Friend offered his micro terror for my ocd. Both are brand new. Would you pull the trigger?
YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉOᶰᶜᵉ
Let me get this straight...

You get a micro terror and your friend gets a mental disorder? Sound like a pretty good trade, for you at least.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i wouldn't. micro terror's a hybrid.

I suspect the OCD has solid state clipping.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
absolutely i would do it. yes.

however, in my head, i would either use that as a great little practice amp, or i would mad scientists style encorporate that into my righ with a channle switcher and use it like an od pedal, but an amp.

i would either run a stereo setup or find some kind of dummy load box that can handle the ohms and amp output but run it back into the front end of my amp. i am sure such thing exists.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
personally i would, its a steal, the micro terror has a 12ax7 in the preamp, and im assuming its similar to the valvetronix series from vox where the valve is the las part of the chain, meaning the signal will get tube warmth and breakup. the valvetronix amps sound really nice honestly i owned one for years and sold it to a friend who loves it. the ocd does what the micro terror would do, but without a tube... and its a ****ing amp haha, id say go for it you can find great overdrives (or a used ocd) for alot less than 150 if you want an overdrive later. youre essentially trading drive circuits and in this case both do the exact same thing to your signal, except the ocd sends it to the next part of the chain or amp (tube amp hopefully) while the terror does it all, dont be so quick to hate on hybrids just cuz iT dOnT Has all TuBeZ brooooo! haha cheers hope this helps
Last edited by bheim6 at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by bheim6
personally i would, its a steal, the micro terror has a 12ax7 in the preamp, and im assuming its similar to the valvetronix series from vox where the valve is the las part of the chain, meaning the signal will get tube warmth and breakup. the valvetronix amps sound really nice honestly i owned one for years and sold it to a friend who loves it. the ocd does what the micro terror would do, but without a tube... and its a ****ing amp haha, id say go for it you can find great overdrives (or a used ocd) for alot less than 150 if you want an overdrive later. youre essentially trading drive circuits and in this case both do the exact same thing to your signal, except the ocd sends it to the next part of the chain or amp (tube amp hopefully) while the terror does it all, dont be so quick to hate on hybrids just cuz iT dOnT Has all TuBeZ brooooo! haha cheers hope this helps

Bahahahahahahahahahahah.

But seriously TS. If you like the Micro terror and don't get much use out of the OCD, it's roughly a fair swap. We can't really make up your mind for you.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i must be high, because i could've sworn you just compared a pedal to an amp...

...but isnt that the whole point of this thread? ahhaaha
Quote by bheim6
...but isnt that the whole point of this thread? ahhaaha

no...this thread's about whether you'd trade one for the other, not comparing solid-state clipping circuits or lack thereof.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
no...this thread's about whether you'd trade one for the other, not comparing solid-state clipping circuits or lack thereof.

haha whatever you say, but im not so sure you understand as much about circuits as you seem to think
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i must be high, because i could've sworn you just compared a pedal to an amp...

Hey man, if we're going to exclude pieces of gear simply because they contain solid state components we have to do it across the board, right?

Just sounded a little funny to say 'don't trade that solid state clipping device for that amp; it has solid state clipping!'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by bheim6

Quote by bheim6
haha whatever you say, but im not so sure you understand as much about circuits as you seem to think

I'm absolutely positive you don't understand as much about circuits as you seem to think you do.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by bheim6

Quote by bheim6

Ladies and gentleman. This is a true pioneer of circuits. The finest electrical engineering has to offer. His explanations, clear. His arguments, concise.

This guy knows his stuff.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Ladies and gentleman. This is a true pioneer of circuits. The finest electrical engineering has to offer. His explanations, clear. His arguments, concise.

This guy knows his stuff.

I think you're right. Putting the preamp at the end of the chain is genius! Why hasn't Soldano picked up on that one yet?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

Hey man, if we're going to exclude pieces of gear simply because they contain solid state components we have to do it across the board, right?

Just sounded a little funny to say 'don't trade that solid state clipping device for that amp; it has solid state clipping!'

to be honest, i'm not totally fussed with solid state clipping in the preamp. it's the solid state power amp that's the dealbreaker.

Quote by bheim6

shit, busted. i don't actually even play guitar.

Quote by tubetime86

+1 this was my point, but my high ramblings were apparently too much for y'all, tube time what gives?, i said a vlave is at the end of the preamp, it drives the signal last (IN THE PREAMP) giving it a warm tube tone, thats literally what a hybrid amp is, idk how you misinterpret that as saying the preamp is the last thing in the chain.. its the PRE-amp, who the hell makes an argument about amp circuits and honestly thinks thats what i said, read before you hate. and curt, when youve built multiple pedals, and are actually an engineer, as i have, and i am, then come talk to me. does anybody actually care about helping this dude figure out if he should make this trade?? or yall just wanna bicker like children all day
Quote by bheim6
+1 this was my point, but my high ramblings were apparently too much for y'all, tube time what gives?, i said a vlave is at the end of the preamp, it drives the signal last (IN THE PREAMP) giving it a warm tube tone, thats literally what a hybrid amp is, idk how you misinterpret that as saying the preamp is the last thing in the chain.. its the PRE-amp, who the hell makes an argument about amp circuits and honestly thinks thats what i said, read before you hate. and curt, when youve built multiple pedals, and are actually an engineer, as i have, and i am, then come talk to me. does anybody actually care about helping this dude figure out if he should make this trade?? or yall just wanna bicker like children all day

You give bad advice . To me, that's all that matters on here. Hybrid amplification is usually pretty mediocre, whereas the OCD is a great little pedal to put in front of a decent amp. To me it all depends on what amp the TS actually has.

