Dear UG'ers,

I'm new to this world and need some advice on types of electrical guitar.
I'm a beginner, and want to play power metal songs. Mostly Sonata Arctica/Stratovarius style.
Now I need to know which model of guitar would be best to begin with, I was thinking about a Squier Stratocaster (cheap and reliable), sounds nice on youtube. But if anyone has a better idea, I'm open for them!

Thanks in advance :-)
as an owner of a V, LP-typ, and super strat type guitar that loves to play power metal, Ill have to say(opinion) the absolute best shape for beginner, intermediate, and advanced playing is the superstrat. LP-type guitars are nice for rythm, but they can be quite frustrating for lead playing(from experience with my LTD EC-256). My V feels awkward to play in general, so I wouldnt recommend the shape to anyone. but thats just my personal opinion there, alot of people like Vs, but they take getting used to.

the superstrat shape is by far the most balanced Ive played. feels natural to play it on my leg, in classical position, or standing up. and the double cutaway on most superstrats is very convenient for leads and rythm. my experience with my first guitar ever(ibanez rg321) has been great just because of the comfort in playing it. slim neck, and neck accesibility is a must for power metal.

of course, Ill repeat, this is all my opinion. someone quite possibly will say something entirely different and it might be just as valid as my opinion. Id highly recommend the ibanez rg321 to any player in general if they want a good affordable guitar. i believe its the best budget guitar on the planet.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Apr 22, 2013,
In my opinion the Squier Stratocaster is the best beginner guitar one could possibly buy, with that said though for your Power Metal style music you should try to go for the "fat strat" version with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position.

That should give you the sounds you want, Squier are quality guitars and are a fine choice for your first guitar.

Something like this perhaps : http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/310047/squier-standard-fat-strat-special-hss-black-mirror-b-stock?gclid=CMHg3P3a37YCFZQZtAod9ysA7g

Or if that is still too pricey the "Affinity" series are also great. For example this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-affinity-fat-strat-metallic-red/15967?gclid=CImJ2cfb37YCFQjKtAodZ28ANA
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 22, 2013,
"Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit? Practical should be around 250, limit about 350-400 (euros!)

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to? Yes, certainly. Stratovarius/Sonata Arctica/John 5

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want? I very much like the general Strato design

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for? Honestly, no idea what all this means :/ Like I said, I'm kinda new to this

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck. I'd prefer new, but used wouldn't be a problem!

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc). Belgium. More detailed: Roeselare, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know. Don't have one :-)"

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still doubting between the Superstrat and the Fat Strato though.. They both look beautiful, but I'm not sure what the difference in sound is.
I was thinking about this guitar pack: http://www.keymusic.com/en/product/Squier-Affinity-Strat-HSS-Pack-GDec-Jr-Candy-Apple-Red

Oh, and one more question. What would the best (beginners-)amp be for the music styles mentioned above?
Last edited by RandalVa at Apr 24, 2013,
A super strat and a fat strat are essencially the same thing. Basically the name "super strat" came from guys who modified their Stratocasters with Humbucker (double coil) pickups, and often locking tremolo systems like the Floyd Rose. Later companies like Ibanez released guitars with "strat style" shaped bodies and the above features built in, such as the Ibanez RG (which is basically a pointy strat).

That one you linked above is ideal, and I think you have chosen well.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
looks like a good deal. havent personally heard the mustang 15 sound, but have read/seen some positive reviews of it compared to other modeling amps. should be worth your money while you learn.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
do you need much volume? if not, probably a roland microcube, assuming you don't want to spend too much. the vox mini3 is pretty nice too, has more amp models, but might be better at the lower gain tones. it has a soldano model which is nice for high gain lead tones, though.

that squier pack already has an amp in it, just to point out.

also the squier only has 21 frets, if you'll be playing a lot of lead, 22 (or even 24) might be better. yamaha pacifica 112v maybe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was going to reccomend a starter Ibanez or LTD super strat.
24 frets for your power metal leads, fast and playable necks and a choice between fixed bridges and floating tremolos.
http://www.espguitars.co.uk/guitars-ltd-mh100qm.html
the 103 version has a maple fingerboard and two single coils instead of a neck humbucker like the 100qm.
That is whate I would reccomend, they look beautiful and LTD has amazing quality for the price.
Thanks for all the replies!
I wasn't aware that the 22-24 frets were essential for power metal leads, so thanks for the advice! I'll be looking out for that then :-)

N1ghtmar3C1n3ma: That's actually a very nice guitar, thanks for the tip!
Edit: It is quite pricey though, 285-299 for the guitar without amp/cables/bag/tuner/.. D: I'll need to find a good deal on the those then if I want to buy this guitar. But it looks like high quality stuff!
Last edited by RandalVa at Apr 24, 2013,
I wouldn't say essential, but they won't hurt (the extra frets).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Floyd rose on a first guitar is the silliest thing I've ever seen, don't do it. You don't "need" more than 21 frets, by time you do (if ever) you will be a long way down the road and will have a good Idea what "You" really want for a second guitar.

That LTD will be frustrating as hell to keep in tune, to change strings and the quality of the bridge is going to suffer from the low budget price, it's a string of headaches waiting to happen.. There is a reason that the Stratocaster is the perfect starter guitar. Versatile and capable of a wide variety of sounds, very comfortable, easy to maintain, good quality for the money (in the case of the squier) accross the board and no overly complicated hardware (like a floyd rose style trem).

I've been playing for just over 12 years, and also went through a power metal phase in my music tastes, I have a 24fret Ibanez Jem and I play a lot of solo's but my main guitar is a 21 fret Stratocaster now, just the same as I started out on.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 24, 2013,
So, in a nutshell, the Squier Affinity Strat HSS Pack would do great as a beginners guitar for instrumental/power metal?
And the extra frets wouldn't hurt, but aren't essential for it?

Because the Squier (21-fret) guitar looked very nice for the price to me, so I'd actually like to go with that one if that is the right choice
The Squier starter pack you chose should serve you very well. I would go for it, and good luck!
Quote by RandalVa
So, in a nutshell, the Squier Affinity Strat HSS Pack would do great as a beginners guitar for instrumental/power metal?
And the extra frets wouldn't hurt, but aren't essential for it?

Because the Squier (21-fret) guitar looked very nice for the price to me, so I'd actually like to go with that one if that is the right choice

The Stratocaster is like the ultimate versatile guitar, with that H/S/S configuration it can pretty much do everything and do it well, they are ideal for beginners because they are essencially designed for ultimate comfort/convenience. Extra frets certaintly don't hurt but they definitely aren't essential either.

There is a good chance that if your playing comes along well you will want something new in the future, this is the way for all guitarists, and you may end up with something that has 24 frets and a floyd rose, but atleast then you may be in a position where you can spend a good deal of money to buy something of real quality, rather than buying a low budget one now and having lots of issues.

So once again, I will still advise the Squier Stratocaster, Whatever you get I hope you enjoy your new instrument and learning to play.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V