I got an Epiphone SG 310, but i'm about to play thrash in a group soon so i have to renew my whole gear. Fact is that i can't spend more than 500/600 euros for that, so i was thinking about this:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/ex-360.html

or this:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/1984-Explorer-EX.aspx

But i want to ask a thing: the fact that Gibson's explorer costs twice or more, is really due to a better quality or it's simply for the brand? I mean, spending 500-600 euros for changing from an epiphone SG to the esp or the epiphone explorer is really worth it? I'm really improving my gear or i really need to go for something better? Maybe someone who already got those guitars can help, thank you!
Last edited by Alexander Nero at Apr 25, 2013,
Does it have to be an Explorer?
The LTD is quite decent and the Epiphone probably as well, but you might do better with a different shape. There's a rather limited amount of Explorer-style guitars.

Also, do you have any preferences?
Like, does it have to be a guitar with EMGs?
What kind of necks do you like?
Do you want a trem or not? (probably not, judging by these 2 guitar)
Would you look used?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Does it have to be an Explorer?
The LTD is quite decent and the Epiphone probably as well, but you might do better with a different shape. There's a rather limited amount of Explorer-style guitars.

Also, do you have any preferences?
Like, does it have to be a guitar with EMGs?
What kind of necks do you like?
Do you want a trem or not? (probably not, judging by these 2 guitar)
Would you look used?

I already saw nearly every guitar available from every main brands and yes, i want to try an Explorer, no doubt about it.

About my preferences: yes i want to try active EMGs, about the neck i don't know since i don't know what's the difference between different kinds of neck, i want a fixed bridge FOR SURE and since my last and only guitar is used, i would like to go for a new one this time.

But apart from this, do you think it's worth buying those two?
Quote by Alexander Nero
I got an Epiphone SG 310, but i'm about to play thrash in a group soon so i have to renew my whole gear. Fact is that i can't spend more than 500/600 euros for that

First off, that's not true. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to play thrash metal on an Epiphone SG 310 and especially as you're on a 600€ budget I wouldn't start by changing the guitar. So what would I do with the money?

First off, get yourself a pickup from Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio. SD produce the SH-4 and DiMarzio have the Super Distortion, both able pickups for the job. Since you're going to play thrash chances are you'll never use a neck pickup, so if that's the case don't spend the extra cash getting one.

Second I would get a Peavy Valveking amp head. This amp can produce great tones with a bit of adjustment, regardless of what anyone else says. The trick is to connect the channels with a short cable. You can easily find a used Valveking for 300 euros or so and you're not going to get more value for the money than that.

Get yourself any cabinet that isn't the Peavy Valveking cabinet. Harley Benton make some cheap cabinets that sound good! Most likely you don't need a 412, so save yourself the cash and get a 212.

If you still have money left over you should get yourself a Boss NS-2. It's going to be your best friend in muting the feedback at high volumes.

And there we go. That's what I would do. I tend to advice people to stay away from EMG:s. I use some myself and they're not as full sounding as I'd like them to be. They even don't work with one of my amplifiers for some strange reason...

At any rate, good luck with your purchasing decisions. If you still intend to get a new guitar I'd go with the Annihilator V from Epiphone. I just like the idea of it and you're not going to spend needless cash on the brand!
Different kinds of neck profile make a massive difference to the overall feel of the guitar, mate. You'll know what I mean when you start holding different guitars. If the neck does not feel comfortable to you, then do not buy that guitar.

The LTD and Epiphone are both decent guitars with decent specs. Can you try these guitars before you buy them?

Why not go used? You can get a used Gibson Explorer (which will cream the LTD and Epiphone) for roughly your budget.
Quote by damillion

At any rate, good luck with your purchasing decisions. If you still intend to get a new guitar I'd go with the Annihilator V from Epiphone. I just like the idea of it and you're not going to spend needless cash on the brand!

As good as they seem (They're very cheap, look badass and have pretty cool specs), the Annihilation V's reportedly have problems regarding their phenolic fingerboards. Some complain that they're very soft and therefore wear out quickly. And given his budget, why not get a Gibson?

I agree with you about the amp aspect though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 25, 2013,
Used Gibson Explorer Faded would be great actually.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You might as well take a look at Jackson's current range of Kelly guitars if your looking at explorer like guitars. Also you could keep an eye out for an old second hand Ibanez Destroyer.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-GB/products/search.php?partno=2916021590

Out of the two guitars your considering I'd take ESP. The necks are not to my liking but the guitars I've played by ESP always seem to have been built very solidly.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not go used? You can get a used Gibson Explorer (which will cream the LTD and Epiphone) for roughly your budget.

As good as they seem (They're very cheap, look badass and have pretty cool specs), the Annihilation V's reportedly have problems regarding their phenolic fingerboards. Some complain that they're very soft and therefore wear out quickly. And given his budget, why not get a Gibson?

*Can of worms*
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
*Can of worms*

I'm just going by what I've heard from owners of the guitars.

I have played the Epiphone 84 Explorer before. I think they're surprisingly good for the money, the one that i held played really well and sounded good for metal. It also looks damn cool.

TS: Another guitar you might be interested in if you're going new is the Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer. It looks killer and the Gibson pickups they have are all-round very good. They have something active EMG 81/85's lack- versatility.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 25, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The LTD and Epiphone are both decent guitars with decent specs. Can you try these guitars before you buy them?

I don't know if i will be able to try them before buying, but i think i will not because the vendors here haven't them in store, and i will need to order them in case. To try them probably i need to look for a well equipped music store, which i can't find in my town, but since i live near Rome i think i can find something there.

About the used, i'm very positive towars used guitars, but i don't know how i can find a gibson explorer that i'm sure is in a good shape, you know. Where i live, music trade isn't so much developed and i found my used SG purely for a case.

About the neck, i can say i find my SG very comfortable. I usually play a Squier of a friend of mine and i haven't got the same feeling on it, it isn't as good as the SG imho. I don't know if they have different neck shapes, probably is just me. xD

Thanks again!
It's worth looking around for a Gibson Explorer. They're not exactly uncommon guitars on the used market, so you might get lucky and find one at the right price.

Good luck!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Shame that the Faded series is apparently discontinued now.
As well as the Les Paul Juniors.

My only 2 reasons I'm mad at Gibson.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Personally, I don't think Explorers are really suited to heavy metal stuff, and I own one. They are almost exclusively 24 fret, most of them have sticky lacquered necks, Gibson/Epi Explorers don't have any body contours at all, and IMO the Gibson/Epi frets are too low for my taste. It's just hard to find an Explorer that really plays fast, has a nice flat radius fretboard, and good high fret access. It's not like they're unplayable, they just don't conform to my wish list of features for that kind of music.

I'd pay anything for a 24-fret Schecter Explorer with an SLS-series neck and a Floyd. The Epiphone Prophecy Explorer comes the closest, but I've never gotten the chance to play with one. I would look into that if you really, really want an Explorer for metal.

It's my favorite guitar shape, by far, but it just sucks that the selection out there is so bad.
Quote by Not a Les Paul
Personally, I don't think Explorers are really suited to heavy metal stuff, and I own one. They are almost exclusively 24 fret, most of them have sticky lacquered necks, Gibson/Epi Explorers don't have any body contours at all, and IMO the Gibson/Epi frets are too low for my taste. It's just hard to find an Explorer that really plays fast, has a nice flat radius fretboard, and good high fret access. It's not like they're unplayable, they just don't conform to my wish list of features for that kind of music.

I'd pay anything for a 24-fret Schecter Explorer with an SLS-series neck and a Floyd. The Epiphone Prophecy Explorer comes the closest, but I've never gotten the chance to play with one. I would look into that if you really, really want an Explorer for metal.

It's my favorite guitar shape, by far, but it just sucks that the selection out there is so bad.

This post is completely pointless. It's not about what you want Not a Les Paul, it's about what TS wants.

And saying that an explorer isn't a good metal guitar because it doesn't have uber massive frets (which i don't like anyway) and 22 frets as opposed to 24 is really asinine. Just because those are your preferences doesn't mean they should be others.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 28, 2013,
Yeah go tell James Hetfield Explorers aren't good for heavy metal....

My vote goes LTD, more playable neck imo and I prefer the body shape of the LTD. I used to have an LTD EX 400 that I had to sell, it was an amazing guitar, I miss it so much.
Although recently I find myself loving Superstrats, I managed to get a Yamaha RGX 110 (old school RG clone, but with an Alder body, vintage style trem, and a bridge 'bucker) and have fallen in love with it, it even has a switch that does something to mellow out the pup for nice cleans.

Anyway I digress :p
To summarize the LTD explorer is metal as ****.
Explorers cant do metal?

Bitch please.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Explorers cant do metal?

Bitch please.

Good i was starting to think that I was the crazy one xD...
Quote by Tom 1.0
Explorers cant do metal?

Bitch please.

My thoughts exactly, buddy needs to look up Brendan Small and listen to some of that lovely metal that was done on an Explorer with EMGs. I am not even a huge fan of metal anymore but his music is just so damn good, when I think of metal I think Explorer, I mean that viking dude from Amon Amarth uses an Explorer!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by Alexander Nero
Good i was starting to think that I was the crazy one xD...

We're all a little crazy here....
Both of those guitars would be solid choices for metal. I haven't played the ESP version, but I used to own a Gibson. You could possibly score a used Gibson if you're willing to spend a bit of time hunting down a good deal on one.

I will also chime in though, that there's no reason you couldn't play thrash metal on your SG. The SG still has thick, chunky tone, but with superior upper fret access if you're gonna be playing a lot of lead. No doubt that explorers look awesome and all, but I don't think you need a new axe to get the sound you're after, especially if you need to rebuild your entire rig on a budget. Throw a hot bridge humbucker into that SG, and plug it into a high gain amp, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff

So few people will actually get this ^
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,