EDIT: Checked the profile, he has a Peavey Bandit 112. So I'm going to say yes on the swap. purely because the MT is an improvement on that.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You give bad advice . To me, that's all that matters on here. Hybrid amplification is usually pretty mediocre, whereas the OCD is a great little pedal to put in front of a decent amp. To me it all depends on what amp the TS actually has.

EDIT: Checked the profile, he has a Peavey Bandit 112. So I'm going to say yes on the swap. purely because the MT is an improvement on that.

even though we both gave the exact same advice? ok
please indulge me, what reason(s) were so incorrect, theyre both solid state devices that provide dirt at the basic components, hes got a solid state amp (which was the first thing i checked before even posting in the first place), doesnt do the ocd justice unless you have an all tube amp, which you obv already know, so i said go with the micro since its got a tube in the preamp and will sound more like a tube amp aka better to most ears, you ****ers just like to argue for no reason
You used a valvetronix amp as your jump off point to defend hybrids. Valvetronix amps (at least the newer ones) sound pretty plastic and don't accept pedals very well to my ears. There is a reason I don't have one anymore. The tube in the preamp section does very little to make up for when you start cranking up a cheap solid state power section. I'm not knocking solid state amps, but some of them are honestly mediocre. The Bandits aren't the worst solid state amps in the world to me.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by bheim6
...doesnt do the ocd justice unless you have an all tube amp...

the OCD is a SS drive pedal, doesn't really do anything to 'push' a valve amp into breakup (preamp or power amp section), at least, not as well as its primary function of providing SS drive. You're thinking of a boost.

Quote by bheim6
it drives the signal last (IN THE PREAMP) giving it a warm tube tone...

A preamp valve LAST in the chain of the preamp still goes through the massively Solid state power section, which I would argue robs it of the warmth.

Quote by bheim6
...assuming its similar to the valvetronix series from vox where the valve is the las part of the chain, meaning the signal will get tube warmth and breakup.

Forgetting that what you said you were assuming earlier you're now stating as fact, 'breakup' comes primarily from a valve power section as you turn the amp up, not from one valve in the preamp section of the amplifier.

Quote by bheim6
youre essentially trading drive circuits and in this case both do the exact same thing to your signal

Don't know why this is here considering your whole argument is based around the fact that the OCD is not as good as the MT.

So that's how I think you're wrong. Yeah, TS will make the right decision and trade based on your advice, but when he wants to upgrade or expand his gear, he'll read your post again, buy a clean boost and spend the rest of his time trying to 'push' his single valve hybrid to get sweet valve breakup.
Quote by Liquid Rage
Friend offered his micro terror for my ocd. Both are brand new. Would you pull the trigger?

What other gear do you have? Do you need another amp?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Thank you so much for your input guys! I have just pulled the trigger and couldn't be any happier. I've build my own 2x12 cab and can't wait to test it out tomorrow. I never had small amps where I could bring along.
YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉOᶰᶜᵉ
Quote by bheim6

Are you actually an electrical engineer? One with a 4 year degree from an accredited university? Perhaps one that works with electronics as a career and area of expertise?

Because if I can be brutally honest with you, you don't come off that way.

I think taking a good, hard look at the valvetronix circuit, we might conclude that the tube does very little to make the amp sound like a tube amp. Adding a tube at the end of the chain, even if it is providing a significant amount of gain or distortion, doesn't change the fact that it's 1 stage being driven by a solid state pre amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Oops, I missed the YOLO signature line. Given that piece of information I'd say you should stab the guy and take both.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Liquid Rage
Thank you so much for your input guys! I have just pulled the trigger and couldn't be any happier. I've build my own 2x12 cab and can't wait to test it out tomorrow. I never had small amps where I could bring along.

Excellent! Amps are always more exciting than pedals anyway. Good luck to you.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Are you actually an electrical engineer? One with a 4 year degree from an accredited university? Perhaps one that works with electronics as a career and area of expertise?

Because if I can be brutally honest with you, you don't come off that way.

I think taking a good, hard look at the valvetronix circuit, we might conclude that the tube does very little to make the amp sound like a tube amp. Adding a tube at the end of the chain, even if it is providing a significant amount of gain or distortion, doesn't change the fact that it's 1 stage being driven by a solid state pre amp.

+1

Not one thing you've said sounds like it would have come from a EE. If anything, it sounds like it's coming from a marketing major. One preamp tube does not a tube sound make. Nor is a tube at the end of the preamp chain the "definition of a hybrid."
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs