Page 1 of 2
I have been thinking with steadily improving amp modelling and bigger faster computers its only a matter of time before our beloved friends with knobies become obsolete. I give it ten years before the amp and pedal is obsolete. So GG&A how long do you think it will take?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Oh for gods sake not this again...
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
They'll never become obsolete because most players don't like going direct. They'll likely be using guitar cabinets for their physical characteristics. If you're playing through a guitar cabinet, a regular amp isn't that much of a stretch. And why get a modeler when you can have the real thing? Most touring musicians who use an Axe-FX don't even use a lot of amp models. They normally have one basic dirty sound and one basic clean sound. Other patches are just variations of those. They would be fine with 1 or 2 amps. The main advantage of modelling is easy routing of amps and effects.
When was the last time this thread was made? I was saying ten years because either they will surpass tube amps, tastes will change or the electric guitar dies as an instrument due to rappers and Dj's dropping the bass.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
When was the last time this thread was made? I was saying ten years because either they will surpass tube amps, tastes will change or the electric guitar dies as an instrument due to rappers and Dj's dropping the bass.

electric guitar survived through disco. i highly doubt it's going to go extinct as a result of shitstep.
Quote by losing battle

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1594861&page=1&pp=20

Also, I don't think people will stop playing the guitar. People don't only play guitar to sell lots of records, they play it because it's fun. Even if all new music was electronic, people would still play the guitar for fun. It's fun to jam with a band. And that can't be done with computers. Same with classical music: People still play it even though you can model an orchestra with a computer. It's fun to play an instrument.

And as somebody said, many times people only use a couple of amp models. They really don't need the 100 other amp models because they just find two or three that sound the best. And that's basically the same as buying the real thing. AxeFX costs what? $2000? For the same price (or less) you can get the real thing it models. Though multi FX is really useful for people who need lots of different sounds. But for example I don't need that many sounds. I like my amp's distortion and clean channel and that's all I need. So no, I don't think non-digital amps will completely be replaced by digital stuff.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hey you remember that thing called the violin? Of course you do.

Hey you remember that thing called the piano? Oh yeah, that still exists.

It's not like, hey, new genres of music, SAY GOODBYE TO ALL THE OTHER STUFF LOLZ. We still have orchestras, we still have big bands, we still have rock bands and we have new bands too.

Use modelling, don't use modelling, who cares? Shut up.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
An alpha male with a cool guitar, an amp cranked to 11 and a rebel image is essentially integral to the nature and spirit of rock music. So long as there is rock music, there'll always be amps.

Which looks more rock n roll? Reaching over and cranking an amp to 11... or clicking on a mouse?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by ragingkitty
An alpha male with a cool guitar, an amp cranked to 11 and a rebel image is essentially integral to the nature and spirit of rock music. So long as there is rock music, there'll always be amps.

Which looks more rock n roll? Reaching over and cranking an amp to 11... or clicking on a mouse?

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt

Perception! Its all about the perception I'm sure the dude thinks he's an alpha male
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by losing battle
I have been thinking with steadily improving amp modelling and bigger faster computers its only a matter of time before our beloved friends with knobies become obsolete. I give it ten years before the amp and pedal is obsolete. So GG&A how long do you think it will take?

They will never become "obsolete" per say, it's not like in 10 years you will see the shelves of antique stores lined with guitar gear. I think the technology that goes into building amps and pedals (including developments in analog electronics) will make things that maybe we are used to today seem obsolete. It's always been really progressive.
You guys aren't even thinking of the possibility that we might blow ourselves up before we reach 10 years so it could be meaningless altogether..
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
You guys aren't even thinking of the possibility that we might blow ourselves before we reach 10 years so it could be meaningless altogether..

speak for yourself...
Quote by NakedInTheRain
speak for yourself...

You had one job Adam....
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Genuinely, I think a naturally driven tube amp is significantly better than modelling software. I use both and the dynamics are, as far as I'm concerned significantly better with the real deal. I don't think modelling software with ever be able to capture it.

In saying that - I do enjoy using Guitar Rig e.t.c. because it's nice to have a large amount of tones and choices at your finger tips that are to a high standard.

Also, imagine Slash playing Sweet Child of Mine and 15 seconds into the intro he gets a windows error message pop up or his ASIO for all drivers crash and some nerdy IT technician comes out and starts re-booting his laptop. Not very rock and roll.

ALSO! People chase a lot of vintage tones and there is no convincing some gear heads that modelling is as good as an original 1962 Marshall Bluesbreaker. I'm probably one of those people.
Last edited by PanamaJack666 at Apr 26, 2013,
Pedals will become useless? Pshh, it's not as if anyone would actually want to change their sound on the fly.
Silverburst
Never. We still have vinyls as well. And that's not because the sound quality would be better.
Same thing with amps, even if the digital modelling stuff would be way more advanced and technically better, they still won't be the same thing, and that's why the amp will survive.

On a side note, I've never heard a modelling amplifier that would sound exactly like the real deal. It always has that little bit of digital sound to it.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
electric guitar survived through disco. i highly doubt it's going to go extinct as a result of shitstep.
+ a very large number.

As far as amps go, some of us are experienced enough to know that you shouldn't trust foldback as your only means of hearing yourself play. I'm not putting my foldback soley into the hands of the sound guy, no matter how good an FX unit I have or what makes it tick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by henrihell
Never. We still have vinyls as well. And that's not because the sound quality would be better.

RECORDS
The better question is when will this thread topic be obsolete.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
The better question is when will this thread topic be obsolete.

It was obsolete before it was even created.

Or is that just Apple?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
When the Earth is destroyed.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

I don't think they will ever become obsolete because people will always want to use them, but with things like the AxeFX and some of the amp simulators sounding so good and getting better I can see people switching over to digital stuff sometime in the future just because of convenience.

Tube amps and pedals are awesome, but they can be a pain in the ass to maintain when tunes burn out or switches wear out. When you can get the same (or really close) sound out of a digital unit that doesn't have to be maintained, why would you bother with anything else?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
April 31st
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
April 31st

My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Maineguitarist

You seem confused? Why would you be confused?
Charles Darwin
As long as there are guitarists that like the feeling of turning physical knobs, you're going to sell amps and pedals.

But there are players that prefer DI. Hell, my roommate plays guitar and doesn't own an amp at all. He goes Tele > Pedalboard > DI box > Studio monitors.
I like knobs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I like knobs.

Siggable....but I ain't gonna...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You seem confused? Why would you be confused?

Took me a little bit to get it, sorry.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by henrihell

you don't know any audiophiles.
Guys, we're trying to argue against a brony. I think enough has been said. Let this settle to the abyssal plane of GG&A.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I dare to say whenever affordable modelling reaches the level of the Axe-FX/Kemper and is userfriendly enough.
Yet still, the actual amps will ALWAYS be the benchmark tones.

Hard to say TBH.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by LaidBack
Guys, we're trying to argue against a brony. I think enough has been said. Let this settle to the abyssal plane of GG&A.

I save my arguements for the pit. Well except when you people recomend 6505s for worship music.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by losing battle
I save my arguements for the pit. Well except when you people recomend 6505s for worship music.

You have an argument?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Page 1 of 2