I have joined the ranks of amp *****s here at UG, and over the past couple years I have had the chance to get my hands on some real nice stuff, but never a decent Marshall. When I first started posting here I saw one of these, and I have wanted one ever since.

SLX 2 by bllyfen8, on Flickr

SLX by bllyfen8, on Flickr

One Marshall JCM900 SL-X!

This is one seriously sick amp. It is definitely a real fire-breather, with the preamp volume and sensitivity control on half I can get as heavy as I would ever want.

For those who aren't familiar with the amp, it is single channel, about as simple as it gets, BMT controls along with presence and two preamp gain controls, one (preamp volume) goes from 0-10, the other (sensitivity) picks up from 10-20, the latter acting like a boost to the first. It also has to footswitchable master volumes, very useful for getting the perfect amount of volume boost for a lead section.

This amp is very, very similar to a JCM800, it is pretty much a home-brewed hot rod from Marshall. As I mentioned earlier, it is definitely aimed at higher gain tones, I mainly wanted it because I am chasing the Heartwork recorded tone. It is pretty much what most people would expect from a Marshall, mids for days and a great punchy sound that knocks right through the mix.

What surprised me about this one was how much low end it put out, I am running it at 10 o'clock at the moment, any further and it gets a little too loose for those tight lead runs you need for melo-death. It doesn't have as much low end as my old Rectifier, but it definitely has more than enough to get a fat, thumping sound.

I haven't gotten too far up the dial, only to 11 o'clock so far, so I can't comment on that sweet Marshall power amp distortion, but I have some fresh power tubes coming in so after a bias I will be crankin' her up!

Overall, I am happy, I have my Marshall fix.

Clips:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/dementiacaptain/music/all/play1188142
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Apr 23, 2013,
Nice one!

HNAD!

Now you have an amp that goes to 20!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yeah, I've wanted one of those for a fair while also. Great metal amp.

HNAD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Amp *****? Not yet...

HNAD !!!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Amp *****? Not yet...

HNAD !!!

+1

I think Derek is just about the only one to have earned that title so far.

Nice score though. SLXs are fun.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
HNAD
The SL-X is pretty awesome, but I like the DSL for versatility. You would love the Laney GH series since you like the SLX.

Is that s friggin MG on top? I'll kill you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNAD
The SL-X is pretty awesome, but I like the DSL for versatility. You would love the Laney GH series since you like the SLX.

Is that s friggin MG on top? I'll kill you

Naw, it's a VS100, that was my first "real" amp Definitely not a JCM, but it kept me happy for a little while.

I was in between this and a DSL for a bit, but I really missed the simplicity of the Chadwick, and I didn't want cleans or anything for what I'm going to be using this for.

And fair enough guys, I admit I'm no Ippon or Derek, but I think it's more the spirit of amp whoring that makes you one Since I have joined here I have went through 13 different amps, and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. I know I don't compare to some of the folks, but I think I can at least call myself a student of the ways.
I was the one that recommended it to him - so yes.

HNAD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

There is at least one other person I know that has earned that title

+311
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
There is at least one other person I know that has earned that title

Almost forgot about our friend on the left coast.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Almost forgot about our friend on the left coast.

He keeps his...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Thanks guys, working on getting a clip uploaded. What's the procedure again? is it best to make an account with a hosting site or what?
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/SL-X%20Clip.mp3?w=AAAtgiD90d0SuabYbhON3amrNMTWRCGfrRV7wwArnrljZA

Let me know if there is an issue, this is the first time that I have used dropbox, so there is a possibility I screwed up.

I was playing through my 6505+ combo speaker (Screamin' Eagle) for this, I didn't adjust for the setting from the 412, so there is a severe lack of bass on the clip. Forgive the sloppiness, I'm lazy and don't practice
You need to click "get public link" or similar. As is, you're linking us to your admin version.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

HNAD! Enjoy it! A Marshall through a 4x12? Your neighbors must hate your guts by now!
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by FatalGear41
HNAD! Enjoy it! A Marshall through a 4x12? Your neighbors must hate your guts by now!

Luckily the only ones I have are related to me. It's just me and the trees out this way.
Try to right click on your song and go to 'Copy Public Link'

It will pull up a separate little window with a URL already highlighted.

Then I think you click on 'Copy to Public Folder', but you should be able to just paste that URL link into UG as it is now on your clipboard proper.
I can't seem to find anything like that..... I can share the link but that only allows me to choose email addresses... Even right clicking doesn't give me any useful options..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ozzy

It has good tone for sure. What were your settings on that again?

I can say for sure, I did a bit of tweaking afterwards, but it should be close to this:

Presence: 10 o'clock

Bass: 12 o'clock

Mids: somewhere in between 10 and 11 o'clock

Treble: similar to mids

Preamp Volume: 1 o'clock

Sensitivity: 11 o'clock

I had it boosted with my Hardwire CM-2 with the bass and treble set to be as neutral as possible, just used it to get a little extra sustain.

All this with the volume just above 9 o'clock
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Those are pretty much my Splawn's settings

I'd like to hear it unboosted.

I will probably get around to recording an unboosted clip some time, the boost is kind of just like the easy button as far as settings go
Happy new marshall day My friend I hope it lasts you many years.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Well it will probably last until I decide I need something new
nice!
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks

I actually tried this with my Rocket 50s I have and really like them, but I think I'm going to get some T75s after all to pair with them, the Rocket 50s are more or less like V30 lights, and there was just too much midrange with just those, I think the T75s will balance things out
i haven't tried the rockets but 75s are a pretty good match with v30s...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Yeah that's what I'm going on. I may eventually get some actual V30s, but I really don't mind the Rockets. They lack in the low end, but that's why I'm getting the 75s.
sounds like a plan
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by R45VT
He keeps his...

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com