Hey so I've been looking to upgrade my amp for sometime now for my thrash/punk band that I play in. I have used a Peavey Valveking for the last couple of years and it served me well but now it's time to go for an amp that really excels in the category of music I play (I sold the amp for $300). Here are some outlines

Budget - $600-800 CAD
Location - Edmonton AB
Genre - Thrash/Punk but it needs to be versatile enough to do stuff like Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd (not that I need exact tones)
Condition: New or Used
Pedals: Bad Monkey, GE-7, Crybaby, DD3, Pitchblack Tuner

So I've tried a few amps out like the Marshall DSL, Jet City JCA100, Egnater Vengeance, Peavey 6505+ and I feel the DSL and JCA are probably the best forwhat I want, though the JCA seems to be significantly cheaper, which is luring me in. However if I were able to find an affordable DSL in my range, I'd probably prefer it for it's versatility. Are there any other Amps you'd recommend?

I have a 4x12 Marshall MA cab that I can use for now until I get some funds to buy an Avatar 2x12. So I want a head only

I don't need a 100watter but preferably it should be loud enough that I could gig with it without it being mic'd (though most of the time we are). I do like simple amps for playing live. The Orange Terror series is somewhat appealing, though they may not have enough umph for what I need.

Which of these amps would you choose in my situation? Is anyone able to find a DSL in my area for a reasonable price (I've had no such luck)?
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
I would not go for the new DSL series. Look at the older JCM 2000 DSL's they are far superior. The Jet City might be up your alley if you like the Marshall tone. Befor Robb gets the chance to mention it the Krank 1980 jr is a two channel 20 watt Marshall-y head, only better. The Orange TT will suffice for a while, but you will get tired of it pretty quickly, which is why you can find so many of them in the used market.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks dude!

Ya I was talking about the old DSLs. I've haven't had a chance to try out the new ones, but I've heard bad things.

So the Krank 1980 is an 80 watt for like 1200.00 new, but they make a 50 watt Jr version for about 699.00 new, that's a pretty huge difference in price for such a marginal specification difference, so I'm kind of curious about that. I have not tried these, but from the video they basically sound like a JCM 800, is there more to it than this? They're 100 bucks more than a JCA50H too.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Last edited by evmac at Apr 28, 2013,
I think the Carvin X100B would fit what you're looking for imo. Also check out the Orange OR15, those lil things are amazing!
Quote by bobafettacheese
I would not go for the new DSL series. Look at the older JCM 2000 DSL's they are far superior. The Jet City might be up your alley if you like the Marshall tone. Befor Robb gets the chance to mention it the Krank 1980 jr is a two channel 20 watt Marshall-y head, only better. The Orange TT will suffice for a while, but you will get tired of it pretty quickly, which is why you can find so many of them in the used market.

So now I'm the "1980 guy" huh

I agree with both selections though. I have both a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and a Krank 1980 Jr 20 watt, both are great amps. The JCM2000 is deff more versatile than the 1980 Jr, but the 1980 Jr I have is a really good HR Marshall tone. Even at 20 watts I can use it for band practice ( I play in a very loud band with an ampeg SVT3 and 8x10 cab and a Mesa Dual 1/2 stack) through my Krank 4x12 cab. And it has a good clean ch.

Doing the styles TS wants I would lean more twards the JCM2000 honestly. But I really don't think the 1980 would have a problem at all, just a little more time playing with the EQ, where the DSL has mode buttons on each channel to change the voicing.

Some other amps to consider:
Peavey Ultra
Peavey XXX/JSX
Peavey VTM
Laney GH50/100 (but they are only 1 channel)
Laney VH100r

If you can find a 1980 Jr used, I just bought mine for $300 USD from www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and they have 1 right now for $375. See if they will ship to Canada
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 28, 2013,
Try out the JCA50H.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I was down to either the JCA or a Marshall. I went with the JCA because IMO it's drive channel just kills the Marshalls, and the drive is the most important part of the amp for me. Not to mention that the JC was only like $600 at axe music!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thanks a lot for the help dudes!

I've been blown away by both the DSL and JCA when I played them. I'm prob just a sucker for the punchiness of hotrodded Marshall tones. Dual Recs and 6505's just don't do it for me. If the Krank could do something similar then I should probably just go for the cheapest one I could find.

I tried the 3120 a few years ago and I really liked that amp too, but I don't think I liked it to the extent of the other amps I've tried.

Hey, Robb which drive channel do you prefer more between your two amps, or are they pretty much capable of the same thing?
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
The gain structures are very similar but the JCM can get more saturated gain, while the Krank is more crisp

Well for the most part I like the JCM with Presence 4-5, Bass 5-6, Mids 6-7, treble 8-9 with the Deep switch on, Tone shift off, gain 6 on the ultra gain ch. I like the classic crunch ch a lot when boosted, sounds like a badass plexi. The cleans are really good also.

The Krank I have been using at band practice and the settings I use are Sweep 5,Bass 9.5, mids 6.5, treble 9, presence 3-4. The coolest thing is the volume is only on 6 and it is plenty loud for practice. It also has a FX loop boost that really can make a difference in how loud you get.

If I had to choose between them, I'd have to keep the JCM it just sounds massive. The Krank is a close second though. The full sized 1980 is really good I'd drop the Marshall for one in a straight trade
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 28, 2013,
There's a full sized Nineteen 80 for 699.00, which is pretty good so I'm really considering getting that. There's DSLs around for that price as well, and the JCAs are cheaper.

The one thing preventing me from getting a JCA is that they're butt ugly. I know that shouldn't be that big of a factor, but I want something that looks decent when I'm playing live and at jams. Call me superficial All things equal, I'll take the better looking amp for a little more money.

You guys rock.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by evmac
There's a full sized Nineteen 80 for 699.00, which is pretty good so I'm really considering getting that. There's DSLs around for that price as well, and the JCAs are cheaper.

The one thing preventing me from getting a JCA is that they're butt ugly. I know that shouldn't be that big of a factor, but I want something that looks decent when I'm playing live and at jams. Call me superficial All things equal, I'll take the better looking amp for a little more money.

You guys rock.

I'm pretty sure you can get a different face plate for it, it's not very appealing either, but better than the blue one
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I actually liked the look of my JCA, but I thought that it looked sick with the metal grill, so I upgraded it. I also threw some white chicken head knobs on there. Theres a blue strip led in the back that I use at gigs. I think it looks pretty sweet

The grill was something like $25 from JC, the knobs were like $4, and the led was like $25.

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by evmac

You guys rock.

I'd get the full sized 1980 for $699
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
red.guitar - Ya that definitely looks a lot better! That grill and the dials really make it look more respectable.

stiff amplification? I'm not too familiar with them other than it's Tony Krank's new amp line, so I'm guessing the amp lines would be pretty similar. I'll have to look at some videos.

I just e-mailed the GC store to see if they would send me the Nineteen 80, hopefully all pans out (though most of the time they won't).
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by evmac
red.guitar - Ya that definitely looks a lot better! That grill and the dials really make it look more respectable.

stiff amplification? I'm not too familiar with them other than it's Tony Krank's new amp line, so I'm guessing the amp lines would be pretty similar. I'll have to look at some videos.

I just e-mailed the GC store to see if they would send me the Nineteen 80, hopefully all pans out (though most of the time they won't).

Sweet, I really want a 1980. I already have reached my quota on amp buying this 6 month period, it will have to wait
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Your better off calling the store the amp is in to order it. Then you give them your address after they know they are making the sale
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would just call the store. Sometimes they are not the quickest at getting back to you through email. I have called and asked them to take more pictures and send to me, and they normally do so in like 20-30 minutes. Hope the 1980 works out for you.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Oh, okay. Thanks bud. I'll call em tomorrow
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
They should be open until 7PM MT so you could call tonite
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Urgh! Guitar center makes me angry. They won't ship used gear to Canada (at least at this store and some others I've tried)

So then I thought I'll just get the 50watt jr from Krank.com - oh ya they don't sell to Canada either!

The only thing I could do is ship it to someone I know in the States and have them ship it to me, but I do not know anyone, at least anyone who is reliable

So the search continues I guess.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by evmac
Urgh! Guitar center makes me angry. They won't ship used gear to Canada (at least at this store and some others I've tried)

So then I thought I'll just get the 50watt jr from Krank.com - oh ya they don't sell to Canada either!

The only thing I could do is ship it to someone I know in the States and have them ship it to me, but I do not know anyone, at least anyone who is reliable

So the search continues I guess.

That sucks, I'd hook you up, but not knowing someone here does suck.

No one at all in the states?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I might get killed for saying this but you might want to check out the Trademark 60 by Tech 21. I have a bunch of great tube amps. I play my tech 21 while the tube amps warm up, sometimes I forget or don't want to play the tube amps. It's really a great amp that won't fail and I doubt anyone can tell its SS. It has reverb if you need plus great marshall distortion, it also has a button on the pedal for your effects loop. It's very versatile and in my opinion far superior to the DSL. Plus it's Made in the US and not Mexico. Les Paul used to gig with the Trademark.
I'm somewhat interested on Stiff amps, but I could not find that many videos that really showcased the amp model I want.

Now I got this serious GAS going for this Krank amp, so I'll probably be racking my brain constantly trying to think of a distant relative I know who lives in the states haha

If nothing turns up soon I will probably settle for the JCA50H
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Axe music sells Krank....
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Yeah, but only on specialty order, and the amp I would have got for 699.00 would be 1499.00 now.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
I just purchased an amp! I will hold you guys in suspense until the NAD. Thanks a lot for the all help guys.! I will put up some good demos of this Marshally beast!
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s