I've been a bit dissatisfied with my tone lately and have about $200-300 to spend on upgrades. My guitar and amp aren't great (a peavey predator plus HB and rage 158, respectively - not sure what year they are but I got them in 2002 or 2003 when I was in middle school) and I don't have a lot of effects I'm super satisfied with (right now my pedalboard is: digitech df-7 and cf-7, behringer vd700, and ibanez wd-7 which is probably the only pedal that i'm super fond of). Given my current price range and the fact that I'm going to be graduating in a year or so, I'm thinking that I may be better off waiting till then to buy a new guitar/amp combo. Because I play a variety of different kinds of music I was really hoping to get a

Given that, here are the options I'm thinking of:
- buy a couple of decent pedals with the budget I've got (I'm thinking reverb for sure and probably a better distortion or overdrive)
- sell the guitar and/or amp and trade up (I have no idea how much I can get out of either but I expect it's not much)
- get a decent multi-effects pedal and start saving for a new guitar/amp.

What are your thoughts? Pedal recommendations? I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the multi-fx pedal, then a new amp when I have money, then a new guitar as a graduation present to myself. But I may be doing this wrong.
Have you looked into the Vypyr 60 with Sanpera II ?

You can get them used for 300-400.

What type of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I play a little bit of everything, really - from acoustic folky stuff to blues to post-rock and shoegaze.

The vypyr/sanpera looks like it may be a good way to get something solid now and build on more as I continue to get more pedals.
Buy a Rockmaster pre as the beginning of your new rig. I was originally going to say then run it into the effects loop return until you get a power amp. I did with mine before I got a tube power amp and it sounded pretty damn good. I just looked it up though and it seems your Rage 158 has no effects loop. I guess you could just plug into the input though.
Quote by thasnazzle
I play a little bit of everything, really - from acoustic folky stuff to blues to post-rock and shoegaze.

The vypyr/sanpera looks like it may be a good way to get something solid now and build on more as I continue to get more pedals.

Vypyr has on-board effects. With the Sanpera II you can switch on the fly. It's great at metal, however you may want a Fender Mustang or The Vox modeler.

On a budget for versatility modelers can't be beat.

Other thoughts would be a Line 6 POD into your current amps input. It would color the sound but still be very versatile.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Have you looked into the Vypyr 60 with Sanpera II ?

You can get them used for 300-400.

What type of music do you play?

the tube 60 is one of the best things going on around for a decent price on the market. they sound pretty damn good. they are more strongly suited for heavier music, so , but the sanpera i/ii give you a lot of possibility that i would put it above the other amps in the price range. i just saw an ad on my CL for a tube 60 and sanpera (don't remember which) for like $250 or something seems like a good deal. cruise GC's used section and you should get a decent rig going cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks all. I'm also concerned about having good clean tones, and being able to do a lot of layered reverb. Is that something the Vypyr and Sanpera combo can do well?
Based on your music, I wouldn't suggest the Vypyr. Most of the models are high-gain models (Mesa, 5150, Krank, Ultra/XXX). They have some Plexi-type channels and some kind of Fender channel, but it's really known for the high-gain stuff. Bugera V22/V55 could be a good amp for you. Lots of nice low-gain sounds from what I've heard, and enough gain for the post rock stuff. The cleans and low-gain on the V22 are some of the best I've ever heard, but I think the V55 has a better distorted sound.

If you like the clean channel on the Rage, some decent OD pedal might be a better bet for now until you can get a really nice amp. If you don't like the clean channel on the Rage, then there's nothing you can do with it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by thasnazzle
Thanks all. I'm also concerned about having good clean tones, and being able to do a lot of layered reverb. Is that something the Vypyr and Sanpera combo can do well?

Here is a clean clip I did a long time ago. It is kind of mediocre - it sounds much better than this in person.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play983743

The other good thing to know is that it takes pedals very well for a modeling amp
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play1070203

The cool thing about the Vypyr 60 is that fills the room with this massive sound

http://s545.photobucket.com/user/buckethead_311/media/NAD/MVI_5788DiezelROS_zpsde070843.mp4.html

There are much better clips up on youtube though that you can check out.
Thanks everyone!

I've been doing a bit more thinking about this and realized I should probably be putting more money into my rig - I expect to be able to budget about $500 or so in the fall for this.

Given that, order of investment is a bit of a priority. I'll be doing some home recording with a group of friends for a couple of weeks this month, then I'm road tripping from Texas to DC where I'll be all summer and will probably be bringing my guitar but am a little unsure about the amount of gear that's coming with it since I'll likely be playing through headphones for the majority of the summer. That leaves me with a couple of options:

1) Get the amp now, get what tones I can from the rig I have and use something like Jesusonic for recording over the summer, then get more pedals (or a multi-effects board) in august
2) get a multi-effects pedal (or 2-3 good pedals, probably delay/reverb, overdrive, and a good distortion pedal are my priorities) now, then get the amp in the fall when I'll actually be able to use it.

both would lead into me getting a new guitar around this time next year probably.
You can always get a POD.

Great for headphones and recording.

There are a few different versions available. They also have a pocket pod that runs on batteries for your road trip. It's no where near as good as the other PODs but for traveling you can't beat it.

The Vypyr is geared more towards but can do cleans. The Fender and Vox modelers are great as well, just not geared for the heavy stuff. I would recommend going to a guitar center and trying them out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr