hello, I have an Ibanez RG1570 with tone zone, true velvet and air norton (b/m/n) configuration. I think the air norton is pretty dull and a bit muddy on the low end, if not dark, hard to explain. I'm looking to replace this pickup with something warmer and more articulate. The guitar is basswood. Any ideas? I contacted dimarzio and they said the Liquifire would be a good replacement, but I've also read various times that it's really similar to the Air Norton and I wouldn't notice much of a difference. Thanks.
What amp are you using?
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
A jet City JCA22H through a 1x12 celestion g12h30 cabinet. Sorry about that, slipped my mind.
Try the adjusting the pickup height to begin with.

If that dont work you could try a paf pro.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
I have this suspicion the issue lies with the basswood of your guitar. Basswood isn't very clear and bright for cleans.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The single coil and the true velvet is pretty clear. They both sound like they were described. But the Air Norton is lifeless.
Hmm fair enough.

The Liquifire is indeed very similar to the Air Norton, after all, it is largely a revoiced AN. That said, I have heard it an ash body vs an Air Norton in an alder body, I would say that it can sound very different still. Its a little smoother, and slightly clearer, but warmer. Altho these in were in two tone woods which aren't too dissimilar, so there's a little consideration there.

One thing to note is that what you're hearing is largely the sound of your guitar on its own. Once in a band setting, your sound "changes" because there are other instruments filling out the sound-scape.

Answer a few questions:
1. What amp are you using?
2. have you tried it without pedals, effects and drive?
3. What is your EQ?
4. When you say it's dark or muddy, is that the clean sound or driven sound?

Depending on your answer, your issue may lie with your humbucker, your settings or your rig.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
1. JC22h w/ egnater 1x12 g12h30 speaker
2. Both channels on jc22h, fender DR, ts808hw, no effects, etc.
3. I use various ones depending on the genre, it sounds lifeless in every spot unless heavily distorted then it becomes alright.
4. clean sound
Quote by HammerParty
1. JC22h w/ egnater 1x12 g12h30 speaker
2. Both channels on jc22h, fender DR, ts808hw, no effects, etc.
3. I use various ones depending on the genre, it sounds lifeless in every spot unless heavily distorted then it becomes alright.
4. clean sound

From my experimentation with RGs, I do find that basswood can be dark and muddy. To me, basswood sounds nice driven, but rare is the basswood guitar that has a nice clean tone. To the point that I will never consider another basswood guitar... but that's just me. The problem you'll face is ... will you like the overall tone of basswood and stick with it... or will you feel that a pickup change will solve your woes.

For me, I've gone through about 20 odd pickups (low & high output, mass market and boutique), I've not found one that can give a nice chimey clean tone in a basswood guitar. A pickup accentuates and fine tunes your base sound. If your base sound doesn't sound good clean, a pickup change won't change it.

From my personal experience, a tone gets muddy when it does have enough highs and the bass sound has poor definition, basswood unfortunately attenuates the highs and lows. One thing you can do is to increase your treble and presence on your amp. If you feel you like the humbucker, you can explore the possibility of a treble booster for your clean tones, or change your cab / speaker.

If you wanna change humbuckers, you can consider:
1. DiMarzio Air Classic
2. DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell
3. PAF Pro (beware that this might make your sound really fat, so might not be up your alley)
4. Seymour Duncan Seth Lover
5. Seymour Duncan Jazz
6. Seymour Duncan Original Parallel Axis (the description on this sounds nice, but I found the sound a little flat and lacking in harmonics, also, I felt that the output seemed to be higher than the 7.5 k suggested by Seymour Duncan, so YMMV)

Be careful with pickup changes, these changes don't always have a night-and-day difference. A pickup change should be done to fine tune a sound, or change the dynamics and reaction of your sound. To expect a different pickup to change to change your base sound is overreaching expectations.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Apr 28, 2013,
I have the exact same feelings about the Air Norton, really can't hear what all the fuss is about. The way I see it you can go one of two ways, assuming you want another Dimarzio...either go for airy, single coily neck tones in which case put a Humbucker from Hell there, or go for thick fat, warm Gibsonesque tones in which case you want a Breed. Don't get me wrong, they're both great neck pickups, I've just focused on the things they're known for.

Don't discount the effect pots have either, switching up to 1meg from the 500ks you currently have could make all the difference
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
useful information from both of you. I'm aware that pickups pretty much fine tune your sound as most sound comes from amp and guitar. I think I need to goto a store and try some new guitars and see if different body woulds might be something that'd be more pleasing to me and if not, look toward one of these pickups listed. But I certainly do not like the air norton haha.
i have a tz/tv/an setup in a 3550mz, and i don't mind the air norton. however, i just got a liquifire and crunch lab (JP set) in the mail a few days ago.

however, here is the shitty part. i just bought a second house (different area works out better) but my soldering station is packed in some box, because i brought all of the electrical supplies over there.

however, whenever i find the soldering station, i will get them in and will let you know what i think when they are in (the second is a 2570EVSL).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/