Page 1 of 2
I'm doing a sponsored cycle tomorrow for funds for my Gold DofE Expedition, and I'm having a slight dilemma. Please have the patience to read all this :L

Ill start off by saying that active activities are not my thing, hence why I'm posting this on a guitar website rather than a sports one.

The cycle is 50 miles, mostly on road bordering dual carriageway (uk) and city road. However, in the middle there is a long stretch of off-road bumpiness.

My dilemma is this: I've put down to rent a mountain bike because of this bumpy section, and I only have a road bike. However, on doing 22 miles practice last night (got a McDonolds, it was great) on my road bike, all on road, and then swapping to my friends mountain bike for a few miles, i found that I found the mountain bike quite hard compared to my road bike.

If I put rougher tires on my road bike, would it cope with the off-road section of the run? I've found on unpaved, gritted paths it can be quite hard going.

Would rougher tires defeat the purpose of having a road bike?
Would riding a road bike for 50 miles be harder? I found I got a pain between my shoulder blades.

The road bike is decent, I inherited it from my granddad, who cycled everywhere.

Like I say, I can shred and sweep pick, but I know **** all about bikes cheers for any help
You know mountain bikes can change gears to make peddling easier, right?

I may be misinterpreting, but road bike around here means like a BMX/flatlanding type bike
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Apr 27, 2013,
Mountain bike with thinner tires.

Most mountain bikes use tires over 2", try and find something thin and grippy.

Source:
I'm a bike enthusiast.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Go road bike. 50 miles on a mountain bike is very different to 50 on a road bike. just put up with the bumps
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Mountain bike with thinner tires.

Most mountain bikes use tires over 2", try and find something thin and grippy.

Source:
I'm a bike enthusiast.

So, sorry, you're saying use the road bike, but change the tires? :P
Quote by naedauuf
You know mountain bikes can change gears to make peddling easier, right?

I may be misinterpreting, but road bike around here means like a BMX/flatlanding type bike

As far as I know from being a physics enthusiast, a mountain bike on a low gear won't go as fast as a road bike on an equivalent resistance.

Where abouts (country) are you from? Here, a road bike has really skinny tires and is used for going on long flat roads
Quote by Paddynbob
So, sorry, you're saying use the road bike, but change the tires? :P
No, I said use the mountain bike, but put thinner tires on.

I mean, you could also use a road bike and put slightly bigger tires on, but I don't know enough about the bikes to give much more advice.

Gear sets on each?
Wheel size?
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7
No, I said use the mountain bike, but put thinner tires on.

I mean, you could also use a road bike and put slightly bigger tires on, but I don't know enough about the bikes to give much more advice.

Gear sets on each?
Wheel size?

Unfortunately I can't change the mountain bike, it's rented for the day :/

(Don't know a lot about bikes but ill give this a shot)

Road bike has three on the left and 8 on the right (I think UK is flipped around from other places) and I'm not sure about the tires but... Does twenty eight sound right? I think someone said that. They're big. I can't speak for the mountain bike as its rented. I hear its decent, and pretty standard set up
Quote by Paddynbob
As far as I know from being a physics enthusiast, a mountain bike on a low gear won't go as fast as a road bike on an equivalent resistance.

Where abouts (country) are you from? Here, a road bike has really skinny tires and is used for going on long flat roads

Ooooh, shit. I'm stupid, it means the same here I just wasn't thinking. My mistake!

I would go for the one that will be utilized to it's maximum potential the most. So if there's mostly flat road, go for a road bike.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Without seeing both bikes and knowing any specs, I would choose mountain bike.

I have had to ride road bikes offroad, it is absolutely ****ed.

If you're fit, mountain bikes are fine for onroad use (I cycle my 29" mountain bike 50km's on weekends for fun).

EDIT:
Rereading your original post, you would probably benefit from putting chunkier tires on your road bike.
- Devin Townsend
Last edited by Mind_Reader7 at Apr 27, 2013,
If the off road bit isn't too wild, use the road bike.
However if the road bike isn't up to it. Get a mountain bike with:

NO REAR SUSPENSION
firm/stiff front suspension
tires that are roughly 1.80 inches wide with not too much thread
a good seat for comfort
a good gear set

Out of all that i'd say for ease of pedaling, the Suspension and Tires are your main ones to look at
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Without seeing both bikes and knowing any specs, I would choose mountain bike.

I have had to ride road bikes offroad, it is absolutely ****ed.

If you're fit, mountain bikes are fine for onroad use (I cycle my 29" mountain bike 50km's on weekends for fun).

EDIT:
Rereading your original post, you would probably benefit from putting chunkier tires on your road bike.

Ill have a look for that I'm not very active, I'm afraid
Quote by Paddynbob
Ill have a look for that I'm not very active, I'm afraid
Use the roadbike with slightly chunkier tires. Using slim/slick tires on loose dirt will guarantee a bad time.
- Devin Townsend
Wrong answers here.
Buy a KTM 250 sx and bring in all the ladies like me.

I get no ladies... Only ratbag men... : (
Hybrid bike, best of both worlds.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Hybrid bike, best of both worlds.

I think it may be a hydrid bike.

Will my bike retain its road bike qualities with a rougher tire?
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Use the roadbike with slightly chunkier tires. Using slim/slick tires on loose dirt will guarantee a bad time.

This. If you need bigger "nobbies" on your road bike tires, get tires with bigger nobbies. Those are the extended rubber things that protect better and give better traction.

If you can get away with the road bike, it probably weighs like ten pounds lighter, go with that. All you really have to worry about in the dirt section is a flat tire or slipping. You could even tie thick strings around the road bike tires if you don't want to buy new tires. They help with traction but make the ride bumpier.

Tie like twenty strings around the tires tightly, the spokes should help keep them from all bunching up together.

There ya go.

Edit: BTW, cut the strings off at the ends so they don't dangle and catch on the pedals or under the tires.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Last edited by mystical_1 at Apr 27, 2013,
Quote by mystical_1
This. If you need bigger "nobbies" on your road bike tires, get tires with bigger nobbies. Those are the extended rubber things that protect better and give better traction.

If you can get away with the road bike, it probably weighs like ten pounds lighter, go with that. All you really have to worry about in the dirt section is a flat tire or slipping. You could even tie thick strings around the road bike tires if you don't want to buy new tires. They help with traction but make the ride bumpier.

Tie like twenty strings around the tires tightly, the spokes should help keep them from all bunching up together.

There ya go.

Edit: BTW, cut the strings off at the ends so they don't dangle and catch on the pedals or under the tires.

What do you mean strings?
What are the disadvantages of rougher tires?
Quote by Paddynbob

More surface area, which means you work harder to pedal. The upside is that you get more grip, which isn't really needed on a smooth road. You want as little of the tire touching the road as possible if you are riding on a road for speed/ease.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
More surface area, which means you work harder to pedal. The upside is that you get more grip, which isn't really needed on a smooth road. You want as little of the tire touching the road as possible if you are riding on a road for speed/ease.

But it'll be less effort than a mountain bike, right? Will it be noticeably harder or just a bit?
If your friends mountain bike was a box store bike that could explain why it was harder, or improper gear (not)shifting. There's a big difference between a Giant and a Huffy.
Since its not a race, I would just roll with the mountain bike. Your ass will thank you if you're not used to 50 mile bike rides.
A road bike will be really easy to pedal, the easiest of all the bikes BUT on dirt/gavel/mud/whatever it will be very slippery. Mysticals string idea is pretty good, probably the best suggestion if you don't want new tires.

Personally if it were me, I would buy smooth mountain bike tires. They're tires for mountain bikes to ride on the road, but they also have a decent amount of traction in case you need to go on dirt/gravel/whatever.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Here's the difference.

This is a road bike tire. Super smooth, super slippery since there is no grip, but very easy to pedal.

This is a mountain bike tire. Lots of pieces sticking out to get traction. Good to ride on trails and mud and stuff, not so good for roads because the increased surface area makes you have to work harder to move it.

This is a road mountain bike tire. It's smooth, but still has dips and crevices to get traction in mud and dirt. This is what you should be using.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by lucky1978
If your friends mountain bike was a box store bike that could explain why it was harder, or improper gear (not)shifting. There's a big difference between a Giant and a Huffy.
Since its not a race, I would just roll with the mountain bike. Your ass will thank you if you're not used to 50 mile bike rides.

Is a mountain bike easier on the ass? I have padded shorts, a padded seat cover and suspension on my seat, haha, will that make a big difference?
Quote by desperatechris
Work harder and buy a car you two wheeled communist.

I hope this is a joke :L
Quote by naedauuf
Here's the difference.

This is a road bike tire. Super smooth, super slippery since there is no grip, but very easy to pedal.

This is a mountain bike tire. Lots of pieces sticking out to get traction. Good to ride on trails and mud and stuff, not so good for roads because the increased surface area makes you have to work harder to move it.

This is a road mountain bike tire. It's smooth, but still has dips and crevices to get traction in mud and dirt. This is what you should be using.

I think what I've bought is a bit like the last one
Quote by Paddynbob

Thick string. Not as thick as a clothes line but like the width of pencil lead.

Like this:

Now that I think of it, plastic ties like the image would work well also but they'er flatter. String would allow better traction in the dirt, its rounded. Might be sturdier too, the road portion might break the plastic tie-its.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Last edited by mystical_1 at Apr 27, 2013,
Quote by mystical_1
Thick string. Not as thick as a clothes line but like the width of pencil lead.

Like this:

Now that I think of it, plastic ties like the image would work well also but they'er flatter. String would allow better traction in the dirt, its rounded. Might be sturdier too, the road portion might break the plastic tie-its.

That's a good idea! I've just put some rougher tires on, would I still benefit from this? I have some left over from my pedalboard that I never used
Quote by Paddynbob
I hope this is a joke :L

No i hate cyclists. They cycle in the middle of the road and dont move for other cars. Like they own the road. I always spray washerfluid when i drive bye a cycle nazi.
Quote by Paddynbob
That's a good idea! I've just put some rougher tires on, would I still benefit from this? I have some left over from my pedalboard that I never used

I guess i'd have to see how "rough" the "rough" spot is. Do your new tires have "nobbies" on them?

Or no?

If so, you don't need the string, those are the perfect tires. If they are slick, like a tire with all the nobbies rubbed off from use, then i'd still use the string.

The thing is, you want the speed and lightness of the road bike if you can get away with it on the rough part. You'll destroy anyone on a mountain bike unless they have titanium frames. Try picking up each with one hand and feel the difference. I have a cheap mountain bike and I can't even get small hills on the road with it, its a tank.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Quote by desperatechris
No i hate cyclists. They cycle in the middle of the road and dont move for other cars. Like they own the road. I always spray washerfluid when i drive bye a cycle nazi.

Haven't got my license yet. If this is a joke, you're quite funny, if not you're the reason there is sadness in the world :L
Quote by Paddynbob
Haven't got my license yet. If this is a joke, you're quite funny, if not you're the reason there is sadness in the world :L

Good.
Quote by desperatechris

You sound like an unpleasant person to spend time with.

TS, why not just have someone hold the mountain bike at the off-road section. Swap bikes there and have them drive the road bike to the other side of the off-road part. Swap again.
Quote by uhh_me?
You sound like an unpleasant person to spend time with.

You really hurt my feelings...
Quote by Paddynbob
Is a mountain bike easier on the ass? I have padded shorts, a padded seat cover and suspension on my seat, haha, will that make a big difference?

are you an 80 year old woman?
I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.

It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good.

I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it...
I'd definitely say mountain bike. Sore legs due to fatigue is MUCH better than a sore ass due to improper seating/tires/etc.
Quote by Paddynbob

You shouldn't be sitting down on your seat. It should just be there to keep your balance. Keep pushing through the pedals and never coast. You need to keep a constant cadence and adjust you gears to fit the cadence not the other way around. use the road bike with a heavier grit like above
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Page 1 of 2