Page 1 of 2

The company, Mars One, plans to send four astronauts on a trip to the Red Planet to set up a human colony in 2023. But there are a couple of serious snags.

Firstly, when on Mars their bodies will have to adapt to surface gravity that is 38% of that on Earth. It is thought that this would cause such a total physiological change in their bone density, muscle strength and circulation that voyagers would no longer be able to survive in Earth's conditions. Secondly, and directly related to the first, they will have to say goodbye to all their family and friends, as the deal doesn't include a return ticket.

The Mars One website states that a return "cannot be anticipated nor expected". To return, they would need a fully assembled and fuelled rocket capable of escaping the gravitational field of Mars, on-board life support systems capable of up to a seven-month voyage and the capacity either to dock with a space station orbiting Earth or perform a safe re-entry and landing.

Would you want to go? Sounds ****ing awful to me, but I don't really like long-haul flights, so.
Why fly all the way to Mars to die alone in a desert with putrid gases and crazy weather?

If I wanted to do that I'd sign up for the army.

Real talk, though, I could definitely see myself doing this, at an older age.
What a way to top yourself
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Wasn't this already a thing they had planned like a year ago? And I'm pretty sure there was a thread about it on here too.

Edit: But I would totes go. No reason not to.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I'd do it, yeah. As dangerous as it is, I'd rather experience something like that than live the same bland life everyone else does.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Mars One is a scam.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It is thought that this would cause such a total physiological change in their bone density, muscle strength

lose my gains?

no thx
That'd be one hell of a legacy, count me in.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by weorge
The ultimate self imposed exile, I won't be signing up.

You make that sound like a bad thing.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
It'd be like living "Into The Void".

"Leave the Earth to Satan and his slaves. Leave them to their future in the grave."
I wanna go
To The World I Am A Stranger, To A Stranger I Am A Possible Serial Killer

Quote by Wolfinator-x
You guys are so funny xD xoxo <3

Quote by Doveri
Well a human can't sing an Em since that's a chord

If you mean Eb3/E3, then that is a contralto voice.
Quote by BelowTheSun
One way trip to Mars?

Yep, except i wanna go when im older... so i have nothing to lose.
To The World I Am A Stranger, To A Stranger I Am A Possible Serial Killer

Quote by Wolfinator-x
You guys are so funny xD xoxo <3

Quote by Doveri
Well a human can't sing an Em since that's a chord

If you mean Eb3/E3, then that is a contralto voice.
I can barely survive on a 2 hour flight, let alone 7 months.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Fuck that shit. I'm not the biggest fan of Earth sometimes but no way I'm spending the rest of my life cramped up in tiny little tube ships and building and stuff. Besides I'm too tall to be an astronaut anyway.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by macaroni
I can barely survive on a 2 hour flight, let alone 7 months.

5 bucks says the first mission suffers 100% casualties from everybody on board going insane and killing each other.
Quote by CoreysMonster
5 bucks says the first mission suffers 100% casualties from everybody on board going insane and killing each other.

Yeah, because they won't possibly have considered that and factored it into the required psychological profiles of those accepted...

I'd go if I didn't have a wife and kids.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
As long as they rename Mars after me.

It would be called... Planet of the Joshua Garcias!

Mmm... I like the sound of that.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 22, 2013,
I definitely would, granted I have visited all the people / places on Earth I want to beforehand.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Not even taking into account the fact that they don't have to obey any laws because there's nobody around to punish them for it. They'd probably kill each other without even going insane first.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Inb4 all the depressed and mentally unstable people sign up in hordes. Oh wait
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by the bartender
Not even taking into account the fact that they don't have to obey any laws because there's nobody around to punish them for it. They'd probably kill each other without even going insane first.

I really hope this is a troll post...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I really hope this is a troll post...

Why is it a troll post? It's pessimistic, but a very possible scenario.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Why is it a troll post? It's pessimistic, but a very possible scenario.

Because it presumes that the only reason people don't kill wantonly is due to laws and law enforcement, which is utter nonsense.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Because it presumes that the only reason people don't kill wantonly is due to laws and law enforcement, which is utter nonsense.

Could you think of another reason why they wouldn't eventually kill each other up there?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Could you think of another reason why they wouldn't eventually kill each other up there?

I can think of several.

Mutual survival needs, companionship, personal beliefs, psychological stability....hell, maybe they just like each other and choose not to?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I can think of several.

Mutual survival needs, companionship, personal beliefs, psychological stability....hell, maybe they just like each other and choose not to?

You only need one spark to start a fire.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by Arby911
I can think of several.

Anything but mutual survival needs is liable to deteriorate and fade away. And even then, say your engineer gets sick and dies. Then there's really no point to the "mutual survival needs" anymore since its impossible to maintain your survival without all of your members alive. So, then, there's literally nothing holding you back from killing each other.
Quote by Overlord
I think Kent is slightly better than Mars, so I'll stick with it.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Carnivean
Anything but mutual survival needs is liable to deteriorate and fade away. And even then, say your engineer gets sick and dies. Then there's really no point to the "mutual survival needs" anymore since its impossible to maintain your survival without all of your members alive. So, then, there's literally nothing holding you back from killing each other.

If the only thing that stops you from killing people is an external physical motivation, you need help.

You can 'what if' any scenario you want, but at the end of it all will be the fact that not all of us require rules and watchers in order to exercise restraint.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
If the only thing that stops you from killing people is an external physical motivation, you need help.

You can 'what if' any scenario you want, but at the end of it all will be the fact that not all of us require rules and watchers in order to exercise restraint.

I just hope the people that go up there will not need any enforcement mechanism. But hope is the key word, because you can go up there the most optimistic an tolerable human being in the world, but nothing prepares you for lifelong solitude with 3 other peopl in a barren wasteland and no option of returning. I don't think a group of human beings has ever faced that scenario before.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
I just hope the people that go up there will not need any enforcement mechanism. But hope is the key word, because you can go up there the most optimistic an tolerable human being in the world, but nothing prepares you for lifelong solitude with 3 other peopl in a barren wasteland and no option of returning. I don't think a group of human beings has ever faced that scenario before.

There are no guarantees, of course, but we've come a good bit afield of the point the original post I responded to claimed, no?
Charles Darwin
Meh, I guess.

I can just imagine the video feed we'd get one day:

"Hi again earth! This is George, and Linda is over there in that cave checking out a noise we heard and-- wait-- wait a second, there's movement in the cave. Something large.." "Linda??" "Linda?!" "Linda respond if you can hear me!" "Linda!!"

"Wait a second, I hear something beh--"

Static
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Meh, I guess.

I can just imagine the video feed we'd get one day:

"Hi again earth! This is George, and Linda is over there in that cave checking out a noise we heard and-- wait-- wait a second, there's movement in the cave. Something large.." "Linda??" "Linda?!" "Linda respond if you can hear me!" "Linda!!"

"Wait a second, I hear something beh--"

Static

It would be great if they did something like that, then a couple of days came on with a 'Aw, we were just messing with you!!" video showing all of them alive and in good health!!

I'd think you would have to take your amusement where you could get it...
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2