I'd love to know how to get closer to joe bonamassa's tone. I've got an orange jim root terror and a gibson les paul traditional. I know I won't get his tone exactly due to his 4 amp set up. My favourite tone of his is all throughout Dust Bowl, so any help would be great.
]
:Cough: Carol-Ann :Cough:

In all seriousness, a different voiced amp would help quite a lot. His tone has quite a lot of things going on, and to get seriously close you'd need a lot of his very own gear.

That's not to say that you couldn't get close with a bluesier amp and a pup swap
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125

In all seriousness, a different voiced amp would help quite a lot. His tone has quite a lot of things going on, and to get seriously close you'd need a lot of his very own gear.

That's not to say that you couldn't get close with a bluesier amp and a pup swap

Just before I make a new amp thread what amp did you have in mind when you said that?
]
Make the new amp thread, i'm not well versed with clean/low gain blues type amps.

I was only making the suggestion that an amp with a more appropriate voicing for his tone would get you a lot closer to his actual tone.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Joe uses 4 amps so it'll be hard to get his sound exactly right. Having a Marshall will definitely help though. IIRC most of his creamy mid-rangey lead tones are coming from his Silver Jubilee Marshall. I myself have a Marshall Vintage Modern, with a boost I can get fairly close to his sound. Joe has used a Vintage Modern at some of his shows before.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Joe uses 4 amps so it'll be hard to get his sound exactly right. Having a Marshall will definitely help though. IIRC most of his creamy mid-rangey lead tones are coming from his Silver Jubilee Marshall. I myself have a Marshall Vintage Modern, with a boost I can get fairly close to his sound. Joe has used a Vintage Modern at some of his shows before.

Are there any low watt (30 and under) alternatives that would get me close?
]
Quote by Guitar-KID125

He doesnt use the Carol-Ann all that majorly. His main amp is a Marshall Silver Jubilee. When he uses the Carol-Ann he uses it at the same time as the Marshall.

Bonamassa's tone is a lot like 60's Clapton, Paul Kossof etc. You want a british tone.

When Joe plays out of America he doesnt take his Silver Jubilee because its valuable. He uses a DSL.

The new DSL 15 is a great price. I'd consider that.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by jkielq91
He doesnt use the Carol-Ann all that majorly. His main amp is a Marshall Silver Jubilee. When he uses the Carol-Ann he uses it at the same time as the Marshall.

Bonamassa's tone is a lot like 60's Clapton, Paul Kossof etc. You want a british tone.

When Joe plays out of America he doesnt take his Silver Jubilee because its valuable. He uses a DSL.

The new DSL 15 is a great price. I'd consider that.

I'll create a new amp thread
]
Quote by falcon1439
Are there any low watt (30 and under) alternatives that would get me close?

Why under 30 watts?

Anyway, I just saw Bonamassa and he was using 2 Silver Jubilees a Friedman BE and a Suhr. He uses the Jubilee as the base of his tone and mixes with the other amps to change the tone. The other amps are different every time I've seen him. Sometimes he's got a Carol Ann, a Two Rock, Category 5, Van Weelden Certatone etc...

Anyway... without spending thousands and thousands on multiple amps... give the Mesa Lonestar a shot as it can definitely get into the ballpark of Bonamassas tone. Don't forget a heaping ton of reverb either.

This guy does a pretty good version of Bridge to Better Days with a Lonestar (Skip to 1:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66Rbj1UwcM
Quote by icronic
Why under 30 watts?

Anyway, I just saw Bonamassa and he was using 2 Silver Jubilees a Friedman BE and a Suhr. He uses the Jubilee as the base of his tone and mixes with the other amps to change the tone. The other amps are different every time I've seen him. Sometimes he's got a Carol Ann, a Two Rock, Category 5, Van Weelden Certatone etc...

Anyway... without spending thousands and thousands on multiple amps... give the Mesa Lonestar a shot as it can definitely get into the ballpark of Bonamassas tone. Don't forget a heaping ton of reverb either.

This guy does a pretty good version of Bridge to Better Days with a Lonestar (Skip to 1:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66Rbj1UwcM

Under 30 watts so I can crank it at the type of venues I play at. Also, the mesa boogie is too expensive, even used.

Edit: Nice tone though
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Apr 22, 2013,
Just turn the gain on your terror down and crank it to ten and use your volume control on your guitar.

The 57 Classics are great pickups and your orange will do cranked Marshall easily.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by icronic

Hmm. I saw him in Seattle on the 12th and he had 2 Plexis and a smaller white Marshall running as his main heads and a Suhr Badger and a Friedman as what looked like backups. I couldn't be sure it was a Friedman Brown Eye because it looked like it was laid out the same but the plates were silver instead of gold.

Such a lucky bastard... I can't imagine having so much gear...

A high-gain Marshall will get you in the ballpark. As bluesy as he goes, his low-gain tone is all in the volume knob of the guitar not the amp, and that comes from his orgasmicly-rich saturated lead tone. A DSL would be a fine choice.

But what you really need is his skill.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
Hmm. I saw him in Seattle on the 12th and he had 2 Plexis and a smaller white Marshall running as his main heads and a Suhr Badger and a Friedman as what looked like backups. I couldn't be sure it was a Friedman Brown Eye because it looked like it was laid out the same but the plates were silver instead of gold.

Such a lucky bastard... I can't imagine having so much gear...

