Hey guys,
So I've played shows quite recently, and while people said we sounded good, the soundguys weren't exactly the greatest and were not being much help. I couldn't even hear myself onstage.
My band's setup is such, for reference: Keyboard/Lead vocals/Occaisional acoustic
Lead guitar (Me)
Bass
Drums
We already go through the task of having a full piano in the mix, ways to monitor the frequencies and everything, but i always find it quite frustrating that the soundguy wants me to turn really quiet (200w ss head thru 4x12 or 100w thru 2x12) and then makes me the right volume from the PA.
What would you guys think of, if in a smaller venue, I had my 4x12 at a high enough volume to be heard evenly with the PA and vocals? Would that be a good idea?
I know that's how it used to be done way back when, when vocals were through the PA and basses and guitars each had their own stack, unmic'ed.
I just seem to have been having trouble with soundguys recently, so I figured, maybe this way I'd have more control over my sound and volume, stage and projected.
Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Tldr: Soundguys recently have sucked. Thoughts on a 4x12 going unmic'ed?
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Quote by joshmckinnon
people said we sounded good
i always find it quite frustrating that the soundguy wants me to turn really quiet (200w ss head thru 4x12 or 100w thru 2x12) and then makes me the right volume from the PA.

The sound guys are doing their job perfectly. All you need to be able to hear on stage is just enough so you can play along.
If you couldn't hear yourself onstage, then ask for more sound in your monitors. Literally all you can do if people are saying they can hear you and you sound good from off the stage.
Quote by willT08
The sound guys are doing their job perfectly. All you need to be able to hear on stage is just enough so you can play along.

Thing is, I can't. And we keep asking, but they either say, yeah sure and they don't or they just dont even listen to us. And it's not just me, the bassist can barely hear me too.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Stop scooping your mids.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Do NOT piss off the sound guy. They wield unholy powers. Just communicate, man, it's not that hard - tell them what you need to hear and they'll try and do it. As soon as you play with your amp you're putting the sound guy out of the loop and they can't do their job.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by AtaBorMan
Stop scooping your mids.

I actually don't scoop my mids
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Get your own in-ear monitoring system. Problem solved.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
200w ss head? Maybe get a monitor with an independant volume control?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Our band tried playing with unmiced amps last gig, we only put our singer through the PA. We had some major problems with feedback from the monitors which our drummer managed to solve by plugging the mic straight into a speaker of some sorts that they had lying around there. According to the audience our sound was great.
Quote by joshmckinnon
I actually don't scoop my mids

Lies.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Lies.

Bass 5 Mids 7 Treble 4

I believe that's not a scoop
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
As a sound guy. I must say that he is doing his job perfectly. And we won't respond if you tell us to turn your monitor up a thousand times. Ask nicely.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by OfCourseNot
Get your own in-ear monitoring system. Problem solved.

This would mean he would need his own mixer desk as wel, and a split from all the feeds.

Otherwise the in ear would be hooked up the same way as any other monitor, controlled by the sound technician. except it's in his ear, not on the floor.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Yeah i gotta go with everyone else here and say that if the sound guys can hear you fine, the audience probably can too. Ask for more on your own monitor, and don't start turning yourself up without them asking you to otherwise it makes their job more difficult.

I played at an open mic night where all the backline was good, but there was no monitoring, and none of the amps were mic'd up, so what you got was all the instruments turned up REALLY loud, so that it sounded ok to the audience, but when i got up and played, all i could hear was the guitar and bass (i was next to the bass amp), and no vocals. It was pretty difficult.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Unmic all cabs. Mic the drums and obviously run the keys and vocals through the monitors. Up the volume. Up the punx. Jam out.
When I used to perform my amp (200w ss 4X12) and the other guitarists were never ran through the PA. Only my vocals adn the drums were. We also had an instrument mic for aocutic guitars. this worked wll indoors, and small outdoor events. Never played anything bigger. We never had a sound guy though, so we took care of everything.
tpt