Page 1 of 3
k.lainad
unbanned
2,244 IQ
I did some searching and couldn't find any threads dedicated to this wonderful band, so I decided to make a thread. If there is a thread already on this band, please tell me so I can remove this. Thanks.

Anyways, so who here just loves this kick ass technical death metal band? I love every single song from The Harvest Wombs; the guitar's are done so well. I can't wait till their next record.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
They're not technical Death Metal; they're Deathcore, albeit technical Deathcore.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,530 IQ
...and the new EP is anything BUT deathcore. No breakdowns, all riffs. Easily the best prog death metal I've heard in years. The overall atmosphere that pervades all three tracks really sucked me in, and the constant melodic themes really help anchor the whole thing. Obviously purists will find a million reasons to pick it apart, but anyone who wants some sweet melodic/tech death metal, check it out. It's easily the best thing that's come out this year so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjyCb43f7tc
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Yeah the new EP is not Deathcore at all.

I'd Probably put it under the Progressive Banner though. Not the tech, it lacks the pointless wank of Tech.

They call them selves "Ambient Death Metal" which is less stupid that in sounds tbh.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,530 IQ
I think if we're using pretentious genres, then "atmospheric death metal" would work, but only in the most obvious, aesthetic kind of way. Still, I absolutely LOVE this EP. Those hammer on runs in the main riff to The Dead Sea... ugh... so good. And the outro to Venom Upon the Blade? Jeeeesus. I WISH I could write something that intense.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I reviewed this album for a Staff Writing position on a metal site so I had an excuse to listen to it over and over again.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah the new EP is not Deathcore at all.

I'd Probably put it under the Progressive Banner though. Not the tech, it lacks the pointless wank of Tech.

They call them selves "Ambient Death Metal" which is less stupid that in sounds tbh.
Yeah, just bought the new EP, and I'd agree with that. It's very well done, and basically lost the Deathcore aspects that their earlier work had.
Bazz22
246 IQ
I didn't care for their first release, but this new EP is excellent.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Bazz22
I didn't care for their first release, but this new EP is excellent.

Their first release, as in their LP ("Harvest Wombs") or as in their first EP (called "Leper Colony", btw). Because their LP is very similar to this EP. Difference is, the EP has less "Deathcore-y" moments. But, tbh, the "Deathcore-y" moments were very minimal on their LP. If I heard right through the grapevine, "Leper Colony" is their most "Deathcore-y" release.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 25, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
the "Deathcore-y" moments were very minimal on their LP.

I would disagree. The main issue with the LP was that they had awesome riffs that they just ended by chugging away. Which ruins the tracks.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
I would disagree. The main issue with the LP was that they had awesome riffs that they just ended by chugging away. Which ruins the tracks.

Ok, minimal compared to something like this, which is very much downtuned simple riffage combined with a chug-fest.

My point is, Fallujah never really had that "classic" Deathcore vibe that everyone thinks of when you say Deathcore.
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by Magero
...and the new EP is anything BUT deathcore. No breakdowns, all riffs. Easily the best prog death metal I've heard in years. The overall atmosphere that pervades all three tracks really sucked me in, and the constant melodic themes really help anchor the whole thing. Obviously purists will find a million reasons to pick it apart, but anyone who wants some sweet melodic/tech death metal, check it out. It's easily the best thing that's come out this year so far.

This really isn't Death Metal. It's clearly part of the Deathcore "family" of sounds. In a certain sense, it reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus in its attempt to integrate an atmospheric approach to song writing into the Deathcore framework. The interplay of melodies was interesting and surprisingly well done, but the Necrophagist riffs were blugh. I'd qualify this as listenable but ultimately flawed, in the sense that all Deathcore is flawed.

If you are interested in technical Death Metal with strong atmosphere, I would recommend Close to a World Below by Immolation. It strays sufficiently from the standard Death Metal lexicon, thanks to the ingenuity of riff fiend Bob Vigna, that you might enjoy it.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS
This really isn't Death Metal. It's clearly part of the Deathcore "family" of sounds. In a certain sense, it reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus in its attempt to integrate an atmospheric approach to song writing into the Deathcore framework. The interplay of melodies was interesting and surprisingly well done, but the Necrophagist riffs were blugh. I'd qualify this as listenable but ultimately flawed, in the sense that all Deathcore is flawed.

If you are interested in technical Death Metal with strong atmosphere, I would recommend Close to a World Below by Immolation. It strays sufficiently from the standard Death Metal lexicon, thanks to the ingenuity of riff fiend Bob Vigna, that you might enjoy it.

That bolded part sounds like an ANUS review, and I don't like it...
Your assertion that it's flawed is unprovable and simply echoes the ANUS type of opinion on Deathcore in general.

Nonetheless, your points are mostly correct, except you're forgetting that Fallujah's new EP basically follows a progressive Death Metal approach to songwriting, which (to me anyway) puts it more in the Death Metal camp than the Deathcore camp. Btw, Fallujah is hardly the first band to transition from Deathcore to Death Metal. There's a few others that have done it well before them.

Also, Immolation is cool.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS

I want to hear your reasons for saying that all Deathcore is flawed.

Oh, and definitely people should check out Immolation, Here And After, Close To A World Below, and Unholy Cult are all great albums.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Cuz it has the word core in it hurhurhur

Quote by DisarmGoliath
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I want to hear your reasons for saying that all Deathcore is flawed

Probably something along the lines of lacking the true Nihilism of Death Metal...
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
I just listened to the EP. I'll be honest, I have a hard time calling it Death Metal.

It sounds like they took Post-Rock atmosphere and added squeaky clean shred solos, chuggy riffs, blast beats, and some growls to it. It's not bad or anything, I just don't think adding the Death Metal tag to it has much weight.

Quote by Kytokinesis
I'm pretty sure hes not from anus

I feel that there is enough evidence to claim this.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I just listened to the EP. I'll be honest, I have a hard time calling it Death Metal.

It sounds like they took Post-Rock atmosphere and added squeaky clean shred solos, chuggy riffs, blast beats, and some growls to it. It's not bad or anything, I just don't think adding the Death Metal tag to it has much weight.

Ok, but even the band themselves agrees they're not pure Death Metal. There's enough Death Metal there though that we couldn't probably call it Deathcore though.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, but even the band themselves agrees they're not pure Death Metal. There's enough Death Metal there though that we couldn't probably call it Deathcore though.

I'm still unsure what qualifies for Deathcore. I don't think there has ever been a period of consistent bands in that "subgenre" that weren't horrible, so a lot of stuff could be Deathcore without actually being Deathcore.

I would just call this band Extreme Metal and be done with it.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,530 IQ
To be honest, I actually don't disagree with ol' NFA up there. He's right, it's not REALLY death metal, it's just closer to death metal, by proxy of the deathcore origins and "prog" leanings. I still maintain that aesthetically, it's not deathcore anymore, as all of the heavy riff styles are basically modern interpretations of 90s/early 2000s death metal (Necrophagist may suck, but they're still death metal, right?) mixed in with "progressive" metal influences.

To be honest, whatever works for you guys, label it that. All I care about is how amazing this EP is. Apparently they have a full length in the same vein coming out later this year called "The Eternal Return".
Last edited by Magero at Apr 25, 2013,
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'm still unsure what qualifies for Deathcore. I don't think there has ever been a period of consistent bands in that "subgenre" that weren't horrible, so a lot of stuff could be Deathcore without actually being Deathcore.

I would just call this band Extreme Metal and be done with it.

lol, that works.
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I want to hear your reasons for saying that all Deathcore is flawed.

Ask Steve.

Quote by Magero
it's not REALLY death metal, it's just closer to death metal, by proxy of the deathcore origins and "prog" leanings. ... the heavy riff styles are basically modern interpretations of 90s/early 2000s death metal ... mixed in with "progressive" metal influences.

I don't think this actually makes it closer to Death Metal. Death Metal effectively died in the early 90's, with only a few notable exceptions. There were some bands that began experimenting with different approaches to the genre (e.g. Supuration, Gorguts, Martyr) and the artistically vacuous Slam movement. Most of what is considered "Progressive Death Metal," from which this band draws heavy influence, deviates substantially from Death Metal both in riff craft and structure. I wouldn't even really consider Necrophagist to be Death Metal. So the fact that this band is moving in a direction that is removed from Death Metal doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but taking the music as is, it clearly is closely related to Deathcore (as I previously stated).

I would agree that whatever you want to call them doesn't fundamentally alter the nature of their music, so this aspect of the discussion is largely meaningless.

Anyway, it's nice to see some agreement.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS
Ask Steve.

Most of the people who have posted in this thread have had many a discussion with Steve.

His opinions are rather flawed in my eyes and in most other peoples; to those that do not agree with him, he is considered narrow minded (as they do not allow for any form of musical growth within the metal genre outside of pre-defined concepts); not a musical savant.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Most of the people who have posted in this thread have had many a discussion with Steve.

I know. It was a flippant response, but he is more familiar with Deathcore than me.

he is considered narrow minded ... not a musical savant.

I don't consider him a musical savant either. While there are some good musicians around here, there is only one I know of who reaches any type of level approaching savant (and he hasn't been here in a long time). I don't consider him narrow minded, though. He recognizes that there is objectivity to art and that the recurrent musical patterns in any movement, including Death Metal, are not arbitrary or random. There is ample room within Death Metal for growth, even from an allegedly constrictive view. It's just that not all growth is good; for example, cancerous growth is bad.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS
Ask Steve.

Or, I could not...

I don't think this actually makes it closer to Death Metal. Death Metal effectively died in the early 90's, with only a few notable exceptions. There were some bands that began experimenting with different approaches to the genre (e.g. Supuration, Gorguts, Martyr) and the artistically vacuous Slam movement. Most of what is considered "Progressive Death Metal," from which this band draws heavy influence, deviates substantially from Death Metal both in riff craft and structure.

And yet, by virtue of being progressive, it doesn't have to draw solely on Death Metal in riff craft or structure, though the influence must be heavy I'll admit.

I wouldn't even really consider Necrophagist to be Death Metal.

And yet, everyone else would. Or at least, they'd call them Technical/Progressive (depending on who you asked) Death Metal. I really don't know what, other than the fact that they're not Death Metal in the vein of what you consider "pure Death Metal", you base this idea on.

So the fact that this band is moving in a direction that is removed from Death Metal doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but taking the music as is, it clearly is closely related to Deathcore (as I previously stated).

Yes, it's rather hard for bands to completely remove the influence of an earlier genre from their writing style.

Quote by NotFromANUS
I know. It was a flippant response, but he is more familiar with Deathcore than me.

Steve seems to loathe Deathcore, so I don't know how he'd be familiar with it. I've seen him bash the genre several times in the Deathcore thread.

There is ample room within Death Metal for growth, even from an allegedly constrictive view.

Didn't you say above that you think Death Metal effectively died in the '90s, with some notable exceptions?
I'm confused. Either you're saying that only a few exceptions will cause it to grow (which could be true); or you're saying that, "in reality", Death Metal really won't see a lot of growth and will probably subsequently die off. Either way, I don't see how you could support either of those statements with anything other than mere opinion. Time will tell naturally, in both cases.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
He's saying that the genre stopped having consistent growth after the '90's. There have obviously been bands and albums that have brought something fresh to the table, but it's certainly not been like the '90's were.

I also asked Steve and am waiting for a reply.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
He's saying that the genre stopped having consistent growth after the '90's. There have obviously been bands and albums that have brought something fresh to the table, but it's certainly not been like the '90's were.

Ok, I would agree with that, but I also don't see that as a huge issue.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, I would agree with that, but I also don't see that as a huge issue.

It's not an issue because it's the inevitable outcome for any genre of music. He doesn't see it as an issue, at least I don't think he does, he just thinks that there have been bands that have played Death Metal in a unique way and did it right, but calling bands that play an extremely different style of Metal as Death Metal for 'cause it's kind of similar is silly.

That's what I got out of it anyway. Oh, and Martyr is really good.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
It's not an issue because it's the inevitable outcome for any genre of music. He doesn't see it as an issue, at least I don't think he does, he just thinks that there have been bands that have played Death Metal in a unique way and did it right, but calling bands that play an extremely different style of Metal as Death Metal for 'cause it's kind of similar is silly.

Yes, but the style isn't that dissimilar from Progressive Death Metal, which is my main point.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'm actually curious; what are you calling Progressive Death Metal?

I personally define it as something with a heavy death metal influence (this being the strongest and most obvious influence), interesting arrangements, occasional odd time signatures (optional), and often with influences from other genres.
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
uh how about death metal that progresses
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
@Sam: Give your best examples of Progressive Death Metal bands.

@TWC: Could you be more specific to what you mean by "progresses"?
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
no
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26

I also asked Steve and am waiting for a reply.

My issue with people saying this is that there really has been consistent growth in death metal and through its influence, but so many die-hard fans are so attached to early DM for whatever reason that they reject all of that out of hand.

It's akin to people insisting that good music died in *insert decade here*. There has been growth and expansion; they just don't like it.
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
@TWC: Could you be more specific to what you mean by "progresses"?

like starts out death/doom and develops into pop punk post thrash by the end
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax