I'm having some problems creating music. I get song structure, I hear the parts in other songs, I can play them. When I wright, I get stuck. Mostly I think I write songs in a 90's style alternative rock with touch of grunge. I hammer out a pleasing chorus riff or verse riff, I feel it wanting to go somewhere but I can't complete it.

I even got an app that let's me put in chords and tells me what's compatibe theoretically.here's an example of my latest riff... Strumming in parenthisis

Aadd11/D (d,d) Asus4/D (d,u,d) E7no3/D (d,d) Asus4/D (d,u,d) repeat
Is English your first language? You sound kind of... not quite there in the grammar department.
First and only language. I give half a shit if grammatically krect fer the matter. I don't see why it matters. My post is clear enough. This is my riff. I'm stuck. Any suggestions. If I needed grammer help I wouldn't damn ask for it here.
Quote by highgear
First and only language. I give half a shit if grammatically krect fer the matter. I don't see why it matters. My post is clear enough. This is my riff. I'm stuck. Any suggestions. If I needed grammar help I wouldn't damn ask for it here.

If your grammar is poor enough to distract from the content of your post, get your shit together. Writing is the primary means of communication on a forum, and grammar facilitates that. Even though there is no teacher with a red pen to mark you down, know that in the real world, people still mark you down for bad grammar.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Apr 26, 2013,
Wtfe. Guess I will have to put in some effort on grammar so 'hooked on phonics' can sound it out.

Back to the point. I'd like some creative input on where to take this riff...

e:00-000-00-000
B:22-333-55-333
G:22-222-44-222
D:00-000-00-000

I have also messed with tuning. tried CGCFAD.
We can't tell you what you want to do with it. You need to come up with something by yourself because it's your song and we don't really know what you are after.

Add other instruments and it makes it sound a lot better. Guitar only usually sounds pretty empty.

You could try to analyze your favorite songs and see what they do in their songs. Also analyze your riff. The next part should have something in common with the riff so that it doesn't sound really out of place.

And don't be such an asshole. People are trying to help you and you won't get any help if you act like that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Suggestion #1:

Remove the G and H from "writing".

I think you will find this to be a small but crucial step in your path to become Beethoven 2.0

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 26, 2013,
wow only on UG would everybody derail the topic to be about grammar then talk shit at the TS haha

TS, shelf the song. if it's on guitarpro this is a really easy step - just save it in a WIP folder and come back to it whenever you feel inspired. work on a new song, learn some new music.

maybe you'll feel like a challenge one day and figure out where to take your song, maybe you'll be humming in the shower and be able to finish, maybe it'll be shelved for a year and end up being enveloped in another piece you're working on. it's just the nature of the beast.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
TS's chord progression is pretty much a I-V7-I. You could easily use that chord progression for the basis of a verse or a chorus. Trying singing over it, and add some instruments around it.
We're all alright!
Quote by highgear

I even got an app that let's me put in chords and tells me what's compatibe theoretically.here's an example of my latest riff... Strumming in parenthisis

Aadd11/D (d,d) Asus4/D (d,u,d) E7no3/D (d,d) Asus4/D (d,u,d) repeat

Nobody else can write your music for you.

What you need to do is play your riff a few times, then listen to the silence that follows. Be patient. Play it again, then listen.

What do you WANT to hear?

Only AFTER you've heard, in your head, the sound that you want to hear do you try to find it on your guitar. Don't worry about theory. Just listen for what you want to hear.

If this is very hard for you, you probably need to develop your ear.
I did some session work for a girl who spent quite a bit of money recording her first EP. Unfortunately she wrote the lyrics in the in-sleeve herself and they were riddled with untinentional double meanings and hilarious lines due to incorrect and mispelled words.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud