I'm painting one of my buddy's Epiphone Basses, I shot it with about 3/4 a can of white primer/color, and now I'm shooting the clear. My question is, is one can of Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane enough? Or should I shoot the entire second can as well?
I typically use 2-3 cans of color and 2 cans minimum of clear coat. The more coats the more durable the finish will be
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I typically use 2-3 cans of color and 2 cans minimum of clear coat. The more coats the more durable the finish will be

Makes sense, I'm just scared of going through the clear when I wet sand. Also, how long does 2 cans of Poly take to dry? A week? A month?
Quote by Punisher23j
Makes sense, I'm just scared of going through the clear when I wet sand. Also, how long does 2 cans of Poly take to dry? A week? A month?

Depends on what the temp and humidity is in your area, but No more than a day or 2 for Poly.

I use Acrylic lacquer and Nitro Lacquer so the wait is quite a bit longer for paint to cure
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Depends on what the temp and humidity is in your area, but No more than a day or 2 for Poly.

I use Acrylic lacquer and Nitro Lacquer so the wait is quite a bit longer for paint to cure

It's 90 degrees here with around 10% humidity. That's pretty good, no?
Quote by Punisher23j
It's 90 degrees here with around 10% humidity. That's pretty good, no?

Yep that is great painting weather.

It is 88 where I'm at but it is also 50+% humidity almost every day, so painting kinda sucks sometimes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yep that is great painting weather.

It is 88 where I'm at but it is also 50+% humidity almost every day, so painting kinda sucks sometimes

Awesome, thanks for the help!
Quote by Robbgnarly

This is very very bad and untrue...
ANY poly takes longer than a day to dry. ESPECIALLY if you are spraying whole cans at a time.

I have used minwax for over 5 years on guitars. Even at 90* it will take at least a week for around 3 heavy coats to fully dry.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
ANY poly takes longer than a day to dry. ESPECIALLY if you are spraying whole cans at a time.

I have used minwax for over 5 years on guitars. Even at 90* it will take at least a week for around 3 heavy coats to fully dry.

Thanks for the info, I have never used Poly paint on guitars at all. I do use Nitro an Acrylic and that takes a long time to cure.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's 'dry' and then there's dry. Personally, poly or otherwise, I leave a body for at least a week before touching it.

As for coats, more coats (i.e. more cans) does result in a more durable finish, but it also results in a less resonant guitar. Poly is also more durable than nitro, anyway. I usually find that one coat each of primer, colour and clear is all that's needed, and I never use up the cans completely. If you're going for a transparent colour, thus skipping primer, an extra third or half-can of clear would probably be wise. A whole two cans of clear will be overkill unless you are very heavy-handed with your sanding and buffing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The other important consideration is the size of the can. Are we talking 300 ml/12 oz cans or 500 ml/16 oz?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
The other important consideration is the size of the can. Are we talking 300 ml/12 oz cans or 500 ml/16 oz?

I believe they are the 12oz cans.
Quote by Explorerbuilder

That's odd, this one took sandpaper after 3 days. The label said if you missed the 2 hour recoat time you have to wait 72 hours to then sand and recoat. But I guess I'll leave it for a week so I don't mess up and have to redo the entire guitar.