A high-gain Marshall will get you in the ballpark. As bluesy as he goes, his low-gain tone is all in the volume knob of the guitar not the amp, and that comes from his orgasmicly-rich saturated lead tone. A DSL would be a fine choice.

But what you really need is his skill.

Yeah, actually you're right... It was probably a Dirty Shirley and not the Brown Eye.

Quote by icronic
Yeah, actually you're right... It was probably a Dirty Shirley and not the Brown Eye.

Well, I'm off to change my pants...
So basically a Marshall? Would a plexi work or should I aim for a more modern sounding, higher gain head?
]
JTM45 would probably do it well, although it would need to be quite loud. my JTM45 doesn't get cookin until its too loud for most uses around the house. but i suppose you could get a MV wired in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
JTM45 would probably do it well, although it would need to be quite loud. my JTM45 doesn't get cookin until its too loud for most uses around the house. but i suppose you could get a MV wired in there.

So a plexi would be ideal then? Also, what's a mv?
]
Quote by falcon1439
So a plexi would be ideal then? Also, what's a mv?

MV = Master volume, I'd assume.
You don't need a new amp? You could easily get a decent approximation with your current gear?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
You don't need a new amp? You could easily get a decent approximation with your current gear?

How?
]
It's cranked Marshall right?

Turn your gain slightly low and then turn it up loud?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Does anyone else thing Joe B has a weird shaped head? This thread can be about that now.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Tom 1.0
It's cranked Marshall right?

Turn your gain slightly low and then turn it up loud?

No, it's an orange Jim root terror
]
....which is a rockerverb preamp with a boosted JCM type amp....which is an angry Marshall...

That modern blues sound is mainly to my ears, fairly high gain cranked Marshall amps...

Seriously, loads of mids, a touch of bass then a bit of gain and turn it up really loud.

That should get a decent modern blues tone.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
....which is a rockerverb preamp with a boosted JCM type amp....which is an angry Marshall...

That modern blues sound is mainly to my ears, fairly high gain cranked Marshall amps...

Seriously, loads of mids, a touch of bass then a bit of gain and turn it up really loud.

That should get a decent modern blues tone.

Great! Thanks for that, I'll get my amp out tomorrow because it's too late to get cranking it (neighbours).

By the way, is Joe using fuzz on the higher gain part of the last matador of bayonne solo? Thanks again
]
Probably, he uses a pretty wide array of effects.

As you're probably aware, unless you spend huge amounts of money and some how squire his hands, you will never get the exact same tone, but playing with your amp settings, your volume and tone controls on your guitar you can get a fairly close approximation.

Your JR Terror is a great little amp and having a proper EQ on it certainly gives you more scope for getting some great tones out of it. Blues rock is an easy one to get.

Loudness + Volume.

http://youtu.be/Hx7HUNrzyFk

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
can I ask a honest serious questoin? I hear people talk about him allllll the time. my dad loves him. he showed me one of his cds and I couldn't really pay attention I was so bored. am I missing something? is there a song I should check out?
Quote by LaidBack
Does anyone else thing Joe B has a weird shaped head? This thread can be about that now.

only with long hair. some people just don't look good with long hair. he should be the poster child for that
Quote by icronic

Old. I don't even see any of his 50s Les Pauls in that pic.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by icronic

From the pictures I'm seeing online of the Dirty Shirley, it definitely wasn't that.

It looked like what's behind the 3 acoustics on the road case in the back left, under what appears to be a Music Man amp.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
That's a Park. Made by Marshall in the late 60s/early 70s. Basically a Plexi.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Man, I wish I brought a camera. I don't remember the line going through the middle or the nameplate being that small; I thought I made out "Friedman" from my seat.

I really want the blue Kustom K100 on the right. That's one pimp of an amp.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
I found this via a quick search. Looks like a custom build. Dirty Shirley has an offset control panel, though the prototype was centered. The Dirty Shirley's headshell is also much smaller.

EDIT: Should've scrolled down. Joe says it's a Dirty Shirley 100.

http://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?pid=261035#p261035

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Apr 24, 2013,
I think it must be that, using this recent Premier Guitar interview as reference http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Apr/Interview_Joe_Bonamassa_Restless_Pick_Syndrome.aspx?Page=3

The one I saw had black tolex, but I guess that must be the newest prototype.

EDIT: He didn't even use it, but I still care
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Tom 1.0
Probably, he uses a pretty wide array of effects.

As you're probably aware, unless you spend huge amounts of money and some how squire his hands, you will never get the exact same tone, but playing with your amp settings, your volume and tone controls on your guitar you can get a fairly close approximation.

Your JR Terror is a great little amp and having a proper EQ on it certainly gives you more scope for getting some great tones out of it. Blues rock is an easy one to get.

Loudness + Volume.

http://youtu.be/Hx7HUNrzyFk

What EQ settings do you suggest?
]
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
can I ask a honest serious questoin? I hear people talk about him allllll the time. my dad loves him. he showed me one of his cds and I couldn't really pay attention I was so bored. am I missing something? is there a song I should check out?

I'm with you on that. I just don't get it.
JB is like the elevator music of blues. I dont get the hype.

Quote by falcon1439
What EQ settings do you suggest?

No.

Some things need to be done by yourself.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I think his his electric lead and acoustic rhythm is quite interesting & different, and his vocal tone is perfect for what he's playing. It's understandable how someone wouldn't like his style, though; he's not for everybody, and to each their own.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter