Page 1 of 2
As the title says I need a tube combo amp for playing classic rock but with a bit more gain to it (think GNR Appetite for Destruction, Use your illusion). Amp should have power attenuator built in so I can crank it without having police on my doors 10 mins later.

I'm playing on ESP Eclipse I CTM FT model with SD '59(N) and SD JB(B) pickups which I'm probably gonna replace with Alnico II pro's. I'm willing to go up to 1000$ but 500$ sounds more reasonable for it. Any suggestions?
Marshal SL5?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Egnater Rebel 20? No built in attenuator as such but it has variable wattage, right through from 1w - 20w.

I tried one before I bought my Tweaker, it was fantastic but the Egnater won for me. The Rebel is better suited for your needs though
Peavey Windsor Studio sounds like it may fit the bill. Not the greatest amp, but it is a good classic rock platform.

It has a built in attenuator, FX loop, Boost function, Reverb, DI out and it will take any Octal-9 pin tubes (6L6,EL34,KT66,KT88,6505,5881,KT77,KT90, ect)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
All 3 amps sound really nice but SL5 nails that tone I'm after but it's a bit pricey for what it offers. Other two have much more options. Bad thing is none of my local dealers has any of them in stock...

What do you think about Laney CUB12R 15W?
Marshall JCM1
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by Noisembryo
All 3 amps sound really nice but SL5 nails that tone I'm after but it's a bit pricey for what it offers. Other two have much more options. Bad thing is none of my local dealers has any of them in stock...

What do you think about Laney CUB12R 15W?

The Cub should work for you. It is soposedly very Marshall JCM 800 like.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
it depends how loud is too loud for you? a 5w valve amp cranked (to get the tones you're talking about) is pretty loud in an apartment/flat?
Quote by daverichards
it depends how loud is too loud for you? a 5w valve amp cranked (to get the tones you're talking about) is pretty loud in an apartment/flat?

As long as the amp has a master volume you can use a 100 watt 1/2 stack in an apartment

yes they might sound better loud, but most tube amps still sound good at low volumes too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I can't believe that Robb didn't recommend it, see what price you can find a Krank 1980jr. for. Great little amps, very aggressive
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I can't believe that Robb didn't recommend it, see what price you can find a Krank 1980jr. for. Great little amps, very aggressive

well he wanted a combo with power soak and although it can do classic rock, it really would not be my first choice for "classic rock. But if you play hard rock/metal also it would be great

But here you go, there is a Krank 1980jr for $375 on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

it is only the head so you would have to get a cab and they also have the matching 1980 1x12 cab for $129
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly

well he wanted a combo with power soak and although it can do classic rock, it really would not be my first choice for "classic rock. But if you play hard rock/metal also it would be great

I guess it depends on how classic sounding you like it

I figure it would really excel at anything that needs plenty of saturation, and Krank is one of the few amps that is more in your face than a Marhall. I suppose I wouldn't want it for cranking out Clapton or The Who, but it would be in my top 5 for anything from Van Halen on
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I guess it depends on how classic sounding you like it

I figure it would really excel at anything that needs plenty of saturation, and Krank is one of the few amps that is more in your face than a Marhall. I suppose I wouldn't want it for cranking out Clapton or The Who, but it would be in my top 5 for anything from Van Halen on

Yeah VH on it is great, but you know I really haven't pushed the clean ch hardly at all. If you hit the clean ch with a decent OD it would probably do classic rock pretty well

I'll have to give it a try. And I bet when I get my 2x12 cab built it would do classic better also (Eminence GB128 and a WGS Reaper HP)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i hate the cub, very thin sounding. tried it out and i found the blackstar HT-5 sounded better (cleans were great, overdrive sounded very digital). The cubs got nice overdrive, and maybe a more punchy speaker will help, but it needs to be cranked to get nice gain. upping the gain knob and keeping volume down isnt a very satisfactory tone

Take a look at the Ibanez TSA15 and the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 watt.

Im currently torn between them both. Ibanez is cheap for me and sounds great, but cant get alot of overdrive,
the H&K is more versatile, but it also sounds more HI-FI like, and not very warm tube like,
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Apr 28, 2013,
Seriously consider one of the Blackstar ID series.
I bought one of the ID30s today and I'm seriously impressed with the True Valve Power.
I have a Peavy Classic 50 and I've been pretty happy with it. Got it used for a little over $400 (I think they are about $900 new). Its been reliable, cleans are fine and the overdrive channel is pretty good. There is only one EQ for both channels which kind of sucks, but it is pretty responsive. Takes all my pedals well too.
Quote by aardvark5
Seriously consider one of the Blackstar ID series.
I bought one of the ID30s today and I'm seriously impressed with the True Valve Power.

No just no
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That Handsome Devil is really, really nice! However, I've read that Blackheart has gone bankrupt and they don't make any new amps...is that true? If it is that's really a shame. I like it's mod friendly design, this really gives alot of options.
I think the Ampeg GVT series amps are worth taking a look at, they're great for pretty much anything except brutal, very-high-gain metal.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Apr 30, 2013,
Quote by Noisembryo
That Handsome Devil is really, really nice! However, I've read that Blackheart has gone bankrupt and they don't make any new amps...is that true? If it is that's really a shame. I like it's mod friendly design, this really gives alot of options.

Blackheart is owned by Crate and Ampeg, so I doubt they have gone bankrupt. Since Blackheart has come along have you noticed that Crate no longer does valve amps, because Blackheart is the Crate valve amp line now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Linkerman
I think the Ampeg GVT series amps are worth taking a look at, they're great for pretty much anything except brutal, very-high-gain metal.

+1

sam ash is blowing these out right now at silly low prices.

but you have to call a store, i don't think you can get the deals over the internet site due to MAP pricing stipulations.

so pick up the phone brah.

or grab a tweaker 15 watt.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No just no

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
I used it at Friday & Saturdays gigs and I had a lot of people asking questions about it and the awesome sounds I used.
I've used it to replace a Marshall TSL602 and now my lead guitarist has said he is going to buy one also and replace his TSL602.
I'm pretty sure he's eyerolling the fact that you said the ID series is valve powered.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm pretty sure he's eyerolling the fact that you said the ID series is valve powered.

Well that and the fact that the ID series is nothing more than a practice amp. And yes I have played the ID amps and to be completely honest I thought they sucked

I don't care about the "valve power" crap because they are totally full of crap any ways. . I just think Blackstar makes mediocre products If you like 'em great, but I don't and I really cant be persuaded to think otherwise.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gersh_uwec
I am looking for a similar sound, small classic rock tube amp, I have thought about a valve jr with a od pedal. What do you guys think?

if you have an inquiry about your situation, post your own thread. i am sure you will get information suited right for you. and this is his thread and he is getting help for what he needs.

this is Noisembryo's thread.

i had a tweaker for a month or two, i got bored with it. for me after a while once you hear the different modes and switches, it all starts to have the same 'core' sound and you notice that the switches do, really all they do is alter the EQ. but i can see people liking them.

the rebel is a solid recommendation. i liked the 30 better (i don't remember a specific reason i haven't played one in a while). the 'variable wattage' knob doesn't do as much as it was hyped to do IMO. other than a tiny bit of headroom loss, it doesn't really sound much different.

if you have a master volume, it really doesn't matter how loud the amp is in most situations. my MKIV can sound excellent at night time volume. i have the channel's individual volume and then you can set the global master (separate control). i set the master to right where the amp wakes up and just turn down the channel master to two or three, and you are good to go.

have you looked into orange? different i know, but it could be good to look into.

or you could get a good clean amp and run a dirt pedal up front (may defeat purpose)? there are a ton of 'marshall in the box' pedals out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
@trashedlostfdup - you pretty much read my mind

I listened to all amps here and they all pretty much sound dull to me. It's either OD channel is to dark/muddy or it has to much gain/compression. I could buy one but I'm sure down the road I'll replace it with something better so I might just skip all that and get what I want right now.

I was looking into oranges but I don't really like gain on them either so I'm actually considering going with a clean amp and have various pedals to fine tune the sound I want.

Speaking of clean amps...any recommendations? I would like nice, sparkly cleans with fat low end if possible . Also I don't care about the low wattages as long as the amp has master volume. I'll be mostly playing at home and jam with friends.
Maybe a Vox Night Train amp might give you what you need? It has a great clean channel, although with the gain cranked up it's not so clean, but at all levels it sounds lovely. It also has the 'thick' channel with much more grunt, classic rock sounds.

It won't do very high gain stuff. I've had mine for 18 months, and while I still get GAS, it's been almost all I need.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Then he doesn't know what TVP (True Valve Power) is.
It has got True Valve Power - FACT.
Quote by aardvark5
Then he doesn't know what TVP (True Valve Power) is.
It has got True Valve Power - FACT.

You have got to be kidding my amps are true valve amps, so they really do have valve power.

The TVP is a complete gimmick, count how many tubes are in it.....0 FACT, amazing huh? The TVP is nothing more than a name they have given it to get people to buy it for its "tube like sound" which it has none.

Now an amp does not have to be a tube amp to be good, I'm not a tube purist by any means. But learn what the equipment really is before you go giving advise to people based on your knowledge of "True Valve Power"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You have got to be kidding my amps are true valve amps, so they really do have valve power.

Stop being a silly boy, I have never once said they use proper valves.

TVP is Blackstar's modelling of Valves and they call it TRUE VALVE POWER.
I know what real valves are, I've been buying all the top amps since 1970 and I'm 55 now .
I have both a Fender Twin and TSL602 at the moment but they are breaking my back and both amps have cost me a fortune in repair.
This Blackstar ID series is the first amp I've heard that accurately emulates my two wonderful valve amps with its TRUE VALVE POWER.

Now get over yourself and do some homework.
I don't do smileys because it's childish.
Last edited by aardvark5 at May 7, 2013,
Quote by aardvark5
Stop being a silly boy, I have never once said they use proper valves.

TVP is Blackstar's modelling of Valves and they call it TRUE VALVE POWER.
I know what real valves are, I've been buying all the top amps since 1970 and I'm 55 now .
I have both a Fender Twin and TSL602 at the moment but they are breaking my back and both amps have cost me a fortune in repair.
This Blackstar ID series is the first amp I've heard that accurately emulates my two wonderful valve amps with its TRUE VALVE POWER.

Now get over yourself and do some homework.
I don't do smileys because it's childish.

I have done plenty of research and Blackstars ID series is crap. I'm far from being a child and have been giging for over 15 yrs, so I guess I know a thing or 2 about amps.

No Im not a tube snob and that is fine that you like your new amp. The way you came across is that the TVP was valve. Basically the ID series has come across as the Blackstar version of a Peavey Transtube amp with a little modeling thrown in.

And hear is a non smiley
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The way you came across is that the TVP was valve.

Then that is your fault because I said from the outset it used True Valve Power.

I am a valve snob, I've used valves for 43 years (except for an H|H I had in the early 70s) but this ID series has sealed it for me that technology can emulate really well.
Oh and the combo is a 1/4 the weight of my valve amp.
Why do I have this overwhelming urge to slap my forehead?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll do it for you Cath

At least TransTube and Valvetronix hint at the fact that it is a hybrid or a modeler. True Valve Power (TVP) is just the worst name. If you pretend otherwise you are trolling. It is neither a true valve technology nor a valve powered technology. It fails.
Page 1 of 2