Hello mates! A few months ago I acquired a 90's Yamaha Mg-MII Tak Matsumoto signature guitar (this the link from the Yamaha archives (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/mgmii/index.html ) through a trade but just now is when I'll get to swapping the electronics, cleaning it and giving a proper setup. However, something that really got to me was how difficult is to find info that is not in asian languages regarding the guitar.

Here are some pics of the instrument:

The instrument is in very good conditions despite clearly being a players axe.

Anyhow, I would really appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on just how rare this guitar really is, cause I'm starting to think they don't exist This also makes putting a price to it really difficult.
Yep, not much on those era Yamahas, they are rare now. I got a 87 rg620s for $60 last summer they were like $600 new. Mine is a step kinda down from yours but up in some ways too.

I have the same neck joint, 24 fret 24 3/4 scale ,2 hums, 2 volume 1 tone,3 way with a upsidedown recesed jack. Rosewood fret board bound on a super slim neck with a white pearl body.

With a trem on needle bearings with a pitch rise adjuster so you can tighten the springs a lot to "deck" the trem but you can adjust the "deck" with the adjuster wheel or float it and use the adjuster to stop how far back you can pull it.

The locking nut is also 2 piece, its a Floyd style but weird.

Fantastic guitar, but the neck is too thin for me :/ So I am trying to sell it.....same problem as you. What is it worth???? All very subjective.

I doubt anybody will want to buy it so I may just end up sitting on it for a few years and give it to my youngest.
What the hell!!!
That's one big whang of an upper horn you have and your locking nut is the same as mine.

Plus for yours is its a LFR you can get parts, I cant. Then my body is junk when the trem goes out.

BTW PRETTY DAMN SWEET!

What $$$ value was the trade???
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Apr 25, 2013,
rarity has different meanings and different trains of thought. there is rare as in haven't seen too many around, but "rarity" is not synonymous with "value" nor "desirability"

its a fine looking guitar, i haven't seen one, and have seen a lot of guitars and owned at lest 60 in the last 8-9 years. never seen one. probably just an uncommon model. but likely not worth more than any other common guitar.

if the floyd is liscensed maybe i would pay $150 for it, if it is an OFR, maybe $200 if i were to guess without knowing that it is valuable.

i have a 1982 Peavey Horizon II, i bought it for $40 mint with case. they are few and far between, but i don't think i could get more than $250 out of it. it plays well and sounds good, but its just 'another' guitar. the guitars that are going to be worth something from the 1980's are the Grover Jacksons, Kramers, ibanezes, etc.

then there is another aspect to rare. i have a 1/400 run (#11) Gibson SG White Jazz, that could be rare and valuable.

good luck finding out more, pretty guitar though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a Washburn mercury mb2 bass designed by Jackson. That was a major score, traded for a pacific snare and stand.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
I have a Washburn mercury mb2 bass designed by Jackson. That was a major score, traded for a pacific snare and stand.

i used to have a few washburns, i think four. but my washburns had buzz feiten tuning systems. i made out ahead a few bucks when i got rid of them. i still have an old dime model sitting around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
But with all that said that was like a $6-900 back when it was made, to get that now your looking like $1,100-1,999 ish .

There are lots of older Asian guitars like that, that are far better than whats made today and you can get them cheap like this 89 epiphone by Gibson made by Samik superstrat that has shark tooth markers and a banana headstock that is my favorite player right now. I only paid $40 for that. .

I would just keep reading ,surfing the net ect. You might not find anything ever but you will find out about other guitars and that's cool.
What the hell!!!
There are lots of older Asian guitars like that, that are far better than whats made today

Spot on, I think I will never buy a brand new guitar again, instead I just hunt around the web looking for gems like this one. About a year ago I bought a Yamaha Yg1212, by far the best guitar I've touched in my life, for less than 200$. I ended up trading it for monetary reasons, but and now I regret it.

if the floyd is liscensed maybe i would pay $150 for it, if it is an OFR, maybe $200 if i were to guess without knowing that it is valuable

The Floyd is a licensed Yamaha design called Rockin' Magic-Pro II, it has excellent reputation, personally I don't have to much experience with FR trems so this one is perfect for me, you can even change strings just like a regular Fender trem.

i used to have a few washburns, i think four. but my washburns had buzz feiten tuning systems. i made out ahead a few bucks when i got rid of them. i still have an old dime model sitting around.

My number 1 guitar is actually this 1979 Washburn Falcon,

Ash body & maple top, 5 piece maple walnut neck-through construction, ebony fingerboard, brass nut and saddles, the thing sustains for days Only problem is the weight
Remove the cat* and save 12+ pounds.

* Maine Coon?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Google Chrome let me translate the page you linked from Japanse to English, have you tried that? I'd imagine Firefox would also have this feature, though that link doesn't tell much anyway
hahaha, unfortunately I would still have around 13 pounds of guitar to carry around.

* Maine Coon?

I'm not exactly sure what kind of cat she is, a vet student found it on the streets of a german colonial town near Caracas, Venezuela when she was a kitten and she ended up with me, so she is technically just a stray cat, but I was shocked when I saw a Maine Coon cat for the first time, they're identical!
Google Chrome let me translate the page you linked from Japanse to English, have you tried that? I'd imagine Firefox would also have this feature, though that link doesn't tell much anyway

Yeap, I know, but it doesn't really help much, the most useful info is the manufacturing years and launch price, around 75.000 yen for this one I think, roughly 750$.
Last edited by noquedandirecci at Apr 25, 2013,