Hello

I am looking to get a new distortion pedal. Currently own a boss MD2 but it is not as versatile and a bit too muddy for my current taste in music. Any recommendations on what to try? I tried a few fuzz pedals (fuzz face and a boss one) but didnt think the sound was dramatic enough, the pedals didnt look in the best of shapes though...

Budget: preferably under £150 (Sterling)
Sound: playing a lot of Paul Gilbert stuff recently so something similar

thanks in advance
captsnow
Currently using a yamaha thr10 on the clean setting

Primarily Fuzz Universe type distortion
my personal opinion is that you need a new amp to serve as a base for your distortion tone. the outside of a pedal really shouldn't affect the tone that comes out from it, there always is the chance that the internal components could have been damaged but typically in my experience it would completely cut off the sound from a pedal. A small tube amp would serve as a good replacement.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
I own a Blackstar HT-R5 but I am at uni and dont have it with me, hence the thr10.

The point is the same however that I want a pedal that gives a less muddy distortion.
the md2 is very versatile, if you ask me... the problem is it does a variety of things reasonably well, rather than excelling at anything.

it can also be a bit strong on the bass- you've turned the bottom knob down, right? I'd be running both the tone and bottom knobs below 12 o'clock, so try that if you haven't already.

for versatility use the dist and gain boost knobs as separate entities- when you want a more od-style tone turn the dist knob to 0 and use the gain knob, and vice-versa when you want a more distortion type of tone.

fwiw gilbert normally uses amp distortion maybe with a boost in front, far as i'm aware.

maybe a crunchbox or something like that? joyo does a cheapo clone if you just want to check it out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With that budget, and for something that is going to give an agreeable sound through both those amps, you should look at either the Blackstar distortion units (basically hybrid preamps in a box) or DigiTech's HardWire series (more traditional distortion, with more control options than most). Both are built very well and come in a variety of models to suit whatever sort of distortion character you want.

Just remember that distortion pedals' one and only job is to clip your signal. It is what they're trying to do all the time. This means any distortion pedal has the capability to go too far and muddy your tone. The trick is to learn where the sweet point is; where you are getting as much distortion as you want without it becoming muddy. Consider backing the gain and/or level controls on the pedal down a little bit and try lowering your pickups further from the strings so the pedal has a clearer sound to begin with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ yeah. the other thing is, don't be afraid to stack pedals. It often sounds better/more natural/more amp-like with two pedals with the drive on 2 than one pedal with the drive on 5. Or you can use an od as a boost into a distortion pedal like the way you use an od as a boost into a tube amp. It doesn't work with every possible pedal variation, but it works with a lot.

obviously that costs more money, but £150 should easily buy you two decent pedals. and with two pedals stacked you have 3 sounds at your feet (either pedal alone, and then the two stacked).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Catlinbread dirty little secrets are pretty sweet, I would check them out.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.