I'm using SONAR 8 Producer Edition, and my cpu is a dual-core at 2.6ghz. I can barely record 4 tracks, including drums and bass.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is my computer just too slow for decent recording?
I've got dual core 2.66 in my mac, have been able to record more. How much RAM do you have?
3gb of RAM. Also, I'm running Windows 7 32-bit.

My interface is a M-Audio Fast Track USB.
How much of your system resources are in use when you launch SONAR? Do you keep a lot of programs running in the background? It'll eat up a ton of resources fast.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
When you run a project on SONAR, open Task Manager, go to Processes, and sort first by Memory, then CPU. See if anything sticks out (other than SONAR). If nothing does, scan for viruses or malware.
I run just SONAR, and I also set the priority to high, and I made sure the affinity is on both cores.
Quote by rokashi
I run just SONAR, and I also set the priority to high, and I made sure the affinity is on both cores.

Even if you think you don't have anything running, there are guaranteed to be tons of background processes. Try opening Task Manager right after starting up, and checking the processes.
Alright. Also, is SONAR a resource hog? Or is this purely operator problems?
Its a mix of both. Pretty much every DAW requires a ton of resources (especially when you start adding plugins). Tracking with unneeded plugins is always a good idea.

On your PC end, run a spyware scan & virus scan (just because you don't go to sketchy sites doesn't mean you aren't going to get them). Also, a disc defrag is always a good idea. If you do both these above & things are still slow, you could try disabling some OS services that just use up resources. Of course, that is at your own risk & definitely can screw up your computer if you do something wrong.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yeah, I've disabled some services. Also the computer I record on isn't connected to the internet. I guess it's possible for something I transfer on to it to be infected. I haven't defraged in a really long time (never bothered).
It's really best to have a dedicated PC for recording. I don't have any of the links handy, but you can Google "setting up a PC for recording" or "setting up a PC as a DAW." One of those should yield pages on which services to disable and settings to change, to make your PC faster and better for use as a DAW. Do you have an anti-virus program running, or malware software?

FWIW, I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad @2.66 GHz with 3 Gb of RAM and I can record/playback 16 tracks at once without any hesitation. The PC has Vista on it, but it has been optimized for use as a DAW.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm running Studio One 2 Producer. Also using a Presonus 16.4.2 StudioLive with firewire.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Apr 25, 2013,
Actually, no I don't have AV or AM on it. Since it isn't connected to the internet, I never saw the need for it
Also, I'm using ASIO4ALL 2.11 BETA 1. Is the fact that it's beta causing a problem? Would using 2.10 be better?
Quote by rokashi
Also, I'm using ASIO4ALL 2.11 BETA 1. Is the fact that it's beta causing a problem? Would using 2.10 be better?

That's not a bad question to ask, but minor version numbers shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Try running a scan anyway. A good virus can spread through other vectors than the Internet, like flash drives or synced phones.
If there's a newer version - one that's not a BETA, I'd certainly download and install it.
2.6GHz dual-core and 3GB RAM is way more than enough.
I recorded a festival last month (16 simultaneous tracks of 24-bit/48000kHz for a whole day) with an old 2.2GHz AMD Phenom I with 2GB of RAM and it was fine.

I suspect it's your ASIO driver configuration at fault. Play with the advanced settings and see what happens. I found that ticking the 44,100>48 box can help on some cards.
Quote by KG6_Steven

FWIW, I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad @2.66 GHz with 3 Gb of RAM and I can record/playback 16 tracks at once without any hesitation. The PC has Vista on it, but it has been optimized for use as a DAW.

I'm running something very similar - Athlon X2 Windsor (dunno... about 2.5ghz?) with 4GB of RAM (in 32 bit mode, only 3.25GB is usable anyways) and Win7. I can record 16 tracks of audio at once. I can play back upwards to 40. All at 24/44.1.

My last band recorded our album with an even older machine - a Celeron 1.7Ghz with 1GB of RAM running WinXP. Each song was upwards to 36 tracks of 24/44.1 audio. Each project running effects, etc. as required. It was workin', to be sure, but it did it.

I'm wondering what, exactly, you mean when you say, "I can barely record." What happens? Does it start dropping significant parts of your audio, or does it start to crackle and pop and stuff? If it is the latter, it could just be your buffer settings. The lower the buffer is set, the less latency you will have, but the trade-off is that the fewer tracks you'll be able to play/record. Increasing the buffers has the opposite result.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.