hi all, i already have a MIM Fender Jazz, but i was wondering if it is worth saving up for a Rickenbacker 4003? i play mostly rock/punk/blues/prog music and occasionally bass slap/pop. I'm quite happy with my tone at the moment, but find there can be a bit too much treble at times (fyi: i play through a orange tiny terror and orange 600watt bass cab). i also prefer the look of the Rickenbacker and have found, through research and playing one, the tone to be more versatile than a jazz bass.
so i ask you the vigilante members of the UG forums, is a Rickenbacker 4003 worth the price?

No.

Vicious company making sub-par instruments.

No fancy pickups, EQ, tonewood. Nothing special at all. Nothing to warrant a two grand price tag.

You could get four basses of the same standard for the price of a Rickenbacker. If you really like the look then buy a copy off eBay, if you think they're versatile (moreso than a jazz) then , sorry, you're just wrong.

Be happier and richer, don't buy a Rick!
If you think a jazz bass has too much treble, you probably don't want a Rickenbacker!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
No, jazz basses are in every way superior to ricks apart from shape. Also the bridge on ricks is horrible. Stick with your jazz.
Quote by Spaz91
No.

Vicious company making sub-par instruments.

No fancy pickups, EQ, tonewood. Nothing special at all. Nothing to warrant a two grand price tag.

You could get four basses of the same standard for the price of a Rickenbacker. If you really like the look then buy a copy off eBay, if you think they're versatile (moreso than a jazz) then , sorry, you're just wrong.

Be happier and richer, don't buy a Rick!

While this is kinda true, that Davey guy is an asshat in like 95% of his videos and not a very credible example.
Why would you want a Ric when you say that a J bass has too much treble?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Nutter_101
If you think a jazz bass has too much treble, you probably don't want a Rickenbacker!

This, they're rather thin sounding. And they do cost a lot. A lot.
REGGIE
Quote by Soccerguy
While this is kinda true, that Davey guy is an asshat in like 95% of his videos and not a very credible example.

I trust people whose work revolves around the reliability of guitars. He's a cool guy, gives good advise and dispells a lot of gear myths.
Go play one in a store. Its very much a love hate deal with Ricks, you may love it.

I wouldn't let anyone here deter you from it before you've actually laid hands on one, especially if you like the sound of them.
Yes, but only if you are absolutely sure it's what you want. It is a bit of a love-hate bass, some people are overly vocal about hating them (and the business itself.... YAWN) and others like them. We've already had this argument recently. Play one and decide for yourself.

I personally am still gas'ing for a 4003, but then again it has the tone I want and I have played one on many occasions, so it is an informed decision.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
thanks for the feedback. ive played two rics before.......i think one of them broke.......
the treble complaint was more a nit pick than anything.....ill probably stick with the J-bass for the time being and get a metric sh*t tonne of pedals instead.
I find it hard to believe that a Rickenbacker can be more versatile than a Jazz bass. As for more treble, a Rickenbacker in my experience sounds like a thin/lazy jazz bass.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
As a rickenbacker owner,I can tell you it sounds like it might not be your cup of tea.For slapping and popping,I would recommend any bass other than a ric.The rickenbacker definitely has more mids and highs than a j-bass,but the j will be superior in the low end.
If you like the growl of your j bass but want a slightly different flavour of growl,you might like a ric,but the j is definitely more versatile.
Definitely try one,and appreciate the quality of the instrument,but try other basses within your price range.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I can't speak from bass but I know their guitars. Their really well made instruments and sound good. On the other hand their 2 grand. And you can get something a lot cheaper than that with the same quality