incredibly hard to decide between these 2...
i am looking for a dark and thick tone on cleans and on distortion as well ...so my question is : which of these pups do the job ? and which one sounds good on clean without distorting that much? ... if this helps you , the genres i usually play are doom metal , metal , gothic metal , and a bit of progressive metal and post metal
influences : Isole , Paradise Lost , Riverside , Katatonia , Pelican, Tool, Opeth, a perfect circle
i think i have enough eq settings , as i own a Peavey Vypyr tube 60 , which helps you get any sound you want...
so which one is better for what i want ?
ty!
Last edited by SpeedosZ at Apr 29, 2013,
I prefer the blackouts. Emgs are just fine but for some reason the distortions on the blackouts feel more "tight" and less muddy. Alot of my guitars actually have emgs so obviously I still like the sound I get...but I'm a little more favorable towards the blackouts.

Oh and the cleans on the blackouts blow away the emgs IMO.
i would love to , but i plan on getting an agile septor elite 730 , and since 707 and blackouts differ from passives , i would have to fill the place around the passive pickup :\..and i don't want that , because the guitar will be brand new
The AHB-1s will probably play with the Vypyr better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go passive. Seymour duncan is releasing passives in the same housing as the 707 and blackouts. They have some new ones like the Pegasus and they'll be putting out the tried and true ones in that active housing too.
EMG X series kill either of them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
EMG X series kill either of them.

I agree, and my kneejerk reaction was to recoommend a 707X or an 81-7X, but I'm pretty sure TS is deciding between two guitars with those pickups as options.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
how are the cleans on blackouts comparing to the emgs ? are they dark, thick and round ?
Quote by SpeedosZ
how are the cleans on blackouts comparing to the emgs ? are they dark, thick and round ?

I don't know about EMGs, but with my Blackouts I've got to reduce the volume on the guitar a bit to get warm, thick, and round cleans -- and only on the neck at that. However, the amp comes into play here as well. I'm running mine into a 6505+, so the cleans are sort of brittle to begin with. But yeah, they are capable of getting there.
"Cleans" come down to your amp. Some amps will never give you a truly "clean" tone, no matter what your guitar and pickups are. Others will pretty much only give you a clean tone. Look at the Peavey Windsor and Roland JC-120 for two prime examples.

Not to mention that what makes a tone "nice" or "good" is entirely subjective. What I call "good cleans" is likely vastly different to what you do. What you call "good cleans" is likely vastly different to what a third person does.

That's not to mention that "dark" and "thick" are usually pretty much opposites. One implies a lack of upper-mids, the other implies all the mids you can get your hands on.

The way it breaks down is this:

707 = the clearest 7-string pickup you can get with the unwound strings tamed slightly by the alnico magnet.
Blackouts 7 = as above with slightly more mids and slightly more headroom.
707X = the same as the 707 but with even more headroom and lower impedance than the Blackouts.

The same applies to any other standrad EMG/Blackout/X EMG pickups you compare. Blackouts were worthwhile for about eight months, then EMG came out with the X pickups and rendered Blackouts pointless. If you want the tighter, typical active tone, get normal EMGs. If you want a more passive-like response, get EMG Xs. If you want a balanced tone, buy one with an alnico magnet and if you want a broader and more cutting tone, get one with a ceramic magnet. EMG list the specs of their pickups on their site so you can easily see what each pickup does. That's really all there is to it.

From the sound of it, the EMG 707X is what you want, in all positions. Keep it slightly further from the strings than you usually would to maximise clarity, since your amp is pretty ambivalent to output anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.