So, less than a month ago, I did a NAD for my Roland JC-55 Jazz Chorus. Well... It's gone. I traded it for a this head:

This is a Pepco Model 211 with matching cab. 5w head made in Montreal, Canada. Tube preamp, poweramp, rectifier and tremolo. Spring reverb, and it has a (EDITchoke. The head is in pristine condition. The cab, however... is rough. And the speakers are very cheap. BUT, the cab was thrown in because he managed to find it, so I'm not complaining. The cab LOOKS like a 2x12, but it's only a 2x8 . I absolutely love the sound of it. It's incredibly responsive. If you come across one of these heads (and they're quite rare), BUY IT. They're not worth a ton of money because they're at that weird spot where they're so rare that there is little demand for them.

Controls:
Reverb (off-10)
Tremolo Speed (off-10)
Tone
Volume (off-10)

Tubes: 12ax7, 12au7, 6AV6 (x2), 6L6

Clips:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151411777827677&comment_id=26182006&offset=0&total_comments=5&notif_t=video_comment

I'm hoping to do a video of it through my friend's Sunn 4x10 cab soon as well.

Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Apr 22, 2013,
Tune your shit!

Cool old amp, get a real cab for it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Those tuners are 50 years old, I tried the best I could .
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by schecter ftw
I'm getting diabetes just looking at all the soda in your video.

Sounds nice tho.

Took the video in the back room at work before we opened. I work at a very laid back Mom and Pop game store.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Man, do NOT drop acid and look at that thing! You will freak out and never return!

Does it sound as wild as it looks?

HNAD! Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Man, do NOT drop acid and look at that thing! You will freak out and never return!

Does it sound as wild as it looks?

HNAD! Enjoy it!

It does, at apartment levels at that. I can turn it up to 10 and it doesn't hurt. I wish I could find some of that grillcloth to redo the cab. I really dig the 50s style grillcloth.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
that is awesome,
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Soda Master!

HNAD
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
W T F is that shi....................... I mean, NICE AMP DAY BRO!!!

Haha, kidding... it's not my thing, but it's got some retro vibe going on and you're probably the only one on your block with one!

...of course, there's a reason for that.

AGAIN I KID I KID!!!
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

I bet Min, the hipster, will totally dig that amp.

I did get it from a hipster.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Tuners are cheap. May i recommend Grover lockers? They are amazing value for money. I paid $50 for the set I put on my tele. They're great.

HNAD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Tuners are cheap. May i recommend Grover lockers? They are amazing value for money. I paid $50 for the set I put on my tele. They're great.

HNAD.

Yeah. It's not my guitar, and he's keeping it all original. I've locking tuners on my strats though.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Keeping things that don't work original is for museums.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Keeping things that don't work original is for museums.

Very true. By the way, do you have any suggestions for getting the impedance of the head? Or is the best option just to find the impedance of the cab?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
You'd have to find the part number on the transformer and look it up - or email Traynor and ask them. It is possible to reverse engineer it by calculating the turns ratio and then translating that into load lines for the output circuit but that requires a lot of knowledge and math.
Looking at the impedance of the cab assumes that it has the original speaker and that it is the cab originally intended for the amp.
I'd email Traynor and ask them - and request a schematic while you're at it.

Edit. Ooops. It isn't a Traynor is it? I saw made in Canada and my brain immediately inserted Traynor. Does the company that made it still exist?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 22, 2013,
Sadly, no. And there is very little info about them on the internet. They were only around in the 60s and 70s.

EDIT: If it helps, Pepco also made amps under the names: Paul, Riviera, Arc, Lark, Supreme, Marlin, Cobra, Regal...
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Apr 22, 2013,
I'm thinking the cab was made for that head and the speakers are original

If you have a multimeter you can check the the cable jack and get a rough idea. Turn the amp off and unplug the speaker cable on the head side and read it with a mulitmeter.

Quote by theacousticpunk

Looks like a Stick Figure Orgy

HNAD Bryan

I admire you for doing a clip for your NAD. Most people don't do that.
The cab looks original but what about the speaker itself? At that age it may have been replaced numerous times.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
right....that's why reading it with a mm is the best idea. It won't be exact but it will get you in the ballpark Bryan (ie If it says 5, then you know you are pulling a 4 ohm load. If it reads 14, then chances are you are pulling a 16 ohm load) -for example.
The multimeter always reads lower. If it reads 5 then it's going to be 8, not 4.
It is still assuming that nobody has replaced the speaker at some point with the wrong thing. Not an assumption I'd be prepared to make.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, the problem is that I can't get inside it to look just yet. Those crafty Canadians used Robertson screws, and I don't own the correct driver. There is a large hole in the back of the cab (didn't mention it in the opening post), inside which I see two speakers, one marked on the back: DWEO or DWE0 and PE8-8C. The other speaker has 23-8C08 on the paper cone. From what I can tell, they match, but I won't know for sure until I can open it up.

EDIT: I did the method of plugging a speaker cable into the cab and measuring it with a multimeter. It was fluctuating between 4.7 and 5.1 ohms. That means the cab (currently) is rated at 8 ohms?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The multimeter always reads lower. If it reads 5 then it's going to be 8, not 4.
It is still assuming that nobody has replaced the speaker at some point with the wrong thing. Not an assumption I'd be prepared to make.

I didn't know that. Listen to Cath - he's smarter than I

And I'm not saying the speaker hasn't been replaced - I guess I just assumed he was more curious to make sure he had the head impedance set correctly.

Edit: It appears the speakers may be original and 8 ohms each.
Because you are dealing with reactance it all comes down to geometry due to the phase relationship (reactance is 90 degrees out of phase with resistance). Impedance is the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle with resistance on one side and reactance on the other. A multimeter measures resistance. The hypotenuse (ie impedance) is always bigger.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Interesting. Never knew that electrical engineering used geometry in that way.

My question to you is, how safe would it be to assume that the head is also 8ohms? How would I figure out the rating of the head otherwise?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Nice! I considered buying one of these a while ago, but decided I already have enough old Canadian amps. My bedroom amp is a 2W Regal "Model 300", and I have a ~12W Symphonic MA-50 head with a matching 1x15 cab that I like to crank in my garage. Both are pretty fuckin raw sounding lol. Amps like that pop up on my local classifieds often enough, but I've never seen one with that crazy grille cloth.
Kenneth
Yeah the grill cloth is especially cool. Really neat looking amp, beats a Diezel any day.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I just feel that the cab is disproportionately larger than it needs to be for that speaker. HNAD for that funkadelic little amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Had to, the coincidence was too much...

And given the date, it's probably too late, but your speakers are original - mine are identical. i was told they might be Utah, but i am not sure. i measured 8 ohms each; they're wired in parallel and show 4ohms at the jack. No hole in the back of my cab so i guess someone 'ported' yours.

Fun!
Attachments:
DSC00146b.JPG