(I feel I can sneak this in here because many have pickups and are technically electric guitars.)

I'm window shopping for arch-top acoustics either with or without a neck pickup. I'd be attempting to play jazz-ish, classical-ish and chordy folk/acoustic songs on it. Having/not having a cutaway isn't a big deal.

I'd most likely be playing it 50/50 amped-up/unplugged, but buying a mic and micing the guitar would work as well. I would also be using it as my main acoustic guitar. I'm unsure as to how detrimental pickups are to the "natural" sound of an arch-top, and whether or not I should look at ones with or without a pickup.

My budget would be around $1000, preferably lower of course. Most likely I would be buying new as the closest city centre is 5 hours away and is fairly small itself. And shipping an arch-top just seems like a bad idea.

My closest stores would be either in Winnipeg, or Saskatoon, Canada.

I was looking at the Godin 5th Avenue arch-tops, and have heard good things in the forums here, but I'm not too sure on the construction with regards to the price-point. I know Epiphone makes arch-tops as well, but I'm looking more on the acoustic side as opposed to the more electric side, if that makes sense. Being a Canadian brand, thats a plus as well.

Are there any other brands or guitars you guys would recommend?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The Godins look pretty good to my eye, at least as good as comperably priced Epiphones and Ibanez Artcores- which are also worth looking at, of course.
http://godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpincwp.htm

The Hagstroms have been getting some praise lately.

The bigger-bodied Gretsch Electromatics might also be worth your time. At the very least, they'll deliver more acoustic sound than most of the Epis & Ibbys.

Now, they're not archtops, but instruments like the Godin A6 might be more what you need, since they'll deliver an acoustic or electric tone at the flip of a switch.
http://godinguitars.com/godina6ultrap.htm

You might also want to look at Carvin acoustic-electrics and hollowbodies, though they start about $160 above your stated price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 26, 2013,
I appreciate the suggestions, but as for the A6, its not quite what I'm going for. I want a natural acoustic sound. The electric part isn't as big of a deal to me.

...if that makes sense.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yeah- paradoxically, the A6 probably delivers a better acoustic sound plugged in than unplugged!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

There is a luthier in the Chicago area named Jon Kammerer. His standard designs start @$1000.

I have several of his guitars, including a thinline acoustic and 2 hollow body electrics. They are not what you'd call typical- especially since they're built with parabolic curves to improve acoustics- but they might do what you want better than some of the others.

The reason I say this is because:

1) they will have better acoustic projection than most of the others except maybe the Gretsches or the Godins.

2) they will have more pickup options.

He does have a website- under re-construction after some malware screwed him over- but he can be reached via Facebook.

Doublecut hollowbody

Singlecut hollowbody

Thinline Acoustic

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 26, 2013,
My local shop has a Kingpin. I'd recommend it if you were looking for that style.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
My local shop has a Kingpin. I'd recommend it if you were looking for that style.

What do think of the construction of the Godin arch-tops? I guess I couldn't get an actual top that was carved from a solid piece of wood at my price-point, but "Laminate" just doesn't sound great on paper.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I've played the Ibbys, Epis & Gretshes in the price range, and none of them sound like an acoustic unplugged. They're not built to sound like that- they're meant to be plugged in.

But they'll still sound OK.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've played the Ibbys, Epis & Gretshes in the price range, and none of them sound like an acoustic unplugged. They're not built to sound like that- they're meant to be plugged in.

But they'll still sound OK.

Were those jazz-boxes though? Or were they semi-hollows?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Semis.

But even those hollowbody Jon Kammerers I posted don't sound like acoustics, either. Fuller and richer than semis, yes, but still not in the same category as a true acoustic.

You have to spend a pretty penny before you get jazz boxes/hollowbodies that can match an acoustic's tones. A large part of that is just the depth of the body. A typical Gretsch is pretty deep for an electric, but its still at least an inch shallower than a true acoustic. Curvature helps, but isn't a perfect solution.

This is one of the ones I was looking at in particular: http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuep.htm

or maybe even possibly this: http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuecomposerp.htm

But if I was to actually buy one, I think I would get the Kingpin with the P90: http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

My only concern is what effect the pickup would have on the overall acoustic sound of the guitar.

Also, the guitar is 3 inches deep, so I would assume that you should be able to get a decent acoustic sound from the instrument.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by AWACS
What do think of the construction of the Godin arch-tops? I guess I couldn't get an actual top that was carved from a solid piece of wood at my price-point, but "Laminate" just doesn't sound great on paper.

My "Laminate" Taylor sounds great in person.

I think Greg has the same 214ce that I do. Ask him.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No lie, the pickup will affect the acoustic tone. So will the depth. And the different bracing needed to support the electronics. Etc.

A 3" deep hollowbody will sound kind of like a muted thinline. It simply won't resonate or project like an acoustic. But you should get something listenable, at least for practice or a VERY intimate acoustic performance. And by that, I mean some buddies sitting around on your sofa sectional. My JKGs can fill a middling room with sound, but it doesn't have that ringing tone you associate with even a thinline acoustic.

My thinline acoustic can be heard throughout my house if I really play vigorously; my hollowbodies can't match it.

Thinking deeper- part of this is also due to the strings. Light acoustic strings are heavier than light or even some sets of medium heavy electric string sets. More mass, more sustain, more energy.

If you're gigging for $$$, you'll do 100% better plugging in.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 28, 2013,
I guess I'll just have to try em out whenever I can go down and go guitar shopping. Thanks guys.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Hay, good luck and happy hunting!

And if you find something better than we've suggested, spread the word!

Well, I've been making some cash, so most likely there'll be a NGD up by the end of summer or so.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There is a luthier in the Chicago area named Jon Kammerer. His standard designs start @$1000.

I have several of his guitars, including a thinline acoustic and 2 hollow body electrics. They are not what you'd call typical- especially since they're built with parabolic curves to improve acoustics- but they might do what you want better than some of the others.

The reason I say this is because:

1) they will have better acoustic projection than most of the others except maybe the Gretsches or the Godins.

2) they will have more pickup options.

He does have a website- under re-construction after some malware screwed him over- but he can be reached via Facebook.

Doublecut hollowbody

Singlecut hollowbody

Thinline Acoustic

Those are so weird, but so sexy at the same time.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.