I have Cantabile Lite open with a Nick Crow 8505 amp sim plugin open. I downloaded the drivers I'm supposed to and plugged my guitar in. The manual just says to do that and then plug the thing in and start recording. No sound is coming through the speakers. I got this to work before with just an auxiliary cord, but I forget how I did it and it was plugged into a different hole so I think the settings are going to be different anyway.

What do I do?
Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Apr 26, 2013,
This just in: Sound is coming through the headphone jack on the interface
Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Apr 23, 2013,
There is sound coming through the scarlett's headphone jack and the amp sim is working, although the clean sound is still coming through at the same time as the distorted sound. It also sounds like crap. Not sure if that's just the amp sim or if something else is wrong
There should be a "Mix" knob there, just turn that all the way up and you'll get rid of all the direct monitoring from the interface and you'll just get the DAW output (which is where your amp sim monitor will be coming from)
Quote by chatterbox272
There should be a "Mix" knob there, just turn that all the way up and you'll get rid of all the direct monitoring from the interface and you'll just get the DAW output (which is where your amp sim monitor will be coming from)

Alright that stopped any unwanted clean sound. Now just to get it to come through the speakers?
Are the speakers plugged into the Scarlett or the computer? they should be plugged into the scarlett.
Quote by chatterbox272
Are the speakers plugged into the Scarlett or the computer? they should be plugged into the scarlett.

Okay... So I have a Bose sound system with two speakers and a subwoofer. There's plugs on the scarlett for the speakers which makes the sound come out of them.

For this I have to unplug them from their normal spot which makes it so I have no sound from my computer. To listen to anything I record (If I can even record this way) I would have to move the speakers from the scarlett back to my computer and then back again to play more guitar. I don't think it's meant to be that way? Shouldn't it all work together?

Also, it's quiet and I can't turn the volume up much and there's no plug for the subwoofer.
It's totally meant to be that way. If it was gonna use your PC system it'd have to route the sound through a needlessly long process which would create too much sound delay.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Actually, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. But I'll walk you through your options for fixing your problem.
1. Set the 2i4 as your default playback device. That will make everything use the 2i4 for output, so you can leave your speakers plugged into it and everything will still make sound. That's the way it should be done.
2. You can use ASIO4ALL to set the input device for your DAW to be the 2i4 and the output to be the computer's sound card. This will have a higher latency, and might be a little buggy but that's what happens when you ghetto rig things.
Quote by chatterbox272

1. Set the 2i4 as your default playback device. That will make everything use the 2i4 for output, so you can leave your speakers plugged into it and everything will still make sound. That's the way it should be done.

Yes this is what I want! I looked at my speaker system again and found a single cord that connects the entire system to my computer, so I put that into one of the big holes on the scarlett with a small-to-big adapter (Is that bad?) because there wasn't one that takes a small headphone type plug. Music and video sound and everything else all comes through the speakers now including the subwoofer.

I still have two problems.

1: The subwoofer is hardly doing anything and it makes it sound really bad with just the two little speakers. There is some bass but it's just very quiet.

2: When using my free amp sims they're very fuzzy/crackly sounding. It seems like it sounds good behind that though. Could this be because the scarlett is in the wrong usb port? There's a second one next to the headphone, mic, and line-in plugs but nothing happens when I put it there.

Thanks for the help btw. I don't know how I would figure all this sh*t out by myself
An 1/8" to 1/4" adapter won't work properly for this because the output of the scarlett is two mono jacks, whereas your speaker is after a single Stereo input. What you want is an adapter to convert the 1/8" jack to two RCA plugs (the red and white ones) and use the unbalanced outputs 1 and 2 on the rear of the scarlett (alternatively, if your 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is stereo you could use the headphone jack on the front to get a stereo out). I suspect doing that should fix the issue with the sub being useless, but otherwise that's something to do with your system and I don't have a clue.
As for the amp sims, things you should check would be 1. Do you have a cabinet sim/impulse response on it? 2. is it clipping (the meters on your track are going red)? Those two things are the source of most peoples issues with amp sims (especially free ones).
Also on the point of the sub. Very few people use Subwoofers in mixing unless you're a EDM guy that needs to know how it's gonna sound in a club setting. Also remember you're using hifi speakers for monitoring.

Which is not ideal, there's a chance it'll sound pretty lousy.

Also remember that you could just be use to having a fuq tonne of bass and it not being there now makes it sound thin on by comparison.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I put the speaker system plug into the headphone jack and it works normal now. So the one problem left is the amp sims sounding sh*tty.

Quote by chatterbox272

As for the amp sims, things you should check would be 1. Do you have a cabinet sim/impulse response on it? 2. is it clipping (the meters on your track are going red)? Those two things are the source of most peoples issues with amp sims (especially free ones).

1. I don't even know what that is

2. Adjusted those and it may have helped a little

The sims are the free ones from that thread of amp sims. They all have the same fuzzy static sound to them.
If you've not got a impulse loader with a cab loaded with the amp sim, then you'll have the unfiltered sound. Imagine listening to an amp without using a cabinet. It'd sound awful.

Download Lecab and some of the free cab sims and it should sort out your issue.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you've not got a impulse loader with a cab loaded with the amp sim, then you'll have the unfiltered sound. Imagine listening to an amp without using a cabinet. It'd sound awful.

Download Lecab and some of the free cab sims and it should sort out your issue.

Ok I got the LePou - LeCab 2 impulse loader but I don't understand what it's supposed to do. I don't see any cab downloads there. Want to explain what to do with it?
Quote by LeeAlacoque
Ok I got the LePou - LeCab 2 impulse loader but I don't understand what it's supposed to do. I don't see any cab downloads there. Want to explain what to do with it?

You have to go find impulse files online. Check out Sperimental impulses, Catharsis, GuitarHack, or whatever. There are tons of good free ones. Place them in an easy to find folder, go into LeCab, load up the file (you should be able to figure out where the directory button is), and make sure it's after the amp sim and the mix level is at 100%.
Quote by schwinginbatman
You have to go find impulse files online. Check out Sperimental impulses, Catharsis, GuitarHack, or whatever. There are tons of good free ones. Place them in an easy to find folder, go into LeCab, load up the file (you should be able to figure out where the directory button is), and make sure it's after the amp sim and the mix level is at 100%.

Are those the same thing as cabs? I got some Cartharsis impulse files. Is this all I need? I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting so far. It's not any better than my Line 6 amp.
Possible you could just be setting up wrong or something. Let's see:

Put the TSE808 in front from here: http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/software.html

Drive at 0 and volume at max

Then follow it with your head of choice: The gain should be far lower than you think it should be. If it goes over 50% then you're probably over doing it. Remember not to over scoop your mids. The more subtle the amp EQ the better

Then follow that with the cab loader. Making sure it's probably activated and the amp sims are loaded with the mix in at 100%.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Possible you could just be setting up wrong or something. Let's see:

Put the TSE808 in front from here: http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/software.html

Drive at 0 and volume at max

Then follow it with your head of choice: The gain should be far lower than you think it should be. If it goes over 50% then you're probably over doing it. Remember not to over scoop your mids. The more subtle the amp EQ the better

Then follow that with the cab loader. Making sure it's probably activated and the amp sims are loaded with the mix in at 100%.

Oh okay the TSE808 helps. I'm completely new to this so I hardly know what I'm doing. I assume you can get other effect pedals like delay?

I still have a couple minor issues. There seems to be a bit of latency because the acoustic sound from my guitar is standing out more than usual. There's also a constant static sound in the background that I can hear when I'm not doing anything. It goes away if I turn the gain off. Maybe a noise gate would fix that?