Since a couple of months I am looking for a practical device to record and help me in my training. I was on a budget and I almost bought the Tascam GB-10. The reason I didn't was that I got injured and could't play. Fortunate enough the budget is way bigger now, but I didn't find my device yet. Each one I've looked at isn't perfect.

What I will use it for:

It should be a really practical device. Plug in my guitar, put on my headphones and start playing. I should be able to record myself, preferably multitrack. it should be able to loop (A-B repeat will do the job) and it should be able to play variable speed without changing the pitch. It also should include some effects so I don't have to connect it to my amp. It also should included some option to create my own song, the end mixing will be done by PC.

It really should be a practical device used for improvising over loops, slow down songs and lick, train timing by metronome, create some songs.

Overview requirements:
- Recording
- Loopfunction (A-B repeat)
- Variable speed without pitch change
- Some built-in effects
- USB-connectivity
- Budget = around €350-€400 = $450-$520

I've looked at a ton of devices already.

- The Boss JS-10 looks awesome, but isn't a MTR.
- Boss BR-80 is a little hard to work with. The menu's etc. are not as practical
- Zoom R8. Doesn't seem to be able to slow down loaded songs, only songs/loops played by yourself
- Zoom H4N.
- A bunch more

What is your pick in this price range and why?
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Apr 25, 2013,
The JS10, like you said, isn't a multitracker so you can rule that one out.
The BR80 is only a very basic tool, so personally I'd rule that one out as well - I doubt it can do what you're after anyway.
The H4N doesn't really do any of what you're looking for. That's not what it's for.

The R8 would be closest to what you're after, it's a good multitracker that can be used either on it's own or with a PC, it has a built in drum machine which is always useful and lots of effects you can use when recording guitar & vocals. It does the A-B looping of recorded tracks, but as I said in the interfaces sticky you'd have to read the manual to know for sure if it can slow down pre-recorded songs that you've loaded up to it.

However, if you read between the lines of it's basic functionality....
  • it can slow down tracks you've recorded
  • you can import .wav files to it

Therefore in theory if you were to:
  • convert the songs you want to load up & slow down into .wav format
  • import them to a track on the R8

It should treat them exactly the same as a track you've recorded - meaning you would be able to slow them down & set up A-B looping of a certain section.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The JS10, like you said, isn't a multitracker so you can rule that one out.
The BR80 is only a very basic tool, so personally I'd rule that one out as well - I doubt it can do what you're after anyway.
The H4N doesn't really do any of what you're looking for. That's not what it's for.

The R8 would be closest to what you're after, it's a good multitracker that can be used either on it's own or with a PC, it has a built in drum machine which is always useful and lots of effects you can use when recording guitar & vocals. It does the A-B looping of recorded tracks, but as I said in the interfaces sticky you'd have to read the manual to know for sure if it can slow down pre-recorded songs that you've loaded up to it.

However, if you read between the lines of it's basic functionality....
  • it can slow down tracks you've recorded
  • you can import .wav files to it

Therefore in theory if you were to:
  • convert the songs you want to load up & slow down into .wav format
  • import them to a track on the R8

It should treat them exactly the same as a track you've recorded - meaning you would be able to slow them down & set up A-B looping of a certain section.

Thanks for your in depth answer, it really appriciate it. The 'problem' indeed is that it in essence only is capable of slowing down and speeding up songs that you've recorded.

Your solution sounds sufficient! I'm a bit of a recording noob, so just for my understanding: By 'import them on a track on the R8' you mean one of the 8 available tracks? Because I will not practice 10 songs at the same time, that will work...

That could turn thisone into a winner. Any other devices that are worth a consideration? Thanks a lot!
Quote by GuitarL91
The Boss BR 800 is a possible buy

The only comment I have on that (or the 12/16 track versions) is what I said in the sticky:
Boss's multitrack DAWs are high spec, all include a drum machine & bass sequencer and receive excellent reviews. However, I have no personal experience of them due to the price - they are around double the price of the equivalent equipment from other manufacturers, none of the research I've ever done has justified this.

If you can afford that, you can afford the Zoom R24. The trick with using a multitracker as your DAW is to get as many tracks as you can afford. You may not think you need many, but it's amazing how quickly you can use them up once you start getting creative.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The only comment I have on that (or the 12/16 track versions) is what I said in the sticky:

If you can afford that, you can afford the Zoom R24. The trick with using a multitracker as your DAW is to get as many tracks as you can afford. You may not think you need many, but it's amazing how quickly you can use them up once you start getting creative.

Thanks man!
Though at the same time, it can mean you get very creative with your mixing. If you only have x many tracks it forces you to think a little more.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Though at the same time, it can mean you get very creative with your mixing. If you only have x many tracks it forces you to think a little more.

Well the main point is that it has to be practical, like plug in and play. A whole bunch of tracks are nice tho, but if I have to do some consessions, doing it on the number of tracks is ok with me
However, when it is better to use 2 different device, 1 for recording and 1 for practising, it is definetely worth the consideration!
Have fun with it
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud