Page 1 of 2
Think about it. I think it's inevitable, if not for regulation of human rights, then to be able to defend ourselves against some outside visitor of some sort because if we encountered an alien officially for the first time, the only option would be to heighten defense in a cohesive way to counter a possible army headed our way.

But say we have a global army. Would the nation-state forever be lost? Would, or could, armed forces be used and abused for horrific atrocities by someone or some group? What would happen if there was a global military force/government?
the United Nations is the closest thing to a "global military" that is ever going to happen. If there is an encounter of that sort the UN would sort things out. Plus they already deal with the regulation of human rights. This exists already.
Last edited by Addonexus408 at Apr 22, 2013,
Completely and utterly not going to happen. Did you even think this over?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Addonexus408
the United Nations is the closest thing to a "global military" that is ever going to happen. If there is an encounter of that sort the UN would sort things out..

Oh goody, I feel safer already, since the UN has such a stellar record thus far in regard to it's 'peacekeepers'...

To the OP, It's not going to happen for a VERY long time, if ever.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I find it hilarious that you guys do not believe it could ever happen You're thinking too much in the now.
Quote by MediaMate1
I find it hilarious that you guys do not believe it could ever happen You're thinking too much in the now.

Quote by MediaMate1

Its not 4/20 anymore dude lay off the dank
Quote by MediaMate1
Do you believe in aliens?

define aliens

any other life in the universe?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by MediaMate1
yeah, a perfect society could be established in every country in the future

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Are we talking about a military where every state on earth is a member, or just a military that could overpower any other state on earth?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
define aliens

any other life in the universe?

Yes, any life that visits us

My point is that if we had to form a force formidable enough to fight an extraterrestrial invader, or maybe not even to fight them, but to just DETER them from attacking us, then that would mean we would have to forever maintain some global army, and with it a government to grant its powers. So we'd be stuck with a massive global force, and what would happen if that occurred?
Last edited by MediaMate1 at Apr 22, 2013,
Not in today's world, maybe 100 or so years from now. That said us in the UK are sharing naval and airforce aspects with the French currently, and the wars over in Iraq and Afghanistan has had NATO forces working together even more tightly.

I think the best you are going to get is a more unified NATO force but even then if a new war starts up its likely that some countries will not put forward.
Last edited by Arnthor at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by MediaMate1
Yes, any life that visits us

we'd be aliens to them too.

universe is kinda big. the chance of finding some other life isn't that big.

if you mean big green slimy aliens which I assume you do

problem with the UN is that the countries with with the veto right can never be denied it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
About as likely as TS getting a clue

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Arnthor
Not in today's world, maybe 100 or so years from now. That said Us in the UK are sharing naval and airforce aspects with the French currently, and the wars over in Iraq and Afghanistan has had NATO forces working together even more tightly.

I think the best you are going to get is a more unified NATO force but even then if a new war starts up its likely that some countries will not put forward.

Nah

bigotry won't be gone in 100 years or even a thousand.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Lets say aliens exist. We know there are none in out galaxy so that would mean they have to travel from a different galaxy and given that we still can't even get to Mars, that would mean their technology was far superior to ours. If they came to start a war with us, even if every country on Earth united, we still wouldn't stand a chance. (this is assuming their advanced technology includes weapons)
Quote by Banjocal
Nah

bigotry won't be gone in 100 years or even a thousand.

Depends what you mean by global military. If that means every country on earth providing some military assets then yeah id agree with you, unless you could class a large number of countries uniting under one military force then i can see it happening with western countries.

World War I & II didn't include every country in the world, yet its still known as a world war.
Quote by Addonexus408
the United Nations is the closest thing to a "global military" that is ever going to happen. If there is an encounter of that sort the UN would sort things out. Plus they already deal with the regulation of human rights. This exists already.

The problem is that the UN has a bad record when it comes to "peacekeeping". Also, the UN is very much at the mercy of the member nations for funds.

Finally, the UN has very little power to enforce human rights. If they did have such power, then North Korea would probably not be allowed to starve millions of its citizens, and China would be held to higher account for its human rights breaches. In other words, despite "regulation of human rights", the UN has almost null enforcement of such policies.
Quote by Arnthor
Depends what you mean by global military. If that means every country on earth providing some military assets then yeah id agree with you, unless you could class a large number of countries uniting under one military force then i can see it happening with western countries.

World War I & II didn't include every country in the world, yet its still known as a world war.

I can see your point but if it's a global army, it covers the globe and/or a large majority of the countries of the world

see above. the majority, as the countries participating spanned across the world
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by MediaMate1

Let me know your plan for ending all terrible forms of human abuse and terror, and then I will consider it.
If we advance far enough to inhabit multiple planets then yeah, I think they would eventually be a thing.
My God, it's full of stars!
Not in the slightest. Joint warfare is kinda sorta a thing but that's as close as were gonna get, I do believe.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Before military unity you need political unity. Before political unity you need economic unity. Before economic unity you need.... something that will never happen.

Either that or aliens
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The problem is that the UN has a bad record when it comes to "peacekeeping". Also, the UN is very much at the mercy of the member nations for funds.

Finally, the UN has very little power to enforce human rights. If they did have such power, then North Korea would probably not be allowed to starve millions of its citizens, and China would be held to higher account for its human rights breaches. In other words, despite "regulation of human rights", the UN has almost null enforcement of such policies.

Whether they do a good job or not. It's still the closest thing of that nature that the world has that I am aware of.
It wont be a thing unless we are attacked before hand. Our culture learns by disasters and corrects those disasters with precautions once the initial threat is taken care of. Just like that meteor that landed in mother russia. It got everyone freaked out over global annihilation.

So until we are physically attacked by an unknown alien race, an alien threat does not exist.

As for a global military organization, that already exists as UN. The only problem is that the UN isnt a global military organization.

Also contractor and mercenary companies would be larger as well.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Addonexus408
Whether they do a good job or not. It's still the closest thing of that nature that the world has that I am aware of.

But, by virtue of being ineffective, it doesn't really fit the qualifications of "global military". Also, the UN is a mostly diplomatic body that just happens to have a relatively small force of peacekeeping soldiers. Conversely, a military is a purely offensive/defensive force of soldiers that just might happen to a few diplomats.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 22, 2013,
there would never be a "global army" in the sense i think your thinking. it would likely just be the top generals for each nation in a war room type deal all controlling their own armies but negotiating with each other about who goes where and what not.

but f**k that
If we encountered intelligent alien life they'd probably be so much more advanced than us there wouldn't be any point in resisting.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
We cannot travel to other inhabitable planets and are nowhere close to be able to do so, yet have the ability to destroy our own planet.

How would be able to compete with an alien race that CAN travel to other inhabitable planets?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Based on my small amount of knowledge in basic International Relations, the odds of every nation combing their military strength to combat "evil" is highly unlikely, if not impossible.

Too many states subscribe to the realist ideology that claims people will always do what is in their best interests. A nation like the United States, for example, wouldn't commit a vast amount of resources to intervene in some international issue that wasn't in its interest or didn't have the potential to reward it in one way or another.

I guess I'm still confused about what the TS means when he/she says "global military". Is this like a NATO-type treaty or is it simply all the world governments coming together and completely combining military forces to enforce international law?
Όποιος γίνεται πρόβατο τον τρώει ο λύκος

Page 1 of 2