Page 4 of 5
150-200k as a lawyer. And I also want to own a decent sized guitar shop. Which could bring in a decent amount of $.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by roamingbard13
Seriously -- look around. Rich people aren't happy.

I really don't think I'm going to be happy anyway so I may as well have a lot of money to distract me while I'm at it.
Don't care, as long as the work is rewarding and interesting and I can afford a few petty comforts.
Quote by roamingbard13
Teaching middle school right now and make just over 40K in the school I work at now. I also teach college part time in the evenings, and pull about 20K in for that each year. Once my wife starts to work (she is graduating with her professional degree in a few weeks), we will hopefully double our household income. That'll be plenty for me.

For what its worth, I worked in a job that had a much higher earning potential, and the money wasn't worth the agony. Seriously -- look around. Rich people aren't happy.

I dunno, I've met some pretty damn happy rich people. I'd rather live comfortably and have more time to actually live rather than work though. Too much work, not enough time to enjoy the fruits of the labour.
I would like to make over 150k a year. I like having nice things. I couldn't imagine going through my whole life making like 80k a year or something. I'd feel like I hit "living comfortably" then gave up.
80k a year is definitely more than "comfortable", unless you're supporting a couple kids.

Or if you live in a high-cost area, like an east or west coast city. Assuming you're from the US. Even then, you'd be more than comfortable.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
80k a year is definitely more than "comfortable", unless you're supporting a couple kids.

Or if you live in a high-cost area, like an east or west coast city. Assuming you're from the US. Even then, you'd be more than comfortable.

Brah. California.

And when I say living comfortably, I mean living in a worry free situation. Like I don't have to worry about getting bills paid, I own a car and a house, and I'm not living check to check. But I don't just want that. I want a BMW that I only drive on Sundays and season tickets to see the Giants. I want to find a random homeless person and take them to Hawaii to party for a week. I want to build an underwater house.

EDIT: Also, any schmuck can make 80k a year. Hell, store managers at In N Out make more than that with zero education required. I would hate to know that I could be making more running a fast food joint.
Last edited by TheChaz at Apr 28, 2013,
So your comfortably actually means luxuriously lol.

When I think comfortably, I think of my childhood. Combined income of around 50k a year between my parents who supported two kids. We always had what we needed and often got what we wanted as well.

But it's also important to note that I grew up in a small Indiana town--much, much less expensive than anywhere in California, I'm sure. Especially coastal areas.

While I don't aspire to things quite as great as an underwater house, I think I can appreciate your goals.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
So your comfortably actually means luxuriously lol.

When I think comfortably, I think of my childhood. Combined income of around 50k a year between my parents who supported two kids. We always had what we needed and often got what we wanted as well.

But it's also important to note that I grew up in a small Indiana town--much, much less expensive than anywhere in California, I'm sure. Especially coastal areas.

While I don't aspire to things quite as great as an underwater house, I think I can appreciate your goals.

Yeah, my best friend's dad makes 80k a year with three kids and they couldn't keep up even on house payments so they got foreclosed on and kicked out. They lived in a pretty small, older home too. They drove cars worth about 2000. I wouldn't be comfortable if I ever had to worry about something like that.
We never lived like that, even at 50k/year. My mom and dad always drove rather nice vehicles, and we were never in risk of losing any property.

It's funny how much location effects the value of money. Sorry that they lost their house.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Sure, maybe you can live comfortably on 50k a year in Indiana. On the other hand, you are in Indiana.
Quote by eGraham

80K is not more than comfortable. It's barely comfortable. Considering after taxes it's more like 60K. Factor in kids, mortgage, health insurance, etc...that's barely enough.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by eGraham

lol

The only reason my family isn't completely fucked is because my grandparents paid off everything years ago. My father is a financial detriment at best.

Yeah, shit's expensive. I want a couple of luxury cars, take up base jumping, have a different suit for every day of the week etc. on top of living in my stupidly expensive city.
Indiana's not that bad. What does a Canadian know about it, anyway? lol

I'm really very lucky to have grown up where I did. We had a good school system and all that.

I feel that I should point out that just because you can live on 50k doesn't mean that's what I'm aiming for. I definitely want to be better off than my family is now.

^^ You all must live in more metropolized areas. Like I said, location makes a huge difference. I know that 50k a year isn't as much in city areas, and my original post kind of assumed that one wasn't living in a city.

Quote by Xiaoxi
80K is not more than comfortable. It's barely comfortable. Considering after taxes it's more like 60K. Factor in kids, mortgage, health insurance, etc...that's barely enough.

After my dad passed away, my mom had to send my sister through college on just her salary. A little more than 30k a year. It's definitely possible. But, again, where I live is cheaper than Boston.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by eGraham
Indiana's not that bad. What does a Canadian know about it, anyway? lol

I'm really very lucky to have grown up where I did. We had a good school system and all that.

I feel that I should point out that just because you can live on 50k doesn't mean that's what I'm aiming for. I definitely want to be better off than my family is now.

^^ You all must live in more metropolized areas. Like I said, location makes a huge difference. I know that 50k a year isn't as much in city areas, and my original post kind of assumed that one wasn't living in a city.

After my dad passed away, my mom had to send my sister through college on just her salary. A little more than 30k a year. It's definitely possible. But, again, where I live is cheaper than Boston.

The school I want to go to I believe costs about 30k/year after housing and meals are included. And it's a state school. Education, why u so expensive?
Education is stupidly expensive. It's so important, yet has one of the highest entry barriers (to use an ecnomics term), just because of its cost. Where I go is only 10k or so a semester, if I remember right. That includes housing.

Even the main IU campus is only 18k a year. But these are state institutions, too. Private ones are typically much more costly.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

It depends on where I end up living (with costs of living and such)

I think I can live on comparatively little based on what I've seen in these threads. If it's just me I'm fine with a small apartment, would prefer to use public transport, and could be fine spending relatively little on food, etc. I'd like to have some money for leisure and travel but if I can't afford it oh well. I don't plan on having a large family. Assuming I get married that changes things, even more so if I had a kid (although I don't want more than one kid).

Edit: And I absolutely do not want expensive shit like private swimming pools in your backyard.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by eGraham

Sure, it's possible, but it is NOT comfortable. A lot of schools' tuition alone cost more than 30K a year. For kids who doesn't have a full scholarship or VERY significant federal aid, there's no chance for them to get the same opportunities. And what if, god forbid, something happens to anyone in your family that requires medical treatment? 1 day at a hospital costs over a grand, and that's just for stay. I don't want to even mention the C word, but even anything close to that would instantly overwhelm that 30K salary, even with decent insurance coverage.

Everyone here who lives in the US and think they'll be fine with 30-40K don't have an accurate idea of how expensive the real world is, and how dangerous it will be to live on that amount. Furthermore, the world will only get worse in almost every way for the next century or so. I'm not trying to be alarmist but this is an inevitability. People on the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder are going to be really really screwed. This is not something I really want to bring up to people, but it's one of my biggest concerns.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
And that's a good point regarding education. My only real option is community college, and hope to get a transfer scholarship. The local university costs $11,000+ a year now for local students and every other US school is at least $30,000+ a year not including boarding. I want to go to a Britfag school (which is cheaper) but that's unrealistic as well.

So basically I'm already on a downward spiral. Although I do not share Xioaxi's pessimism and am relatively confident that the people on bottom will be more screwed than they are now in the future, and think the world in general is as a whole, getting better (worldwide economic problems are a bump in the road).
I dont see how anyone would not be able to live with 60k net. That's 5k per month. Unbelievable.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I dont see how anyone would not be able to live with 60k net. That's 5k per month. Unbelievable.

I know, that's insane. I'm amazed how high these US wages can be. I'd be happy with half as much.

Come on, I could buy a new guitar very month with 5K and still make it rain all over dem bitches.
35k a year would be great for me, honestly. I don't mind living in rented housing, and with 35k a year I could easily live comfortably. Hell, I live somewhat comfortably right now making 15k a year, and I live on my own.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by Philip_pepper
I know, that's insane. I'm amazed how high these US wages can be. I'd be happy with half as much.

Come on, I could buy a new guitar very month with 5K and still make it rain all over dem bitches.

It's not so much the fact that they earn those wages (mind you: they have longer work weeks than us in Europe etc.etc.), but the fact that even though they make more, they think they can't live from it.

Just don't buy a 1million dollar house then and you'll be fine.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
If I felt inclined to do some physical labour I could easily make 100k-150k+ a year

I'd be happy with 50-70k though

I'd be alright with 10k really
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Neo Evil11
It's not so much the fact that they earn those wages (mind you: they have longer work weeks than us in Europe etc.etc.), but the fact that even though they make more, they think they can't live from it.

