that will look just dandy. I guess I should say hope.

As disasters go, this is one... but at least the headstock shape is still intact. For the time being. It'll be a week or so until I post another update, but this is nearing completion.
Quote by slimjimmypage
I have the pickguard loaded up, but I want to add some awesome onboard effects. My friend (electronic wizard) is going to add an onboard o.d./gain knob on a push/pull, and a phase switch, but we both agree that there should be more wacky stuff.

Check out the Chandler Tone-X -- it's an active sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB). Think "parked wah." Actually very usable tonally. Mine's on a push-pull (rotate the knob to change the frequency boosted). http://www.chandlerguitars.com/electronics.html

Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Aww man that sucks. I thought this whole project was coming along beautifully and can't wait to see finished piece. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch. I think that it'll be smooth sailing from here on out. Once I decoupage and everything, the biggest worry I have is intonation and neck heel fit. After that, it's all done.
Quote by dspellman
Check out the Chandler Tone-X -- it's an active sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB). Think "parked wah." Actually very usable tonally. Mine's on a push-pull (rotate the knob to change the frequency boosted). http://www.chandlerguitars.com/electronics.html

I'm definitely going to suggest this to my friend. I think he's already finished this wiring though, and is happy with the results (so far), so it might go into a different guitar, but that definitely looks sweet.