I currently have a Peavey Vypyr 100 amp (2x12 100watt SS modelling). I love the versatility of this amp and chose it over the SS Spider IV series when I bought it last year.

I am now thinking about getting the Spider IV 150 (also 2x12), but started thinking about the Spider Valve and even maybe trading out my Vypyr 100 for Vypyr 120 (tube Version). So I'm curious if it's worth getting the tube versions for what I need.

I don't gig, this is just a hobby for me. But I like the variety of the modelling amps, and I love it loud when I get the chance to crank it up (who doesn't!)

Is there a huge difference in the sound of the SS vs the Tube versions of these amps, respectively?
-I would assume they would sound almost exactly the same except at higher volumes ??
Do the tube versions still sound the same at low volume? or will there be some loss of any kind at lower volumes?

or, since they are modelling amps anyway ... are the benefit of the sound being processed through the tubes simply not worth the extra maintenance costs and care?
Last edited by RedJamaX at Apr 23, 2013,
Honestly? To me, anything the Bogner preamp and poweramp are doing for the Spider Valve Mk. 2 are nullified by the sterility of the Spider electronics. The Peavey Vypyr Tube, however, uses all analog preamp modelling to complement the tube sound, not overpower it. It's the difference of using a Chinese Boss DS-1 through a tube amp and using a Fulltone OCD through a tube amp. One is overriding the sound of the amp with it's own (DS-1) while the other is complementing the sound.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Opinions vary, but for the money the Vypyr tube offerings are vastly superior to anything else you've mentioned. I actually like the Spider Valve, but it's hugely overpriced by comparison.

And yes, there is a significant sonic difference between the SS versions and the tube versions, but only you can decide if it's 'better' or not.

IMO, Peavey wins this particular battle on either front, SS or Tube.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
To me the spider valve was more complicated.

The Vypyr is what you see is what you get.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT

The Vypyr is what you see is what you get.

WYSIWYG !!

This was one of the major reasons I chose the Vypyr over the Spider to begin with. The other major reason was the specific tones created by the Vypyr... but I have always liked the Spider series as well... just not as much.
I can't talk for the Vyper, but the Bogner valve spider amps sound pretty good to me, but they are a pain in the arse to use... I'm not sure if the valves have a noticeable effect, but it has a nice range of tones and presets, but the constant volume fluctuations and changing a preset and having the knobs say something other that what's actually happening is confusing to me, if that makes any sense at all... In general, I like the sound but can't stand how complicated it is.
If you own the Vypyr and don't have the Sanpera II pedal, I suggest getting one. It makes it really fun to play and the looper and wahs are awesome too. I played with the Spider in a guitar center and wasn't too impressed by it.
Quote by wursty
If you own the Vypyr and don't have the Sanpera II pedal, I suggest getting one. It makes it really fun to play and the looper and wahs are awesome too. I played with the Spider in a guitar center and wasn't too impressed by it.

Vypyr tube needs the Sanpera II, Spider Valve needs the FBV Shortboard MkII to get the most out of either one.

Sanpera I and FBV Express are a waste of money.
Charles Darwin
Vypyr is more plug-and-play out of the box but isn't quite as touring-friendly. The Spider Valve is not intended to be used without either a full-size FBV footswitch or an FBV Shortboard and the idea is more that you'll sit down and spend a couple of days going through everything, dialing in every tone you need, then can instantly recall any tone from any position in an instant from the FBV. You can also save the tones outside of the amp and port them into another amp, so you don't have to ship your own head everywhere so long as you can get to another one wherever you are. The Spider Valve also has more useful ins and outs as far as the front of house will be concerned.

Basically, are you trying to tour internationally? If yes, Spider Valve. If no, Vypyr. The Spider Valve costs more and is worse straight out of the box because it's not designed to just be picked up and taken to the local bar gig. The Vypyr is.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Vypyr is more plug-and-play out of the box but isn't quite as touring-friendly. The Spider Valve is not intended to be used without either a full-size FBV footswitch or an FBV Shortboard and the idea is more that you'll sit down and spend a couple of days going through everything, dialing in every tone you need, then can instantly recall any tone from any position in an instant from the FBV. You can also save the tones outside of the amp and port them into another amp, so you don't have to ship your own head everywhere so long as you can get to another one wherever you are. The Spider Valve also has more useful ins and outs as far as the front of house will be concerned.

Basically, are you trying to tour internationally? If yes, Spider Valve. If no, Vypyr. The Spider Valve costs more and is worse straight out of the box because it's not designed to just be picked up and taken to the local bar gig. The Vypyr is.

The FBV longboard won't work with the SV...only the Shortboard, Express or FBV2.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Opinions vary, but for the money the Vypyr tube offerings are vastly superior to anything else you've mentioned. I actually like the Spider Valve, but it's hugely overpriced by comparison.

And yes, there is a significant sonic difference between the SS versions and the tube versions, but only you can decide if it's 'better' or not.

IMO, Peavey wins this particular battle on either front, SS or Tube.

Perhaps a better question to get a more generalized response would be...

Do the Tube version have a more organic Tube-like tone to them? AND, do I lose some of the complexity and depth at lower volumes since Tubes really shine at higher volumes? Or, since it's all modeling anyway, would low volumes still sounds great and higher volumes sound amazing (respective to SS versions) with the help of the tubes.
Last edited by RedJamaX at Apr 24, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
To me the spider valve was more complicated.

Agreed,

Just like some others have posted about the Spider Series... not being able to tell where all the settings are dialed in is a real pain... You HAVE to touch every friggin' knob to be sure of where you settings are... and have to do it every time you change to a different amp channel... and if I remember correctly, it doesn't even have a master volume control to override the channel control...

Still has some nice unique sounds though. so I still want one...

OR

I could swap out my Vypyr, get the Tube version and buy the Line 6 Floor POD Plus... It seems to have all the amp models and effect as the Spider Valve, although the dirvers are still different so it will not have the same sound, but I've seen multiple implications that the Peavey implements the Tubes much better than Line 6 anyway...

What about that option?
Last edited by RedJamaX at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by MrFlibble

But who would ever be touring internationally and be choosing between a Vypyr and a Spider?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Arby911
The FBV longboard won't work with the SV...only the Shortboard, Express or FBV2.
Some of the full board's features don't correlate to the Spider Valve's options, but the unit does work, at least as of the mkII. The only reason it doesn't get listed any more is becomes Line 6 stopped producing the full FBV unit; no point when the Shortboard is so much more popular and cheaper to make.

Quote by tas38
But who would ever be touring internationally and be choosing between a Vypyr and a Spider?
My go-to example, which I think most regulars on these forums are truly sick of me mentioning, are Lacuna Coil. A few million albums, top 10 albums in multiple countries, they only stop touring to record new material and they tour (and record) with Spider Valve mkII heads.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
They both have pros and cons, which have been discussed here already. Just throwing my view out there, the SV looks better on paper, but at the end of the day, analog dirt >>> digital dirt. IMO
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 24, 2013,
... They both use a 50/50 mix of both. So. Er.