Okay, so long story short I'm gonna be throwing some EMGs in my guitar.

Overhaul post:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597591

More specifically, a "Het Set" : http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/354/148/1

I have two questions.

1. How do I set these pickups up to work like this:
1 master tone, 1 master volume, pos1 bridge, pos2 br/nk, pos 3 neck

2. Will I need extra wires to be able to use this: http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/277/291/4
To me it doesn't look like the "Het Set" comes with enough.

I could really use an expert's help. Thanks in advance!
Gear sig... 'cause you know, originality:

Jackson JS32R Dinky (w/EMG 81 and brass parts)
Ovation Applause AE128
Line 6 Spider IV 30 (Cleans are awesome!)
Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby Wah
What you're after is just the normal two pickup, master controls wiring. EMG have wiring diagrams on their site; use their solderless system to make everything much easier. If you use a 'blade' style switch, you will need to buy an extra one from EMG; the Het Set does not come with this switch and EMG sell it separately and it combines the switch and buss, saving space. If your guitar uses a 'toggle' style switch, you will need to wire this up the traditional way and use the EMG buss to attach everything else.

Again, EMG have detailed guides for all of this on their site, both in a wiring section and also on the product pages of each pickup/set/switch. Bridge-both-neck, 1 volume and 1 tone is the most basic, standard set up, you don't need to do anything special.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
you will need to buy an extra one from EMG; the Het Set does not come with this switch and EMG sell it separately and it combines the switch and buss, saving space.

So if I buy the switch (from what you're saying) I WON'T need any extra wires and I can just combine the bus and switch? I'm not so sure I understand.
Thanks though, this does help a bit more!

Ovation Applause AE128
Basically, with the EMG solderless system you have to have one point where everything meets. The power, pickup signal, pots and switch all have to join somewhere.
If you have a toggle switch (like Gibson-style guitars) then this will be a connection buss and the switch itself will need to be soldered in. The Het Set comes with this buss because it's assumed it wil be put into a Gibson-style guitar, like an Explorer or whatever.
If you have a blade switch, like Fender-style guitars have, EMG make a version which is the switch and the buss combined. This means you don't have to make room for the buss and you save a bit of wiring, since there's no need to run any wires from the switch to the buss; the switch is the buss (though it's smart to keep the buss somewhere safe, just in case you ever do need it later). EMG make a 3-way for Strat-style guitars, a 3-way for Tele-style guitars and a 5-way for Strat-style guitars. The Het Set does not come with these switches, so if you want to use one then you will need to buy one separately. Many EMG dealers carry them in stock and you can order them from the EMG website directly.

Your guitar looks like it probably would use the 3-way Strat-style switch, so buy that in addition to the Het Set and you will be able to make everything fit perfectly. The Het Set does come with all the other pots, jack and wires you need.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^That was my plan. Just making sure. Thanks for the info!

Ovation Applause AE128
You should be able to use your stock 3-way switch btw. The EMG kits come with all you need to install in just about any guitar using two HBs...otherwise they would include the switch. I used the stock switch in my Ibby and have been for years...four different sets of EMG and SD actives, including the HetSet and haven't had to replace it yet.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
^ Yes, you can use the stock switch, but then you also need to find room for the buss (as well as finding room for the battery and additional wires). It makes far more sense to use EMG's switch, which compacts everything into one unit that takes up no additional space (and requires no soldering).
Quote by MrFlibble
^ Yes, you can use the stock switch, but then you also need to find room for the buss (as well as finding room for the battery and additional wires). It makes far more sense to use EMG's switch, which compacts everything into one unit that takes up no additional space (and requires no soldering).

True, unless you're impatient and like soldering...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro