Hello, I just received a FREE electric guitar from a friend that didn't want it anymore and it hasn't been used in a few years. The guitar is a Johnson guitar. I was just wondering if anyone heard of this brand. If so, what are your thoughts on it? I know I can't complain at all because the guitar was free (she tried selling it a few times but got no buyers). I've been playing acoustic and wanted to eventually buy an electric so this has worked out for me.
I have a Johnson telecaster copy that I got at a guitar show years ago for 100$. It looks pretty damn beautiful....it has solid tone as well. The downsides would be the weight (its quite heavy!) and the neck/frets aren't the best. I still bust it out every now and then...I put a new set of pups in it last summer when I won them in a contest. For 100$ it was pretty great and so for free I'd say you got a pretty good deal!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I have a Johnson classic acoustic. It was my first guitar. My dads friend got it for me. I took all the strings off because as it sat, the neck was horribly bowwed, and it had a "steel reinforced neck", but no adjustable truss rod. Two of the plastic tuner know a busted off. The back of the body was half off, so I took it off fully and re-glued it. Now the neck will bend if you barely push on it! It's cheap. I'll restring it with some electric strings off my strat some month...lets hope the neck doesn't brake off. Gravity changes the pitch depending on how you hold it!
My dads friend who strung it, really didn't know too much about guitars, some of the strings were wound around the tuning pegs backward, and now that I think about it, I think the guitar was made for nylon strings...or thin metal. That may explain the f***** up neck...it had 13s or 14s I think.
Last edited by jma1111 at Apr 25, 2013,
So it sounds like Johnson guitars are a good beginning guitar? Like I said, I'm not complaining because it was free haha I was just curious on what other opinions were about Johnson. I'm basically a beginner still at the guitar anyway. I've only been playing for about two years with my acoustic. I plan on getting a whole work up done with the guitar (new strings, neck adjustment, etc.).
That's pretty much the deal I think it's just another copy brand which makes low end copies for beginners. Doesn't mean they can't be great!

Enjoy it man!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell