I'm the classic "straight into the amp" player and never used effects all that much. When I do it's always been modulation/time effects (chorus, delay, reverb). I'm thinking of picking up a boost for my amp and it would be cool if it helped with the only real gripe I have about it too..

The amp is a Peavey VTM60, which for all purposes is a single channel JCM800. The upper highs are rather harsh and can be piercing at times, otherwise I'm completely satisfied with this amp. I thought about picking up a boost to tighten everything up a bit, if I could find one that would kill some fizz as well I would be very happy

My first idea was a Blues Driver/Screamin' Blues because they aren't quite as trebly as a Tube Screamer and have dedicated bass/treble knobs (unlike the Blues Driver). Thoughts, or something else I should look into? Or am I wishing for a product that doesn't exist

I'd like to try an EQ at some point too. This amp has PLENTY of treble and upper mids btw
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 22, 2013,
Yeah, I agree with the EQ suggestion.

You might want to look at the Bad Monkey or the Hardwire CM-2. Used the CM-2 is ~$40 and is a better Bad Monkey pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any recommendations on an EQ then? It seems the 10-band MXR is tossed around a lot, and their used prices are nearly their new prices so I'm assuming it's a decent pedal.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The Bad Monkey is a smoother sounding OD than the Hardwire though, if you want a smooth overdrive pedal you could also try the Marshall Bluesbreaker II.

With that said I actually agree with the EQ pedal, probably in the effects loop to sort out your issues. The MXR10 is pretty much "the" eq pedal, atleast it is one of the most popular and highly rated.

If you don't want to spend that much, the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ gets good reviews and is dirt cheap.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 22, 2013,
Blues Drivers are crazy trebly, what you on about fool?

MXR 10 band or even a GE7 will do.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Have one of our homeboys make you a Klone or a Timmy clone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Eppicurt
Blues Drivers are crazy trebly, what you on about fool?

+1, ditto the bluesbreaker (or at least moreso than a ts). even a timmy isn't as smooth as a ts.

i'd just get a tubescreamer (or clone).

what speakers are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?