Page 1 of 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22308165

A supermarket chain has withdrawn bags of nuts - after failing to declare they may contain peanuts.

The Food Standards Agency issued an allergy alert saying the presence of peanuts was not declared on Booths' own brand packets of monkey nuts.

The supermarket has removed 300 packets of 350g Whole Hearted Roasted Monkey Nuts from its shelves.

Booths has apologised and warned customers with a peanut allergy not to consume the product.

Booths technical manager Waheed Hassan said: "It is our responsibility as retailers to accurately record allergy advice.

"In this instance, we felt a responsibility to recall the product and issue a notice to our customers who might suffer from a specific peanut allergy."

Was this really necessary? Surely someone with a peanut allergy would know not to eat peanuts? I understand that there are rules about warnings on food labels, but come on!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Personal responsibility doesn't exist anymore, silly ts
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Yeah, I don't know why you were expecting personal responsibility in Europe of all places.
Last edited by blake1221 at Apr 27, 2013,
I read this article the other day, it's a bit misleading.

The product sold was labelled "Monkey Nuts" and it wasn't made clear that that meant peanuts, which it's not unreasonable to not know.
I love it when something that obviously has peanuts needs 'may contain peanuts' on it.

Why can't they just quit being passive and say 'this certainly contains peanuts'

sure, there's somethings like trail mix that might have no peanuts from a fluke, and that's ok. but something that's based on peanuts, I just don't get it
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by MadClownDisease

The product sold was labelled "Monkey Nuts" and it wasn't made clear that that meant peanuts, which it's not unreasonable to not know.

this

pretty obvious really
Quote by MadClownDisease

This, it's a perfectly sensible recall.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Some frpking ******ed cnutard eats them and the company is liable to compensate.

This is an old thing.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I hate buying food that has "once heated in oven, this food may be hot" on the back.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7
I hate buying food that has "once heated in oven, this food may be hot" on the back.

Bought a cake once and on the bottom of the box it said "Do not flip". Like that's not even a ****ing warning, it's just mocking you once you actually DO flip it.
"I'm having an allergic reaction to monkey nuts!"

lol that'd be funny to hear...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Bought a cake once and on the bottom of the box it said "Do not flip". Like that's not even a ****ing warning, it's just mocking you once you actually DO flip it.

That's fantastic.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Exactly. I'm under the impression that there are multiple nuts in the package, or at the very least the packaging isn't clear that the nuts contained in the package are peanuts.

Some people have a deadly allergy to peanuts, so knowing what's in there before opening a package is pretty important.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Next supermarket I walk into, I'm going to turn every cake upside down.

Watch for it on the news.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
What's next, ciggs being recalled because they forgot the could cause health problems warning? Bottles of water recalled for not have a nutritional facts label?
It seems like peanuts inside of the package would make it clear that the package contained peanuts.

Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 27, 2013,
Quote by MakinLattes
It seems like peanuts inside of the package would make it clear that the package contained peanuts.

Why are they called monkey nuts then? If you're going to be purposefully misleading with your branding then you sure as hell better qualify things in the small print.

Quote by Wormholes
What's next, ciggs being recalled because they forgot the could cause health problems warning? Bottles of water recalled for not have a nutritional facts label?

Both of these would events would happen, especially with regards to water, which for obvious reasons needs to have nutritional information on it.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 27, 2013,
Maybe because it's childishly funny and an actual alternative name to peanuts?

Apparently this isn't a result of a consumer complaint. Peanuts aren't even nuts. If you want an actual warning label it'd have to be something like "May Contain Beans," which would be even more misleading for all of the people who didn't complain about this product.
Yeah no, this is perfectly logical.

Inb4 all the ****tards "huhuhu oh lol just dont eat it".

I've had my allergy since ****ing ever. Trace contaminants can very much kill me impossibly quickly.
Now while I'm allergic to all nuts (Yes I have trouble eating out((huehuehue)) because of this) other people may only be allergic to almonds or one specific type of nut and be fine with the rest. Its imperative this kind of stuff is everywhere.

Yes, I have been hospitalised and no, it is not fun having your throat suffocate you by clenching the airway.

EDIT: Yeah peanuts are legumes, irrelevant.
It's pretty relevant if you're going to argue for explicitly labeling things. And every consumable should have a full ingredient listing, nutritional information, allergens, and origin on the label. It's just kind of strange to think that someone with a peanut allergy would look at a bag that pretty obviously contains peanuts and think it's safe for them to open.
Quote by MakinLattes
It's pretty relevant if you're going to argue for explicitly labeling things. And every consumable should have a full ingredient listing, nutritional information, allergens, and origin on the label. It's just kind of strange to think that someone with a peanut allergy would look at a bag that pretty obviously contains peanuts and think it's safe for them to open.

Oh, well there is massive stupidity there, not gonna lie.

And this is in a sainsburys, where like, nuts are in their own aisle and shit.
People are dumb.
The worrying part is when people cant identify things by name.

