i have an old 3-pickup Kay Swingmaster with the three "kleenex" pickups and a 4-way switch with volume and tone controls for each pickup. when playing through an amp, there is a very loud hum. at 3 or 4 on the volume knob, the hum is louder than speaking volume. it's a low-frequency hum that disappears when i stand in a very specific position in relation to the amp.

what's the deal? is the guitar grounded improperly? or are these pickups inherently noisy?
Have you cleaned the switch, pots, and input jack with Deoxit/Electronic-contact cleaner?

And without good pic's it is anybodys guess what the wiring looks like
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
actually i replaced the pots, caps, and jack. the only thing i did not replace was the switch. the hum was present before i did anything, and remained after i swapped the parts. i can't seem to find an original wiring diagram online. i don't really care for the "all on" 4th position of the rotary switch, so i'm considering moving to an LP-style 3-way switch.
Did you use insulated wire when replacing the pots? If not, that will cause a hum. Improper grounding at the tailpiece will too.
Good luck.
the ground wire connecting the 6 pots is not insulated. it has what seems like a pretty crude grounding - a thick piece of bare solid core wire in a U-shape connected to the back of each of the 6 pots, then touching a solder terminal, which is connected to the output jack (that wire is insulated)
Also have you shealded the cavity with copper tape or conductive paint? also shield the back of the pick-guard if there is one.

I'm going to guess this guitar has single coil pickups and you are getting 60 cycle hum
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i have not experimented with copper shielding. the pickups are high output single coils, on par with P90's. this is the guitar:

I can't for the life of me find a wiring diagram with 3 pickups and a 4-way rotary switch
Shield all the cavities for sure. I was having issues with hum on some p90s I just installed last night. It's been a while since I've had anything passive in a guitar, so the noise was shocking. But shielding cleared the problem right up. I got mine from StewMac a while back. They sell the stuff by the roll for like $20, if you can't find it locally that is, I've shielded two guitars and still probably have enough for 5-6 more at least. Good stuff to have around.