Why is it that sometimes I hate to play the guitar and sometimes I love to play the guitar?

I know more than anything that I love listening to great music but I often find myself inspired to play and then quickly becoming uninspired after I realize how terrible I sound.

Pretty soon It's going to be my fourth year since I've started playing and I still can't finish playing one song.

The technique just isn't there.

It's strange because 2 years ago when I was uploading covers to youtube I was able to play so many songs and now I can't play anything.

My comfort level with playing the guitar has improved dramatically as well my ability to play the guitar standing up since I changed my technique but all the speed disappeared.

I just want to enjoy playing my guitar like the way I used to when I was 13 but I don't understand why I've been feeling this way lately.
You're judging yourself too harshly which is causing self esteem problems with your playing. Don't think to your self that the technique is gone, think of it more as rusty. The only way to improve is to practice well.
I've thought about what you've said and you're correct that I am a very harsh judge on myself when I'm playing.

However I feel like the need to be critical on your playing is necessary in order to become a better player.

I feel like this only happens when I don't like my tone or when I try playing something that's to hard for me.

I suppose that the only solution for me is to do my best to avoid these things while I'm practicing.
Quote by dannydawiz

Pretty soon It's going to be my fourth year since I've started playing and I still can't finish playing one song.
The trap here is, the average pop song form is (in measures) 8, 8, 8 (bridge) 8. Trouble is the 3 verse sections are all the same, so you only tend to learn 16 measures. Can you sing all (3?) verses of the "Star Spangled Banner", because normally, only the first verse and chorus is performed. Hey, if I can sing and play the first verse and the chorus of a song I figure I've got it nailed. And well, I lie to myself at least as much as the next person tells tall tales to their ego.

Quote by dannydawiz
The technique just isn't there.
This is going to provoke many different responses, but here goes anyway. I don't think you can learn technique but only trying to learn songs. Chromatics, pull off, hammer ons, bends, taps, Ithink are best practiced out of context.

Quote by dannydawiz
It's strange because 2 years ago when I was uploading covers to youtube I was able to play so many songs and now I can't play anything.
Maybe you're listening to yourself with a more critical and jaundiced ear.

Quote by dannydawiz
My comfort level with playing the guitar has improved dramatically as well my ability to play the guitar standing up since I changed my technique but all the speed disappeared.
Oh well, to much speed kills anyway, either on the highway or up the nose.

Quote by dannydawiz
I just want to enjoy playing my guitar like the way I used to when I was 13 but I don't understand why I've been feeling this way lately.
Have you doctor consider prescribing "Abilify" along with your regular anti-depressant. (I saw that on TV).

Threads such as yours come along from time to time. Every time I see one, I start to speculate about what the TS actually is trying to say, or wants us to say.

I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental, but it seems like this particular type of inquiry is motivated by self pity, and a need for attention, or, believe it or not, you may actually be suffering from clinical depression.

Consider this, it is possible that when you were playing before, you believed you were better than you actually were, and now, you might not believe you're as good as you are. The question is one of outlook and perspective, perhaps not one of mechanics.

EDIT: The fact that you emphasized, "I'm good at playing standing up", Makes me think you are looking for something that just playing the guitar doesn't give you. Play for the joy of making music, whether it takes you anywhere or not. If you don't, well that could lead to, "bipolar feelings". (which, if that's a diagnosis, is medically treatable as well).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 24, 2013,
Thank you Cranky.

I got a lot out reading your post. Specifically the final paragraphs.

I'll continue to work on it. I acknowledge that from time to time I have a tendency to make posts like these mostly out of my own self defeat.

Hearing words from you guys helps me get myself back on track.

I shall continue to let my desire to share and make music for the world and myself serve as my inspiration to keep practicing.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Apr 25, 2013,
I spent years playing and learned literally many 100's of riffs before I learned even one complete song. This is an important milestone.

Pick a song.
Learn all the parts.
Keep playing along.
Keep playing along until you can finish.

Do not play anything for an entire week, if that's how long it takes.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp