Like on the SG and 335/339. Has anybody ever tried this? I'm curious how it would affect the feel of the guitar and maneuverability while standing up in placing the neck.

With my SG with a strap button on the back, I can pull the guitar to my right while soloing which places the neck in a more comfortable position. Do you think this is possible with with Les Paul?

What if I put the strap button in the bull's eye of this pic? That should solve the problem of the top tipping forward and the fact that the button would be in the way when playing upper frets. Do you think this would work?

"teh most gains"
Whats wrong with where the strap button is now?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Whats wrong with where the strap button is now?

It has the tendency to tilt the neck upward, and I suspect the supreme comfort I feel when playing the SG is largely due to the strap button being on the back.
"teh most gains"
I'd imagine the body's only going to tilt forward more if you do this. I did this exact thing to my explorer to solve neck dive issues, and the body tilts forward slightly, though isn't a problem, but does it more so than when the strap button was in its old place.
Quote by mountain2012
It has the tendency to tilt the neck upward, and I suspect the supreme comfort I feel when playing the SG is largely due to the strap button being on the back.

I bet it's because the SG has contours and is a lot lighter. I also don't see how an LP strap button could possibly be in the way of your fretting.

Still, there's nothing wrong with experimenting with the strap button if you really think it's going to help. Go nuts, it's just one screw.
Quote by Lavatain
I'd imagine the body's only going to tilt forward more if you do this. I did this exact thing to my explorer to solve neck dive issues, and the body tilts forward slightly, though isn't a problem, but does it more so than when the strap button was in its old place.

Did you put the button dead center or more towards the upper bout?

Quote by Explorerbuilder
Dont put it offset. Just put id dead center of the heel.

Dead center of the heel is going to be in the way when playing the upper frets and will cause the guitar to tilt forward.

The SG has its strap button at about the location of the yellow bull's eye on the Les Paul pic below. I'm thinking about drilling where the pink circle is, or do you think that would make it really neck heavy, seeing that an SG is already neck heavy, but doesn't have that added weight from the non-cut-out area of the Les Paul? What do you think?

"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Apr 23, 2013,
Those two new spots seem like a bad idea to me. Look at how far in from the edge they are. That's going to be terribly awkward with a strap and it's probably going to mess up the balance. On top of that you might hit the neck pocket. I'd stick with that white dot.
Quote by mountain2012

Dead center of the heel is going to be in the way when playing the upper frets and will cause the guitar to tilt forward.

[

And why might you assume that?
I have put it there on many les pauls, and it balances better than anywhere else... You should not assume things unless you have tried it. And it doesnt get in the way either.