Hey all,

So, if you saw my other thread, I recently snagged up an old Fender bassman head! I currently have an Avatar Contemporary 4x12 w/greenbacks in it, and while it has a deep, massive sound to it that's great with my ENGL, I'm thinking of snagging up an open back 2x12 for the Fender (probably another Avatar, lol), with different, more "American" voiced speakers.

Curious about how the Eminence Swamp Thangs would sound w/an old Fender? It's my understanding that they're a big, tough speaker with a large magnet and high power handling (150 watts). Would it sound good for surf/rockabilly/classic rock and early punk type tones, or is it more suited towards modern tones? Am I after lower-wattage speakers if I want the old-school tone? Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Swamp thang has a big low end. It may not be what you are after.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Sounds like you want a G12h30/greenback type speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Sounds like you want a G12h30/greenback type speaker
I was originally considering a pair of such, but thought they might be too "British" sounding for the surf/rockabilly stuff. I get a pretty thick, aggressive tone out of greenbacks in my 4x12, but was wondering how they might end up sounding in a thinner, open-back 2x12...In the case of a 2x12, I was thinking G12H30, just cause 2-greenbacks might be pushing my luck power-wise, with a 50-watt bassman head.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Apr 24, 2013,
The g12h30 would work pretty good I think. WGS make a hi power g12h30 cone called the reaper HP and it is 50 watts and $80 new.

I have a Reaper HP and a Eminence GB128 (50 watt greenback) in a 2x12 for a 100 watt cab. I can even use my DSL100 just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The g12h30 would work pretty good I think. WGS make a hi power g12h30 cone called the reaper HP and it is 50 watts and $80 new.

I have a Reaper HP and a Eminence GB128 (50 watt greenback) in a 2x12 for a 100 watt cab. I can even use my DSL100 just fine.
Yep, I used to have a Reaper HP in another cab. Great speaker, but I personally liked it for metal and hard rock sounds myself.

What about a Cannabis Rex? I've heard that's another somewhat popular choice for vintage tones.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Swamp Thangs aren't very bright. They are a nice speaker when paired with something else, but on their own leave a little something to be desired.

Cannabis Rex is awesome. Even more awesome is a Cannabis Rex paired with a Private Jack. Such a sweet combination.
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/chicago12a.htm

i'd get one of those and match either one of these with it (depending on taste)

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/michigan12f.htm

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/texas12f.htm

that would be a great open back cab imo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae