Just got Soldano 44 today. First impression: ...n'yah....

For those that are curious, the 44 is a tube amp (great) and I'm sure that when cranked it'll live up to the Soldano rep, but it has only one channel. Don't be fooled by the "Normal" and "Lead" knobs; all this means is that one will be louder than the other simply because these are volume settings not separate channels. So when you stomp on the Soldano pedal, it switches volume levels (or not, if you have both volume knobs at the same setting). What the reviews should say is that the "Preamp" knob is your gain/distortion, so this setting remains the same between the Normal and Lead function, except that the volume will differ depending on how loud you turn each knob. So forget about having a clean and dirty channel; what you actually have is the option of setting different volume levels. The distortion remains essentially the same because of the preamp setting; I say "essentially" because the distortion will differ somewhat if your Lead setting is more than your Normal (well, obviously).

Also, the bass setting doesn't make THAT much of a difference whether it's fully off, or cranked to 11.

Now, my Marshall AVT50 (one tiny preamp tube and the rest is solid state) has two channels. There is also a huge difference between having the bass off and having it cranked.

So, I hope that I'm using the 44 wrong. It's my first tube amp, and my first single channel amp. The 44 gets rave reviews, and IMHO, because it's a tube amp, should easily outperform the Marshall.

I welcome anyone to weigh in, particularly 44 users.

Btw, I'm a recreational musician, and play classic rock ie. AC/DC, VH, etc. I think the 44 can produce these sounds, but....please advise.
Last edited by Bullitt9919 at Apr 22, 2013,
When dishing out for expensive amps, I would hope you looked into it enough to know it was only single channel...
Your options are pretty much either A) keep the gain high enough for your style and roll off your guitars volume for any cleans or B) Set it up clean and get an OD like a Tubescreamer to push those tubes for more distortion.
I don't have much experience with Soldano, but I would figure that with a high quality tube amp of any sort, you should be able to make what you want happen. I mean, I can roll off my High Gain channel on my Mark V to a clean.

Hopefully that helped a bit
Isn't it sacrilegious to use a stomp box on an amp like this? Btw, I did research the amp and realized that it was a single-channel amp, but it purported to have a "Normal" and "Lead" function that you got via a Soldano footswitch, so I assumed, albeit mistakenly, that the distortion could be altered the way you would a two-channel. My mistake. But I'm Googling some more and I'm learning that their may be advantages sonically.
Quote by Bullitt9919
Isn't it sacrilegious to use a stomp box on an amp like this? Btw, I did research the amp and realized that it was a single-channel amp, but it purported to have a "Normal" and "Lead" function that you got via a Soldano footswitch, so I assumed, albeit mistakenly, that the distortion could be altered the way you would a two-channel. My mistake. But I'm Googling some more and I'm learning that their may be advantages sonically.

The pedal and volumes do exactly as they were supposed too. It gives you a bump to "rise above the mix" to a predetermined volume based on the setting.

The number of tubes have nothing to do with the number of channels.

I think you have buyers remorse. did you buy this new or used?

It really may not suit your needs in the end and just a the plain wrong amp for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Bullitt9919

No. There are no rules beyond 'make it work'.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
its not all that rare that higher-end amps have two different volumes that are footswitchable. my splawn promod and nitro have a "solo" knob on the dirty channel, it is engaged by clicking "boost" on the footswitch. it allows to have your volume you play at normal, then when you go for a lead, step on it, and it goes to where the solo knob is set increasing the volume, click back down and you are right where you were playing.

some amps need a boost. nothing wrong with it. look into a OD or even a pedal like a timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/