Its not music I listen to alot, but a while back I heard some really strange, atonal & complex bass playing. The story went he asked for a string deal and they didnt believe he was playing it till he sent some live footage in. Instead of asking some vague thing like "hey whats that bassline, by that band with the guy with the arms" im hoping if I ask for some similar stuff i'll come across it. Plus it'd be cool to hear something different.

It was a prog/math metal band, or whatever that highly technical metal is called these days. Atonal, lots of weird intervals and timing to the point of some doubting its a bass. Im guessing Zappa & John Zorn were big influences on this guy. I googled whoever it was at the time and it seemed they had a following but werent big like Opeth or Meshuggah, but now I cant remember who it is and its bugging me cuz im ocd'ish

So, weird, complex atonal bass tracks? Any suggestions?
It was not atonal (please learn what that word means), but it was Chris Arp from Psyopus. He actually plays guitar, and is the brainchild of the band; being the only consistent member.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
atonal music isn't widely done in rock--Brian Eno's Ambient albums and in a stretch some of Fred Firth's stuff could be described as such. Though I hear rumors of atonal death metal stuff.

Atonal Jazz bass : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5JrFaM28l4
Search Jeroen Paul Thesseling, the former bassist for technical death metal band Obscura. He's work in Obscura is pretty awesome, being a kind of atrademark for the band. Anyway, the rue weird dissonant shit is in his website. He has some pieces written in some 72 temperament scale shit or something. Very experimental, maybe that's what you're looking for.

EDIT: He plays fretless

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Banjocal
It was not atonal (please learn what that word means), but it was Chris Arp from Psyopus. He actually plays guitar, and is the brainchild of the band; being the only consistent member.

YES! Psyopus' Insects! Thank you!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojGUVOfk7A

I had remembered it very different, I thought it was all on bass, larger intervals, no vocals and different sounding. But this is definitely it. To someone who grew up when the fastest band was motorhead and doesnt listen to anything like this, its really difficult to hear any tonal center on something this insanely fast on 1st listen. I thought it was atonal. Even with you telling me theres tonal structure ive had to listen to it a few times to start to be able to hear it. Its definitly not completely atonal like what anarkee posted, but are there atonal sections?

I have a coworker who spent the 60s & 70s playing guitar for the backing bands of people like Chubby Checker, Fats Domino and other 50s acts. I mentioned how insanely fast people were playing these days, and he said "you mean like van halen? Man I dont know how that guy does it". Ive been searching for this psyopus track for days so I can see his reaction. Plus he comes from a large family of professional musicians (his kids now as well) and has an amazing ear, im really curious how much tonality he can pick out.

Jeroen Paul Thesseling's 72 temperment scale...I found his page but theres nothing listed under recordings. Ill look into it more at work tomorrow, curious to hear that.
Knowing Arp, there may be atonal parts. But 99% of it is just dissonant.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
The (ex) bassist from obscura is doing some crazy 7 string fretless stuff. google it though because I dont have links.

---edit---
already been said
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
Last edited by jonathan.keeler at Apr 23, 2013,
Someone tabbed Insects it out for guitar pro, it sounds pretty normal slowed down 50% actually. Im definitely going to try to track down some of Jeroen Paul Thesseling's stuff.

I actually stayed up way too late last night reading about atonal composers. I knew about bands like DNA and Glen Brianca, the noisier preindustrial stuff that followed them like throbbing gristle and einsturzende neubauten, the stuff thats just labeled "noise" (I cant name a band, thats too much for me to listen to) but I didnt realize it all had a basis with these avant garde composers. I assumed there was a few, but not as many as im reading about. I thought Anton Webern's "serialism", which (i think) is using intervals defined by a mathamatical or spatial equation and not paying attention to which notes those may actually be. But in a 12 note system and the minds ability to grab patterns out of anything im curious to play around with this a bit to see how it really sounds.