I was wondering what peoples opinions on the performance on the Edge Zero bridges are. I've been looking to buy an Ibanez RG for a while but heard alot of mixed reviews about the bridges involving tuning stability. I will obviously try these guitars before I buy anything but if its not worth while il have the chance to look for another guitar before I go to the shop

Thanks in advance

The Two Guitars Im interested in if it helps

Ibanez RG2570Z-MCR Mediterranean Coral Reef
Ibanez RG870QMZ Premium Series HVV High Voltage Violet
Last edited by dave campsalot at Apr 25, 2013,
The only bad Ibanez tremolo I've come by is the Edge 3. But that's only playing other people's, never owned an Ibanez myself.
From experience the line of the high end ibanez edge bridges(On prestige and j custom) goes like so

Ibanez Edge and lo Pro (1987), Ibanez's licensed Floyd Rose
Ibanez Edge Pro (2001-2010), total redesign to rid of the use of floyd rose licensing. Allowed strings to be used without cutting off ball ends, replaceable knife edges, screw in trem arm
Ibanez Edge Zero (2009-Current) More traditional Floyd Rose-esque bridge: no more replaceable edges, and removed ball end functionallity. Low profile, pop in arm, and a little allen tool for intonating. Zero Point system.

From personal experience: Far superior base plate compared to pro in terms like thickness. overall heavier than the edge pro. The edge zero essentially got rid of non-essential funtionallity to boost build quality.

In the end, there are the lower end bridges such as the edge zero 2 which sport thinner baseplates and feel less structurally sturdy. The edge zero ii doesn't have rounded saddles and such.

Just my experience
???
Last edited by solidrane at Apr 25, 2013,
The Edge Zero is a pretty good trem. A little different from the typical Floyd Rose copy that you would usually get, but it's still good. I wouldn't hesitate getting a guitar with one at all.

That being said, I still prefer the Edge and Lo-Pro Edge over the Edge Zero. I just like the feel a bit better, and the fact that I can install a brass sustain block and a Tremol-No which you can't do with the Edge Zero.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I too have had an edge 3. Wasn't the most reliable tuning wise, which is why it was sold.

I quite like the high voltage finish
The Lo Pro, Edge, and Edge Pro are made by Gotoh. I believe the Edge Zero is made by Ibanez in China, the same place where they make the ZR. The EZ is essentially a ZR with a knife edge, or at least he EZ II is(I'm not sure about the original).
The premium had the Edge II.

That's a difference bridge and is inferior to that on the 2570.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I HATE my Edge trem, doesn't stay in tune what so ever.
GEAR

Ibanez RG350EX
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt
Korg CA-40 Chromatic Tuner
Fender 351 Medium Guitar Picks
I've got an RG3550, which has the Edge Zero. Personally I love it, stays in tune really well. Of course if you're going absolutely nuts with it it'll go out, but using it tastefully you it should stay in tune with no problem. I don't use the stop bar thing, but it's a neat feature and has its uses.

I don't have too much experience with other trems but I'd definitely recommend it.
Quote by solidrane
From experience the line of the high end ibanez edge bridges(On prestige and j custom) goes like so

Ibanez Edge and lo Pro (1987), Ibanez's licensed Floyd Rose
Ibanez Edge Pro (2001-2010), total redesign to rid of the use of floyd rose licensing. Allowed strings to be used without cutting off ball ends, replaceable knife edges, screw in trem arm

Just my experience

The Lo-Pro has replaceable knife edges, also the Edge Pro does not have a screw in trem arm but uses the same trem arm as the Lo-Pro (the pop in type).
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 25, 2013,
I love my Edge Zero. It's my personal favorite bridge. It doesn't have the normal disadvantages of Floyds and it stays in tune perfectly. I don't know about the Edge Zero 2 though.
I'm going a set-up for a guy's Ibanez with the Edge Zero tomorrow. I'll let you know my opinions afterwards.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I have an Ibanez RG2570Z. The Edge Zero is a very reliable, sturdy bridge. If it's good enough for Herman Li's Ibanez EGEN18 with Edge-Zero bridge w/ZPS3 - it's sure good enough for me! :P We've all heard & possibly read all manner of scare stories about this bridge & that bridge... but, if that's the case - don't buy the guitar. Buy a strat, instead? Or - find an instrument with a genuine Floyd Rose.