Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to go into the world of home recording...what's a good way to start? I was thinking of getting a DAW like Reaper and then an inexpensive drums program for computer based stuff...then something like a Tascam multitrak for recording my instruments. Is it a good idea to do that and then get a MIDI controller for the drums? I don't like the idea of doing drums w/ just the mouse and stuff.

=\
Quote by Green_Ghoul
Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to go into the world of home recording...what's a good way to start? I was thinking of getting a DAW like Reaper and then an inexpensive drums program for computer based stuff...then something like a Tascam multitrak for recording my instruments. Is it a good idea to do that and then get a MIDI controller for the drums? I don't like the idea of doing drums w/ just the mouse and stuff.

=\

read the sticky posts,... then post.
they didn't really help. i'd rather get advice from someone than reading a list...I'm not some robot.

Anywya, maybe my wording wasn't proper. Is something like that overkill when all I want to do is make demos?
The only advice anyone can give you is that which is in the interfaces sticky.

If you want to start recording, you have two choices:
1 - Get a multitracker which you can do everything on
2 - Get an interface and use that to hook up to your PC and use a software based system.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, both are covered in plenty of detail in the interfaces sticky. It isn't just a list for robots, the regulars in this forum spent a lot of time writing it and keeping it up to date to try and help people like you. If you don't want that help, then I'm sorry but there isn't a lot we can do for you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Green_Ghoul
they didn't really help. i'd rather get advice from someone than reading a list...I'm not some robot.

The list wasn't written by one either... honestly if you know you want to make demos. Look at the sticky and pick the one you can justify spending money on. The sticky tells you already what each interface is good at.

I mean all we can do at this point is repeat ourselves.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i've already read it. i was just curious if a multitrack, DAW and a drum software of sorts w/ MIDI pads would be over kill. That wasn't covered in the sticky. I'm aware that multitrack recorders (namely the zoom r8 and tascam dp008 the two I'm looking at) have a sort of DAW built into them...However, I can't really move the drums over to them. Possibly the zoom since it has a built in rhythm machine, but I'm not sure if it can accept midi. So yeah, would it be overkill getting a DAW and a multitrack, etc.

It's not that I'm not accepting of the help, it's just that this specific question wasn't really covered in the sticky. If it was, then I apologize and I must've overlooked it. As far as I know, nothing was mentioned about getting both a multitrack and a DAW
I would just get an interface in your price range and program your drums with MIDI in Reaper or whatever DAW you settle on.

EZ drummer and the EXZ genre expansions are really affordable and really solid for demoing.

I know the prospect of clicking in all your drums with the mouse may seem daunting at first, but honestly once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. I bought a USB controller thinking I'd use it for drum programming and it just collected dust until I sold it.

So, my personal opinion is that the cheapest and best sounding way to gear up for demo would be an interface to record your guitar/bass DI, some free amp sims, Reaper (or another DAW if you want to spend a bit more), and Toontrack EZDrummer with an appropriate EXZ expansion.

Hope this helps.
Let's party.
Quote by Odirunn
I would just get an interface in your price range and program your drums with MIDI in Reaper or whatever DAW you settle on.

EZ drummer and the EXZ genre expansions are really affordable and really solid for demoing.

I know the prospect of clicking in all your drums with the mouse may seem daunting at first, but honestly once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. I bought a USB controller thinking I'd use it for drum programming and it just collected dust until I sold it.

So, my personal opinion is that the cheapest and best sounding way to gear up for demo would be an interface to record your guitar/bass DI, some free amp sims, Reaper (or another DAW if you want to spend a bit more), and Toontrack EZDrummer with an appropriate EXZ expansion.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that helped a lot actually. Now all I need to do is decide which device I want for recording...hmmm. Oh, one last question, will I be able to use my keyboard for programming drums on the computer?
sorry im not editing my post but im on my phone and cant see the button. anyway, ive decided on the zoom r8 because it seems to do everything i need - multitrack recorder, interface, built in mics for on the spot recording, etc. also it takes sd cards, i have an 8gn card laying around