I am kind of new to guitar and still figuring out tones and stuff. I've noticed from personal experience (band mates etc) and live videos from a lot of bands that I like that a lot of people use Strats for cool low gain/light OD clean tones. Are Strats/single coil guitars really good for these types of tones?

I've never owned (or really wanted to) a Strat or Tele. I have a 7-string with actives and an Agile LP with humbuckers. I love the thick clean tones of the LP and am just wondering if single coils are the way to go to get that kind of touch sensitive detail where light OD is concerned.
Single coil tones are very different, and they are really good at clean to light OD tones.
You could rewire your humbuckers on your LP so you can coil split them with a switch though, and that'll help you along on that path.
It's not the same as actual single coils, but it'll give you more options for different tones with your current guitar.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Thanks for the tip. When I was looking into pickups recently I found a few vids where people did the coil splitting thing and it does seem to get you more in that territory. Can it be done without having to drill an extra switch into it (or can you just mod the selector)?

This is a general example of the type of OD sound that I am interested in (some amps probably do this stuff better than others too... Blues Jr or Classic 30 etc)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGSrrZQPsIY
I can get that sound on my 5150 III 50W fairly easily with my strat.

Anyway...as for the coil split. You can replace one or more of your volume/tone pots with push/pull pots, and wire that to be your coil split if you want, so you wont need to drill anything.
It shouldn't be very difficult as long as your pickups have 4 wires (which is what you'll need if you want to coil split the humbuckers).
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
You can replace one or more of your volume/tone pots with push/pull pots, and wire that to be your coil split if you want, so you wont need to drill anything.
Sweet, cool idea.
The sensitivity comes with a combination of pickups and the amp. You don't want pickups that are too hot because that will compress your signal and you'll lose dynamics. The other thing you want to do is push your poweramp because it compresses harmonics so your subtleties are captured. It's just a matter of having open sounds and compressed sounds at the right parts of your chain. Humbuckers can do it.
Strats are just awesome all round guitars. You can't go wrong with one, especially for clean tones and overdriven blues tones.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

The strat definitely has a very specific tone. You can get a similar tone out of other guitars using single coil pickups, but the body shape/wood and construction of a strat is bound to give it a distinctive sound!
Quote by King Donkey
You need a strat for strat tones, not clean tones.

+inf.

Loads of guitars do a good clean tone.
Quote by King Donkey

Yep, this. Similar to an LP. They can do clean or dirty. Both very well, but differently, if you want a strat sound, gets stat, LP sound? Get an LP
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess part of my question is- given my lack of experience with many guitars- are single coils key to the sound that I am interested in exploring more?

I get great cleans out of my LP. They are on the dark and juicy side... which is generally great for the type of playing I do. Bright "spanky" funky stuff isn't really my deal. Opeth-y/ISIS type clean riffs are where I go mainly and the LP works fine for it.

I havent been able to get that "soft roar" that I seem to be hearing from Strats/single coils out of my gear though. The amp I am using is an Ibanez Thermion into Eminence Legends or G12K. They are great for the gain tones that I do and nice for the cleans. The clean channel on this amp is quite dark and rich *but* the breakup in the light range comes out a bit more coarse and gritty (with less of a touch sensitive range... it's either clean or crusty) than for example, what the chick in one of my bands gets out of her Strat/Blues Jr. These are the things and variables that I am trying to understand better.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Apr 24, 2013,
Quote by cGoEcYk
I've noticed from personal experience (band mates etc) and live videos from a lot of bands that I like that a lot of people use Strats for cool low gain/light OD clean tones. Are Strats/single coil guitars really good for these types of tones?

yes

Quote by King Donkey

also +1

strat clean tones are pretty effing sweet, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha what the hell is Ben playing in that video? A strat with a tele neck?

I find I get a good tone for Death Cab with my Tele. For those tones you don't specifically need a strat, but a fender flavoured single coil guitar, I've seen Ben use G&L Teles as well.
Quote by bigblockelectra
If you want to get sound like the first 50 seconds, then yes you need a single coil stratocaster or something similar

Thanks for this example, very helpful. Cool tone but not my flavor
Update:

For a mintue I got my hands on a regular E standard guitar (another Agile, same model that I own actually) with a 10-46 set. The guitar I normally use is in B F# B E G C with some heav strings .65 for the low B.

With the same exact amp and identical guitar settings I did some A/B testing. The E guitar was able to bring out the touch sensitive light OD stuff that I was interested in from my amp while the drop B with heavy strings had a strong "direct" tone (generally louder and cleaner) and the coarser breakup when it would break up.

In E standard I could hear a lot more of the typical "LP" style tone. It's interesting how a low tuning and strings can totally transform the tone/character of an instrument and how it causes the same exact gear to behave as well.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by King Donkey

/thread
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X