Just don't buy a 1million dollar house then and you'll be fine.

Speaking about houses, that's one thing I envy. House prices can vary across North America much like Europe, but North American houses are soooooo much bigger.

100,000 euros can get you a much bigger house in NA than anywhere in Europe.

There's no way you can get such a big backyard and front yard, a porch, and a basement in Europe without dishing out a lot more money.

When I moved to Canada to Scotland we went from a 6 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom and that was depressing.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Speaking about houses, that's one thing I envy. House prices can vary across North America much like Europe, but North American houses are soooooo much bigger.

100,000 euros can get you a much bigger house in NA than anywhere in Europe.

There's no way you can get such a big backyard and front yard, a porch, and a basement in Europe without dishing out a lot more money.

When I moved to Canada to Scotland we went from a 6 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom and that was depressing.

Yeah houses are pretty cheap at some places in America. Mind you, you do have 20 million dollar appartments in some places . You don't have those in Europe.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I mean it's completely possible to live with 30k here in the states. As ive said before, my parens make a combined 29k w/2 kids (we're not really kids anymore but you get the point).

But im talking complete financial security. My parents don't really have any assets, drive a 13 year old car, cant afford buying new tires for it, we don't have insurance, we NEVER go on vacations or do anything fun, I mean seriously. It's shitty. It's not "I live in Somalia" shitty, but it's not exactly the American dream
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
we NEVER go on vacations or do anything fun, I mean seriously.

What do wealthier family's do that's fun?

Holidays consisted of going to Clacton for a week and staying in a friend's caravan as a kid. Haven't been on holiday for like, 10 years or so.
Quote by willT08
What do wealthier family's do that's fun?

Holidays consisted of going to Clacton for a week and staying in a friend's caravan as a kid. Haven't been on holiday for like, 10 years or so.

not staying home and doing family things for one

probably why im not very family oriented. we never did shit when I was kid, so I don't have any of those ''omg me and my family went to x once and it was so fun!' stories.

if we were wealthy id reckon id actually go to Disney or some cool ass theme park, or to another country. something fun dammit
pinga
Also , all you Europoors are forgetting that we have to pay for health care and it's very expensive.
Quote by TheChaz
Also , all you Europoors are forgetting that we have to pay for health care and it's very expensive.

lol, we would never forget that
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Cb4rabid
not staying home and doing family things for one

probably why im not very family oriented. we never did shit when I was kid, so I don't have any of those ''omg me and my family went to x once and it was so fun!' stories.

if we were wealthy id reckon id actually go to Disney or some cool ass theme park, or to another country. something fun dammit

What the hell are these 'family things' people are supposed to do? Literally all my friends are poor af so I don't know what these things are. Maybe Phils can come in and tell us.

Going on holiday abroad? What do you wanna be, a Rockerfeller?
Quote by TheChaz

And Obama is all like "Let's do Obamacare!" and then Republicans are like "lol nah son."

And then white god-fearing Americans be all like "Presidunt's da devil!"

Quote by willT08
What the hell are these 'family things' people are supposed to do? Literally all my friends are poor af so I don't know what these things are. Maybe Phils can come in and tell us.

Going on holiday abroad? What do you wanna be, a Rockerfeller?

idk going camping which my dad has always wanted to do or go fishing or hiking or go on a road trip idfk something fun

also yeah I want to go on trips abroad the same way I want a Bentley Cont. GT. Its expensive and I know ill never get it, but I would still like it. It most def wouldn't hurt to be as rich as a Rockefeller
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Apr 28, 2013,
This conversation is interesting. From what I can tell expenses are way more stressful here in the US. We tend to earn more wages (net income, also keep in mind we tend to pay fewer taxes) but there are so many additional expenses, the two major ones being healthcare and owning a car (obviously that's in Europe too but it's impossible to survive without one here, which includes insurance, payments, and spending a fortune on gas. I'm aware gas/petrol/whatever is cheaper here but most adults I know have to drive at least twenty+ miles to work out here in big house land. Speaking of, as an Amerifag who wants to live Eurofag land, there is nothing great about having a ridiculously large house).
Quote by magnus_maximus
Your petrol is like 30% of the cost of ours. And my da has to drive over 30 miles to work every day each way.

Well that's because you live in Scotland ololo. Really though, I wasn't trying to make a gross generalisation, I was just making the point that there are several extra expenses.

I know it can get up to the equivalent of $9 dollars in Norway and such.