Howdy

Seen as my joe bonamassa tone thread turned into a new amp thread I've decided to create a what amp thread.

1) Budget is around £900 for the head (I already have a cab). I'm not afraid to go used or whatever.

2) I live in the UK, in Derbyshire

3) I currenly have a jim root terror head, and whilst I bought it for metal, metal is not my kind of music anymore. I'm a blues rock player. My tastes go from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Joe Bonamassa. Sometimes I like to play a little heavier (alice in chains, velvet revolover but if I have to buy a distortion pedal or have to use a boost so be it). My current guitar is a gibson les paul traditional

4) I'm a gigging musician, but not a stadium rocker I play at home but I'm not too bothered about being loud. I just want to be able to get near cranking it at the kind of gigs I play. I don't want to end up like my mate, with his 60 watt marshall on 2, fizzing like a bitch.

Edit: I really want an fx loop
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Apr 22, 2013,
I'm a fanboy, but I really recommend Orange for a great blues tone. Fender are great if you've got the right setup all around, as are Mesa Boogie, though the latter can go for a lot.

I find that if you combine an Orange Dual Terror (or better) with a couple of good pedals you can get a great sound for anything from like twinkly stuff to blues to BWOOOOO.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100

My band mate has one, not a big fan

Quote by Banjocal
I'm a fanboy, but I really recommend Orange for a great blues tone. Fender are great if you've got the right setup all around, as are Mesa Boogie, though the latter can go for a lot.

I find that if you combine an Orange Dual Terror (or better) with a couple of good pedals you can get a great sound for anything from like twinkly stuff to blues to BWOOOOO.

Got any bonamassa style clips?
]
Can't say I have. Sorry.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Can't say I have. Sorry.

Well, I'll just test drive it at my local store. What pedals were you thinking of to go with the dual terror?
]
Quote by falcon1439
Well, I'll just test drive it at my local store. What pedals were you thinking of to go with the dual terror?
Well I play noisy sludgy metal so I'm not really one to recommend pedals for someone looking for a good tone! iDK... a tubescreamer? Depends on your preference. My setup is a feedback-maker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Well I play noisy sludgy metal so I'm not really one to recommend pedals for someone looking for a good tone! iDK... a tubescreamer? Depends on your preference. My setup is a feedback-maker.

Well, thanks for your help.

Anyone else got some suggestions?
]
You can get a Dual Terror used to about $ 700 canadian but I'm pretty sure they're significantly cheaper in the UK. I'd also like to say that I think the Fulltone OCD is miles ahead of the Tubescreamer.
just give me a fender and let me rip
I honestly wouldn't put a restriction on wattage as it's not nearly as important as you think. Some amps need to be cranked to sound good some amps don't. I've heard MANY 100 watt amps that sound fantastic at low volumes and even more low wattage amps that sound terrible until they're loud enough to blow the roof off the joint.

I've heard people get great Bonamassaish tones out of Mesa amps. The Electra Dyne, Lonestar, MK5, Express 5:50 (NOT the 25) etc.. I know Mesa's are expensive over there but I've heard people finding used Lonestar combos for around £1000 so a head should be slightly cheaper. The Express would most likely be a little cheaper than that.

I'm not sure how much they cost, but the Cornford MK50 also comes to mind... I found a clip of someone doing Bonamassa with one of those a few weeks back and it was fairly killer.
Quote by icronic
I honestly wouldn't put a restriction on wattage as it's not nearly as important as you think. Some amps need to be cranked to sound good some amps don't. I've heard MANY 100 watt amps that sound fantastic at low volumes and even more low wattage amps that sound terrible until they're loud enough to blow the roof off the joint.

I've heard people get great Bonamassaish tones out of Mesa amps. The Electra Dyne, Lonestar, MK5, Express 5:50 (NOT the 25) etc.. I know Mesa's are expensive over there but I've heard people finding used Lonestar combos for around £1000 so a head should be slightly cheaper. The Express would most likely be a little cheaper than that.

I'm not sure how much they cost, but the Cornford MK50 also comes to mind... I found a clip of someone doing Bonamassa with one of those a few weeks back and it was fairly killer.

The cornford is around £1500 over here and isn't on gumtree or eBay. I'll check out the mesa boogie stuff though. And about the wattage surely like 100 watts is just overkill?
]
Quote by falcon1439

for some reason my MI audio blues pro and the fat channel were made to be together. i may have a clip on my page from a few years ago. i have been using the zendrive over the clean(er) channel and liked it a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Great, thanks for the help trashed. If you could find that clip I'd be eternally grateful. It's weird because this thread is pro orange and the new amp thread is going for a Marshall. Which one?
]
well, you gig so versatility is good. unformatunately, SRV is a tough one if you want to be spot on. generally if you have a good blues tone, just try to get the playing style and your halfway there. that is teh hardest part after all.

i recommend Dr. Z for gig worthy, great sounding amps that are lower wattage (most models) but still loud as HELL. your going to need to run pedals to pull off heavier tones. atleast some OD or boosts to get lead tones for blues....but what gigging person doesnt already?

if you only wanted 1 thing thats different. would you play metal live? or alice in chains live? that changes everything.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by falcon1439
The cornford is around £1500 over here and isn't on gumtree or eBay. I'll check out the mesa boogie stuff though. And about the wattage surely like 100 watts is just overkill?

Keep in mind that Mesas generally have switchable wattage. A newer Lonestar will do 100/50/10 watts. The 50 watt express does 50/25/5 I believe. There's also the Lonestar Special to consider which is 30/15/5 but honestly I owned one for a short period and I found that it had to be much MUCH louder than the Lonestar Classic before it sounded good.

I gig with my Lonestar and whether I'm playing for 5 people in a small room or 1000 in a large club I leave it on 100 watts and it sounds fantastic. I much prefer the sound of 100 watts to that of 10 watts.

Like I said in my previous post... Wattage doesn't matter nearly as much as you think... Some amps need to be cranked to sound good... Some don't. I find that more often than not amps with 6L6 tubes will sound good at any volume... While amps with EL34s are fizzy at low volumes but sound good at medium to high volume while amps with EL84s need to be cranked to their limits before they'll sound great.
Quote by ikey_
well, you gig so versatility is good. unformatunately, SRV is a tough one if you want to be spot on. generally if you have a good blues tone, just try to get the playing style and your halfway there. that is teh hardest part after all.

i recommend Dr. Z for gig worthy, great sounding amps that are lower wattage (most models) but still loud as HELL. your going to need to run pedals to pull off heavier tones. atleast some OD or boosts to get lead tones for blues....but what gigging person doesnt already?

if you only wanted 1 thing thats different. would you play metal live? or alice in chains live? that changes everything.

Yeah I play metal live. And yes it sounds like alice in chains although it's in drop D
]
Quote by falcon1439
Great, thanks for the help trashed. If you could find that clip I'd be eternally grateful. It's weird because this thread is pro orange and the new amp thread is going for a Marshall. Which one?

i guess it is still on my profile. more of a rythm brootz thing. it was an SG i think it had EMG81's then, but have no idea i have had several pickups in there in the last few years, going into the blues pro, into the Dual Terror Fat channel, gain dimed and i think i added a little bit of gain with the pedal in addition to diming up the volume.

it worked well. the clip is really old though, as all of my clips are probably three years old. a lot has changed since then.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/