I play in a UK pub rock band and I'm having serious hearing problems that is making my gigging a complete pain.

Am I allowed to say what to look for on You Tube so you can see me?

I am totally deaf in my right ear and 50% in my left. I use an in ear monitor for my vocals but put nothing else through it and my guitar sounds like a wasp if I put that through. About 2 years ago I bought a Line 6 Spider 15 to use as a monitor facing up at me which comes out of an input on my HD500 while the other goes to my Marshall TSL602 behind me which I can't hear (it doesn't help that I can't stand in front of it and the drummer is directly behind me).
The sound coming through the Spider 15 is awful and the other week I tried a Behringer 12" stage monitor which sounded great at low volume but when I turned it up the sound was worse than the Spider 15 because of all the compression and limitation going on.
If I could put my Marshall facing me I'd have no problem but it is huge so I've decided on a Blackstar ID30 or maybe ID15 to use as a monitor where I would put it on a clean sound and let the HD500 make the sounds.

What do you think?
Are there any other deaf guitarists here with a similar problem and got around it?
I don't really want to go the Paul Gilbert route and use big headphones.

Thanks
Dave
I'm not deaf but I've some suggestions
1) Buy a decent monitor. Behringer aren't know for quality
2) Buy a smaller amp so you can position it where you want
3) Heft that Marshall around. Work out
]
Quote by falcon1439
I'm not deaf but I've some suggestions
1) Buy a decent monitor. Behringer aren't know for quality
2) Buy a smaller amp so you can position it where you want
3) Heft that Marshall around. Work out

We have 3 of the Behringers for normal monitoring and they are superb (agree they are not the best) but for some reason my guitar sounds awful through it when turned up to a decent level.
I'm actually thinking of buying two Blackstar ID30s - one to go behind me and one facing up at me and getting rid of the Marshall.
I've had pretty good experience with these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-a12m-12-2-way-floor-monitor

Are you looking for a powered monitor, or passive? Either way, I would definitely go with a wedge monitor like that so you can put it at your feet and get good sound pointed right where you need it.

Edit: this is another good one for cheap http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv-12m-12-floor-monitor
Active would be better but I'd have to make sure I have a pure sound coming out like I would if I had my combo aiming at me.
I'm thinking the Blackstar ID30 would be plenty powerful enough on a clean sound and it would also double up as a decent amp if needed.
First thing I'd suggest is to go in-ear monitoring. I'm not near deaf myself, and I can't possibly imagine how it is, but that seems to be the most practical option.
I said in my opening post I have in ear monitoring (in fact I've used in ear monitoring since the 80s when I used to run a cable up my back) however it only has my voice in it and adding my guitar makes it sound like a wasp.
Like I said in the opening post, I could go for big headphones like Paul Gilbert but I'll look daft.
Oh, sorry. I read your post though, I probably forgot about the first part when I read the rest.

Then I would certainly go for a good monitor, unless you really want an actual amplifier (I see you're thinking about the ID30). Either way, make sure it projects nicely to yourself. Either a wedge, or with a stand so you can tilt the speaker towards you.
Quote by aardvark5
I said in my opening post I have in ear monitoring (in fact I've used in ear monitoring since the 80s when I used to run a cable up my back) however it only has my voice in it and adding my guitar makes it sound like a wasp.
Like I said in the opening post, I could go for big headphones like Paul Gilbert but I'll look daft.

First, that sucks your hearing is diminished. But I second going the in-ear monitor route. Sounds like you just need a better setup or signal path. How were you routing the gtr signal to your ear monitor before? And what make/model are you using? For one suffering partial deafness I can't imagine a better solution than quality in-ear monitoring.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Thanks for the input dkunick but this morning I drove 45 miles to get this and it should do me until I really need to go the full in ear monitoring route -

I have two of those James Tylers which are the best guitars I've had in my 43 years of gigging.
Nice guitar! Hope the rig works out for you.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
aardvark5
Hello there,
Take a listen to my son who has no hearing in his left ear and only 30% in his right. He is 22 years old and really interested in pushing forward the the tech associated with this.
Cheers,
Russ
aardvark5
Hello there,
Take a listen to my son who has no hearing in his left ear and only 30% in his right. He is 22 years old and really interested in pushing forward the the tech associated with this.
Cheers,
Russ
He is using a Matamp on stage plus some of it back through his foldback. He swears by his analogue hearing aid and its programmable compression. At the moment he is refusing to change over to digital hearing aid for all the reasons you are describing.