Anybody know of one?

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound and "Hot", but their DC resistance is wicked high.
"teh most gains"
Quote by mountain2012

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound and "Hot", but their DC resistance is wicked high.

That's because unlike a p90 or a humbucker they have all that wire compressed around a smaller bobbin area.

Remember DC resistance =/= output.

I own the quarter pound and have it in a couple of guitars (both are ibanez rg550s) and to me they are the closest thing to a p90 in terms of output and tone in a single coil size.

They keep up with the humbuckers i have in my Ibanez guitars in terms of output, but still have a nice bitey single coil tone.

You will love the quarter pound for strat.
The Seymour Duncan Hot Stack (note: the Hot Stack is the one with the big bar, the Hot Stack Plus is the one with six pole pieces) is the closest to P-90 tone. The resonant peak and magnet are more or les the same as used in typical P-90s and the coil windings are sufficiently overwound to lose enough treble.
Despite the huge DC, gman128 is correct, this does not necessarily indicate a large output and the Hot Stack actually has only about as much output as your standard overwound P-90 or classic humbucker; something you have to have if you want the P-90 tone, since lower output will give you a much brighter tone anyway.

I'm not saying it's isn't a higher-output pickup, because compared to a Fender pickup from the 1950s it most certainly is, but it's not like it's some heavy metal monster, either. Keep it further from the strings than you'd usually position your pickups and its output is on par with a normal P-90.

The Creamery make a 'real' P-90 in a Strat single coil-size, HERE. This is made with two bar magnets, six adjustable screw pole pieces and an overwound coil, just like a P-90. Of course, since it's a smaller size and will usually be installed at an angle or in an otherwise brighter guitar than most P-90s are put in you will still get a slightly brighter and thinner tone. But technically, that is the closest to a P-90 you can get.

Aside from those, the Quarter Pound is your best shot. It actually has about the same output as the Hot Stack, minus the added smoothness of the bar and the hum-cancelling.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Check out BG Pups - Bryan makes an S90. I'm using one as my bridge pickup. Depending on how you eq, it can sound like a traditional strat bridge pu (but without the thin tone) or it can sound very P90ish. He has clips of all his pickups for your perusal.
Last edited by J-E-M at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by MrFlibble
The Creamery make a 'real' P-90 in a Strat single coil-size, HERE. This is made with two bar magnets, six adjustable screw pole pieces and an overwound coil, just like a P-90. Of course, since it's a smaller size and will usually be installed at an angle or in an otherwise brighter guitar than most P-90s are put in you will still get a slightly brighter and thinner tone. But technically, that is the closest to a P-90 you can get.

From the Creamery site:
"Due to its design of dual bar magnets and pole screws, the tone is warmer & fatter than a standard Strat pickup."

Does this mean it's a humbucker? I'm really looking for a single coil.
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Apr 25, 2013,
No, a humbucker is dual coil. Dual magnets is what all 'actual' P-90s use. For reference, Fender-style single coils use six magnets. The magnets used by Fender are pole piece magnets, the magnet used in Gibson designs (humbucker, P-90) are bars. Hence, dual bar means normal P-90 construction. One coil.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.