By irrelevant I mean I think its wrong to exclude peanuts because they arent really a nut. I agree with u m8.
Because God forbid we should just let stupid people die.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by MakinLattes

There are many ways this not being labelled could cause problems: someone could make a cake using these nuts, and then when someone who has a peanut allergy asks and the person replies 'Nahh, it's only got monkey nuts in' you end up with a trip to the hospital.
I once bought a packet of batteries with a warning label that said "WARNING! Do not place in microwave".

That actually made me want to do it.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Todd Hart
There are many ways this not being labelled could cause problems: someone could make a cake using these nuts, and then when someone who has a peanut allergy asks and the person replies 'Nahh, it's only got monkey nuts in' you end up with a trip to the hospital.

Brought to you by the formerly most powerful empire in the world, folks.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Spaztikko

I've had my allergy since ****ing ever. Trace contaminants can very much kill me impossibly quickly.
Now while I'm allergic to all nuts (Yes I have trouble eating out((huehuehue)) because of this) other people may only be allergic to almonds or one specific type of nut and be fine with the rest. Its imperative this kind of stuff is everywhere.

Yes, I have been hospitalised and no, it is not fun having your throat suffocate you by clenching the airway.

I get the point you're trying to make here and I understand and all, but it just seems like you're trying to make us feel sorry for your own allergy.

Quote by MakinLattes

"small children can choke on nuts."

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by MakinLattes

*pic*

Not everyone will have seen peanuts in that form though. In fact, you almost never see peanuts looking like that, usually it's just the nut without the kernel, or as an ingredient.

Add to that the fact they're calling them a name people wouldn't be familiar with, it's not that unreasonable someone wouldn't realise they were peanuts.

In any case, considering all it requires is for the label to say "contains peanuts" on it somewhere to avoid potentially serious harm, it really should do.
Anyone who's seen a cartoon has seen peanuts in that form, lol.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Weaponized
This is just cause some a-hole could sue them

This is exactly why. Nothing to do with 'EU mollycoddling' or the apparently tragic end of social Darwinism. It's pure litigation culture, it's frivelous lawsuits that put the 'caution hot' labels on coffee cups, not some space lizard conspiracy to undermine humanity by keeping all the stupid people alive.
Quote by Spaztikko

So... I'm allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant, allergic to milk protein), do you know what milk is in, nearly everything, I can get by just fine regardless of labels by simply knowing how things are made, the peanut allergy people tend to over dramatize, and over legislate, you don't need a warning to tell you that peanuts contain nuts, just like I don't need a warning to tell me that cheese contains milk
Quote by ErikLensherr
Anyone who's seen a cartoon has seen peanuts in that form, lol.

I see a lot of things in cartoons I don't assume are the case in the real world though. I've never seen a single tramp with a spotted cloth tied around the end of a stick and a top hat with the top bit flapping up. Usually they're just sat looking sad, sometimes with a dog or special brew.

EDIT: it should also be mentioned that the picture in this thread isn't the actual product that was recalled. The product recalled was sold at Booth's, not Sainsbury's.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Apr 27, 2013,
Quote by Bad Kharmel
So... I'm allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant, allergic to milk protein), do you know what milk is in, nearly everything, I can get by just fine regardless of labels by simply knowing how things are made, the peanut allergy people tend to over dramatize, and over legislate, you don't need a warning to tell you that peanuts contain nuts, just like I don't need a warning to tell me that cheese contains milk

The difference is that peanut allergies can be so severe that if the food was even made in the same factory that also happens to process peanuts people can have a reaction. I have a young cousin who has such a severe allergy that you can't even touch him for about an hour or two if you've eaten one peanut.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Not everyone will have seen peanuts in that form though. In fact, you almost never see peanuts looking like that, usually it's just the nut without the kernel, or as an ingredient.

I see peanuts "in that form" all of the time. In what world are people of peanut purchasing age not being exposed to the various, and, by your tone, exotic forms of peanuts?

Are you really trying to argue that people can't recognize peanuts on sight? Really?

Regardless of the packaging, it has "nut" in the name. That's usually a clue that the product is a nut, or a peanut, or something that might cause a trip to the emergency room if you have the appropriate allergy. If you are unable to recognize that you probably shouldn't be handling money.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 27, 2013,
Quote by Spaztikko

Real talk, that shit ain't fun and it puts a damper on your holiday. The drugs they gave you are though.
Quote by MakinLattes
Regardless of the packaging, it has "nut" in the name. That's usually a clue that the product is a nut, or a peanut, or something that might cause a trip to the emergency room if you have the appropriate allergy. If you are unable to recognize that you probably shouldn't be handling money.

I am allergic to apples. I am not allergic to pineapples, however.

People can be and are allergic to peanuts but eat things like walnuts or macadamia or Brazil nuts just fine.
Page 1 of 3