I'm starting a band (currently 2 piece acoustic versions of heavier songs which will be played in a full band once we get going). I've taken the driving force role, as I have much more experience with music and songwriting/study it at college. The singer, who is a good mate of mine has a sweet voice so I'm getting him to sing while I play guitar and do backing vocals. The difficulty arises in the fact that I write all the music and lyrics (he's not very musical). I write songs about issues and events which matter to my life, however it's obvious that he may or may not feel as strongly, if at all about the topics. I try to write in a somewhat ambiguous manner so that anyone, not just him, can relate to them. Any advice for someone in this situation? Anyone been there before? I want to be able to write about things that matters to me, but don't want to expect him to compromise how he feels. Man this has become a long post. Looks like I'll need a...

TL;DR: Singer doesn't write the lyrics, guitarist does. Anyone else had problems with sentiment or subject and how the singer might relate?
As a singer it's his job to sing the lyrics convincingly, loads of bands have songs written by other members.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Give him the lyrics and play the music, let him work out a vocal line and see what happens. Sometimes the way it's sung means more than what's said.
You should speak to the singer about it. He might not have a problem with it. Singers in cover bands sing all sorts of songs that don't necessarily reflect their feelings.